boot.ini erased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boot.ini erased

It happened so I accidentally erased boot.ini on my laptop interhal drive. What can you recommend so i can restore it, as i can't boot and need utility to boot and restore?

Re: boot.ini erased

I wonder how did you delete such a file so fast? Did someone mess with your lappy?

If you have a desktop pc, pull out your lappy's hard drive and install it in a USB enclosure. That will enable you to access your files. Once you got your data off, do a full reformat of your hard drive and install them drivers.

If you schedule backups, there may be a chance that the boot.ini was in the backups. Check that.

Or... Try the recovery console in the XP's Installer.

http://www.ntfs.com/ distributes shareware and freeware tools that run in DOS. Their primary thing is to recover data from NTFS drives in DOS mode, but the thing can even reset Admin Passwords.

Comment

Re: boot.ini erased

Or, you could just plop a new boot.ini file onto the hard drive. If it's in FAT32 you could do it from live CD Linux. If not, you will indeed need to hook the drive up to a different computer to access the hard drive.

But to reiterate the previous poster, how the hell did you delete boot.ini?

Comment

Working...
      X