Ques about Thermaltake volcano 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques about Thermaltake volcano 7

Hi, i am looking for a new cpu fan for my p3 1 ghz.
    Is the volcano 7 a good choise? I've read that it has a quite big & heavy heatsink, don't really know if it fits on my mobo, it does by the looks of it but not sure... I'm using Asus Tusl2-c mobo.
    I would really approciate any help or tip on this fan/heatsink.
    Is it a good choise?

:confused:

Since you're looking at Thermaltake, I would recommend the newer Volcano 7+ instead of the older Volcano 7 model. The original model has a built in thermal diode that automatically adjusts the fan speed depending on the temperature within the case. While this sounds like a great idea, if you have any sort of internal fans running, then the fans won't ever give you the best performance. Intake and exhaust fans help keep the case temperature nice and cool... which also causes the fan on the heatsink to spin slower all the time (no matter the load on the processor).

The Volcano 7+ also has adjustable fan speeds, but the adjustments are made by you and not automatically depending on system temperature. This allows you to decide how fast the fan should spin.

Also, the Volcano 7 has just a copper plug in the base of the sink, but the Volcano 7+ is a all-copper design with thin fins. This means that the cooling potential of the sink itself will be better than the older model.

Hope this answers your questions. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yes, thank you..

Comment

Is the Volcano 7+ the most effective "extreme cooling" solution avaliable for socket-370 on the market?

Comment

I have now read the rewiew about 7+ and I've just got to have one of those, incredible...!
          But do I really need to use a "copper shim" when installing it on a intel s-370 processor?

Comment

A copper shim would really be a waste on your P3 processor. The main purpose of these shims was to help protect the fragile core of the older Thunderbird processors. Since the Pentium chips haven't had much of an issue with broken cores, the application of one wouldn't really serve much of a purpose.
            My Toys

Comment

My cpu temp is 41-42 c without any load with my original Intelfan, (came with cpu). I hope to get it a couple degres cooler with the 7+.

Comment

More than likely you will manage to succeed in that goal, but you might also want to check into some case cooling. While not a critical temperature, a P3 ought to run a bit cooler than that (or so I've heard).
                My Toys

Comment

Agreed. The p3 should be hitting mid 40s under load should idle around the 30s

Shims for the p3 is indeed a waste of time, but intel core chipping is pretty common still, just not so much with the new coppermine cpus and p3/4
                  celerons chip just as easily as athlons, but correctly installing the heatsink each and everytime gives you a 0 chance of chipping.

I havnt read much about s370 coolers (as I dont have a s370 cpu fast enough to warrant the search of a cooler) but the 7+ is looking very smick.
                  GlobalWin make a s370 cooler that may be worth checking out. All-Copper as well. Cant remember the model number off the top of my head.

Comment

My 1GHz Pentium III runs no higher than 40 degrees under full load with a GlobalWIN FOP32-1 HSF attached to it. The only time I have seen the temperature go higher was when the ambient temperature hit 41 degrees in December last year LOL
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
                    X