No announcement yet.

XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX - Uber Performance, Monster Price Tag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX - Uber Performance, Monster Price Tag!

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX - Uber Performance, Monster Price Tag!"

Re: XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX - Uber Performance, Monster Price Tag!

I am sorry. These cards are a tragic waste of money and brain cells. Why in the hell would anyone with a rational thought in their body buy this card when it is just an overclocked GTX for far more money. This is just silly......
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Absolutely amazing card at this time! Awesome! I can't wait until this level of performance is available in a laptop!

Comment

You'll need to get a car battery for your laptop with a card that sucks this much power.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I want a notebook with 2560 x 1600 and an 8800 Ultra :D

Comment

Oh my goodness... I thought I am ready for that. I read the whole article, and my jaw was like, hanging for a good 12 seconds.

$1K - $1100 for just one card is downright destructive.
            Two power connectors (1st page) is power suckin', power bill risin
            Enough heat (and noise) to replace a furnace,

Its just a plain 8800GTX boosted with a voltmod to boost the overclockability.

To anyone who will be buying this: Prepare to be disappointed. You might need to upgrade many parts (CPU, PSU, RAM, etc.) to get the full potential of the Ultra. Prepare to spend more cash in upgrades. Not to mention the power bills. Can you say... The Slayer?

Comment

Great performance but I have to agree with everyone else. Given: nothing on the market today can support this card in a SLI configuration. The PSU alone would need to be customized and you are guaranteed to use water cooling.

Now, I'd rather take the money and buy 2 8800GTXs in SLI and leave this XXX in the dust.

Comment

For those who have expressed an interest, there are laptops with 1920x1200 resolution in a 17" diagonal, which is a very high quality pixel density and pixel pitch, but their graphics cards are weak, due probably to power consumption and heat issues.

The XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX (and any other factory-overclocked 8800 Ultra) is the best gaming card you can buy right now, and will probably remain so for a few months. Of course, you can get a factory overclocked 8800 GTX for hundreds of dollars less, and still have around 90% of the performance.

The justification for buying this card would be that it will give you a few more months before you have to buy your next computer in order to keep up with the latest games. Since a top of the line gaming rig can run upwards of five grand or more, there is some logic in that. Also, if you buy this card (or two for an SLI rig) you will be able to claim that you are king of the hill for a few months.

I bought an Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU when I heard the power requirements for the 8800 GTX last year, so I am already set in that regard. I have an SLI motherboard so I am not seriously looking at the R600, but would still like to see final benchmarks for it before I upgrade my graphics cards from my current pair of factory overclocked 7800 GTX 512s (which are not DX10 compliant, another reason to upgrade given that Crysis and Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures are coming later this year).

Whatever the case, I'll be sure to shop around for the best price before making a final purchase decision.

Comment

Working...
                X