Rounded IDE cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rounded IDE cables

I was going to replace all my current ide cables with the silver braided ones. Are they that much better then the regular ones?
    I would imagine they would do some considerable cfm addage, but is it really worth it ?

Myself I'd rather just use a few ties and round the standard ones (no cutting though) as the rounded ones have shown performance hits and those overlenght ones even more so. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

good to hear, but have you used the rounded in your case to say that modding regular is better?

Comment

Not for mine but have had one case here where the extreme length (IDE cables are spose to be a max of 18" but most rounded ones are 24") of one was causing problems and good reviews of them have found them wanting. Checkout the findings here http://www.dansdata.com/rcables.htm :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

A properly rounded cable is going to have the same performance in regards to data transfer as the original ribbon. Regardless of whether it is one you do yourself or one purchased.
          The advantage to be had from using a rounded cable is that it can allow more airflow in some cases. ( Though I have never had much problem with managing to tuck a flat ribbon out of the way. ) Furthermore it is just more pleasing to the eye to see a nice rounded cable, particularly if it is nicely colored or flashy silver.

Anybody here ever successfuly change the placement of the IDE connectors on a cable?
          I've tried it, but haven't been able to get solid contacts across the ribbon. My system would be served well by a 12" IDE cable with connectors at 0, 6 and 12 inches as my connector on the mobo is so close to my drives.
          I hope to someday successfully shorten and round a cable, but just ain't got it to happen yet?
          I just always end up with a lot of useless cable between conectors that has to be tucked away - even when I round them:(
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I rounded my own cables for the optical drives. I did a pretty lame job, just rolled them like a joint and wrapped electrical tape all the way up and down 'em.

I've heard that rounded cables are not good for RAID configs tho.

Comment

i have rounded all of my cables by hand, including the 80-wire cables for my ATA100 hdds (2 30gig IBM 75GXPs in a RAID 0 array) and have noticed no ill effects. my hdd performance dropped like 1% or less (oh wow...lol).
              i have successfully shortened a ribbon cable, but not an IDE ribbon cable yet (and certainly not an 80-wire ATA66/100/133 cable...that would be a royal PITA, and probably make the cable unusable).

to M-Kong:
              machine-rounded cables arent any better (in terms of performance) than regular ribbon cables. with some "ribbon oragami" you can neatly hide your cables out of the way (try folding them under the MoBo). unless you have money to burn, or have a window in your side panel and want something better looking than ribbon cables, then you might want to consider getting the machine rounded cables (or save some cash and round them yourself). otherwise stick with what youve got :p

Comment

I use rounded cables in my computer on the HDD and CD Rom, Burner and DVD as well as the floppy.

They don't make in difference to performance but are meant to allow more airflow to pass by them for better cooling of the case. Also looks good with the different colours avaliable.

Comment

"Ribbon Origami"

LOL -- Well said Cyco-Dude:thumb:
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The professionally rounded cables I have worked with have been a pain to work with. They were the colored 'rubber' type of tubing around the wires, and it was EXTREMELY unflexible. Not only was it hard to bend, it wouldn't stay bent under any conditions.... Junk Junk Junk

I would expect that the cloth options are better in this area, but they are more expensive, and I just haven't had the need to use them, so I take the oragami route... hehe

Comment

Yeah, might as well save a few bucks and just get some cable ties or electrical tape IMO :thumb:

Comment

cheers peepols!

Comment

Your welcome : peace2:

Comment

Working...
                          X