Help end the lagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help end the lagging

I just got supreme commander for my birthday a few days ago. I already knew about the steep requirements, and i was aware that my computer could handle it. The computer (actually its a laptop) which was built custom for gaming has enough sapce, fairly decent (for a laptop, and good enough for my current standards)graphics card, and a good enough processor. For 3000$ it was a bargain for the parts (the graphics card alone costs about 900$). After installing the game, i noticed the graphics were fine but the game performance speed slowed down. I have limited (i know some things but not tonnes and tonnes)knowledge of copmuters, however i used what i did know to try and increase performance. After tweeking around with some processes that were un-necessary, and deleting programs i had gotten a moderate increase in game performance, but game paly was still slow.
    I have done the following as well:
    Allocate more virtual memory to drive
    Did a virus sweep and subsequent removal (i only have just gotten an anti-virus program, after being without one for 11 months, which got rid of 154 malicious and potentailly dangerous documents/files/executables etc.

Is there anything else that i can do that wont ruin my laptop?

Re: Help end the lagging

If you had that many infected files it may be a good start to format and reinstall. Also ... just saying that you have a good system really tells us nothing about your configuration. What are your system specs?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

formatting and re-installing is a good idea and i plan on getting it done
      but not by myself, i dont have experiance to fix something. Plus, the company that i bought my laptop from did not give me all the neccessary codes, not to mention they only gave me a trial version for a few of the programs IE. WinWord, Exel, etc. I have to contact them about that, but im always busy.
      And second of all i did not say my computer was raeally good, it was fairly decent were my words. specs are:
      2XPentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
      ATI Mobility RADEON X600 (laptop of course so smaller component)
      Thats all i could find at the time, ill have to dig some more.
      Doesnt matter anyways, ill probobly just call over my dad (telecom buisness, computers) and he can fix it for me, and yes i can still call over my dad because i am only 17.

Comment

Update video drivers -- almost always the first step.

Post system specs.

Post HijackThis log. See my signature.

Elaborate on what "performance speed slow down" in conjunction with "graphics were fine" is supposed to be indicating. These are not statements that have any discernible meaning as they are. Are you trying to say that you have good framerates, but the game speed is slow?

Also, in what scenarios do you find the slowdowns occurring? Big firefights, 80km maps, 500+ units, etc.

I have a near top-of-the-line system (8800GTS + 3GHz Core 2; would need Core 2 Quad and SLI to obtain better performance), and I find even my system will slow to a crawl on the largest maps when 800-1000 units are in play, and I don't even have graphical settings maxed.

The game is very intensive on the processor and RAM, and ends up presenting an entirely difference performance track than what most games have (framerate and loading times) in the form of a scalable game speed. In other words, even if your computer can handle the graphics without problems, the amount of calculations going on in larger scenarios will slow the game speed to a necessary level.

Comment

Yeah there are a lot of reports around the web about SC's performance issues, made most famous by the 50/100 review on GamePro AU. Unfortunately I think that those specs will probably struggle with SC, namely the X600, so I'm not sure there will be any quick fix other than limiting the visual settings of the game severely.

Comment

Pentium 4 2.8 and X600? That's craptastic by SupCom standards. That fails to meet the game's Recommended Requirements. Don't expect to run the game very well at higher than 1024x768 @ minimum graphical settings. don't try 80km x 80km, either.

Comment

154 malicious files!?! That lappy is due for a reinstall!

You could use ATI Tray Tools (find it at Majorgeeks.com, its free) and overclock the X600. Be careful.

If you can buy it, An SLI laptop from Clevo (the M590KE) will exceed the requirements. I wish I could buy one!

Comment

the chances are that your lappy has been compromised by bots and spyware as well, most anitvirus will not pick up spyware, so you'll need to put that on as well. (windows defender, adaware etc)

personally I'd format it and start again, since it will be (not maybe) compromised. It takes less than 20 minutes for an unprotected PC to be compromised. (if you brought it around to my place, I'd make you format it before I'd let play any games on my network)

I hope you've been putting the windows updates on it? If not the chances are that your lappy is being used for DOS attacks (ie somebody else has control of your machine)
                http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

DOS attacks by the way are very intensive on CPU power and resources. It could be possible. Use a free firewall like ZoneAlarm. Dont use the 'stock' firewall on XP.

Be sure to update your AV, Antispyware every week.

Comment

Working...
                  X