Willamette Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willamette Cooling

I recently received a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 (thanks Intel :wave: ) to review Pentium 4 motherboards with. Problem is, I like to run UD, and UD = 100% CPU load. The problem is compounded by the fact that during summer it is rarely below 30 degrees in my room (33 degrees at the moment). This pushes the temperature up to almost 60 degrees celsius - not good :(

I am using an Evercool NW6-610 HSF with a 7000RPM Y.S. Tech fan strapped to it (over double the airflow of the stock fan) and it has dropped the load temperatures by about 7 degrees. But I'm still running in the high 50's. What can I do?

I'm interested in water cooling, but I have never seen Pentium 4 waterblocks. Does anyone know of any better air/water cooling for my CPU?

Thanks guys :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Try this link for water cooling http://www.silverprop.com/sp/default.asp and it's in Victoria. ;)
    <center></center>

Comment

And they say Athlons are hot chips....
      bah

Athlon XP 1600+ @ 38degrees
      Room temp:32degrees
      Cooling setup: GlobalWin WBK Heatsink, Y.S Tech 4500rpm 60mm fan. Arctic Silver freshly applied...should start to kick in tonite.

Try running CPU Idle to keep it cool. This will affect UD however.

That link Wiggo posted is pretty good source for water cooling..if youre up for the challenge/adventure that comes with it. (and you have some ca$h to spare)

I dont know many...well, any good cooling setups for Intel chipsets other than the GlobalWin 100% Copper series seem to do a good job...albeit expensive

Comment

I'm not into running with CPUIdle, it's a great program but it is a moot point if you are running UD. When I'm not running UD, both case and CPU temperature drop to a nice 35 degrees. I'll have a look at that site now :p

Comment

Ain't life a *****... "Received" a P4 1.7!! :eek:

I suggest getting a bigger sink - or at least one with more material (ie one that's heavier, has more fins, more surface area, etc). The YS Tech should have given you plenty of airflow, and as you mentioned idle temps are fine. Have you a blowhole at the side of your case blowing directly over the processor?

The temps of my Cel 1.1 dropped 7-9 deg celcius just by the addition of a 92mm Panaflo on the side, feeding the YS-Tech 7Krpm /ThermoEngine.
          Onyx

TweakTown
          OCAU - Overclockers Australia
          CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

I've just got the standard fan bays filled in my AOpen H600A case, 3 in the front and sides blowing in and 2 pushing air out. Have got a few tricks up my sleeve, will try them later ;)

Thanks for the advice guys :wave:

Comment

tricks??
              /me wanna see tricks :D
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Yeah tell us the tricks you want to use!

Comment

My "tricks" aren't really tricks per se, just simple things that I should be doing anyway ;)

First up, I don't really want to mod my new case just yet - but I do think I can improve on airflow a little bit by adjusting fans. I need to get a 60mm grille for Mr. Y.S. Tech, before he gets the munchies for cables.

Also I need to get around to putting Arctic Silver on the heatsink - should drop my temps by around 2-3 degrees I reckon. But I do need your advice on fan orientation...

I have 1 80mm fan bay in the front, like most cases. I have two 80mm bays on the right-hand side, one blowing over the RAID cage down the bottom of the case and another blowing over the normal hard drive bay. Two more 80mm bays are on the back of the case, near the processor.

I have the front 3 fans sucking air in and the 2 rear ones blowing air out..... is this OK? Or should I do something else with them ;)

Thanks guys :wave:

Comment

Well I imagine that the PSU is also blowin' out as well so thinks should be fairly even but the easiest way to tell how good the setup is is comparin' the case temp with the ambient and gettin' the two as close as possible to each other is the way. ;)
                    <center></center>

Comment

Oh one thing that I did forget is to make sore that the HSF is also gettin' a good supply of fresh air as well. ;)
                      <center></center>

Comment

Well, the ambient temperature is 30 degrees ATM, and the case temperature is 39 degrees with the CPU under full load. CPU is running at 51. However, I'm not all that confident in the thermal monitor on the AV40R..... :(

Comment

Just get one of those cheap electronic indoor/outdoor thermometers and use that to give you ya in case and room temps. ;)
                          You can also use it to find any hot spots inside the case also. :cool:
                          <center></center>

Comment

Well, I had a look on OCAU's forums and the guys with P4's there seem to be getting similar sort of temperatures, here's the link:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...threadid=32340

Comment

Working...
                            X