is my GF2 Ultra going under?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my GF2 Ultra going under?

Well, over the past few days My wifes computer (my old parts put together after I upgrade) has had random lock ups. She don't use it very much so I never dug into the problem. Well, now it does it every 15 mins or so. I had no clue what cause this until the Wife bought a Tiger Woods golf game. We tried and tried to install it but it kept locking up. So I just formated reinstalled Win 98se ...of course I installed 4-in-1'a first..then Det's, sound, and last Directx 8.1.

This time it let her install the game and play it....but as I was walking by...I thought I seen some artifacts flash across her screen. So Iasked her about it... She said yeah wierd stuff fashes around here and there. She also said it does lockup but not as bad.

Just remeber this is a fresh install with no overclocking at. Even the bios and memory settings are set to defualt.

So this morning I tried to run 3dmark 2001 and OMG I never seen so much Artifacts in my life...You could not even make out half os the benchmark it was flashing that fast... After a few seconds the pc locks up.

Now this Video card was bought in July of last year and it ran perfectly in my pc until I upgraded to a GF4 . So this Ultra replaced a gf2 mx400 that was originaly in her pc.

I have also tried this Ultra in my computer ...but it is worse...I can't even make start 3dmark2001.. it just locks up

However, I placed the gf2mx back in her pc and things are fine. So I am sure it nothing else beside the Ultra card....

Anyone know if these are the symptons of a failing card?
    Has anyone have the same problem (without oveclocking it) or might have a solution?
    Anyone know how good Visionteks RMA department is?

Thanks guy

Sounds bad for the card since it does it in multiple machines. It seems that you're on the right track. Contact VisionTek and see how good their warranty service is.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

So let me get this straight- your WIFE brought a GOLF game.

Geez, some people have all the luck. Hold on to that one hbidad.
      :)

As for the problems, Try poking around in the bios and turning down your aperture and off any agressive settings. Re-setting bios back to optimised defaults is also another good one, final step I reckon would be putting the agp socket back from 4x to 2x then trying to reproduce the error(s).

Comment

The bios is all set to the defualt values...no tweaks what so ever...

Even after I cleared the Bios....set only the Cpu settings (even tried it at 100fsb) and a fresh format.

Comment

Is the Heat Sink on properly?....if it is then it can't be heat, i'd assume your card has just decided to scre up on ya for no reason, bad luck man...

Hope you can get it replaced :thumb:

Comment

lol when i first got my system i was screwing around with it...and after i put a crystal orb on my ti500 that i had at the time it kept giving blank images...after a few hrs of panicking i was staring at it hopelessly willing it back to life wen i noticed a small smudge of arctic silver on the pcb....it was shorting out my video card:shoot3:

and since that day i have been EXTREMELY paranoid with arctic silver on video cards....just this afternoon after i reaplied arctic silver on my GF4 i thought i could hear a strange humming sound and emmidiately took it out and checked it.....after about an hr i realised one of the screws on my swiftech's delta was a bit loose and rattling:afro:

Comment

as a matter Of fact...there is ASII on there but it has been on there since I got the card.... I will clean it of and check tonight

Comment

I'm just wonderin' if the card is gettin' enough juice. :?:

Comment

Well all the rails are normal or higher with a 400watt PSU..

This is weird ...I replaced the card today (not making any changes) and things seem fine... I have been running 3dmark demo looped for about 1 1/2 hours now and things seem to be normal.. I just wonder if it had a bad connection on the AGP slot or something.

I have been trying to get it to do it again..

Well hmm I did remove HSF to check on the ASII and to make sure it was actualy making contact with the GPU which was ok as far as I could see.

Who know what is going on...I would like to know that it is dying instead to find it dead.

Comment

So let me get this straight- your WIFE brought a GOLF game.

Geez, some people have all the luck. Hold on to that one hbidad.
                    Haha, I was thinking the same thing... :laugh:

Comment

lol, yes she is a golfer. Her Dad owned a nice Golfcourse and of course it just grew on to her.

Comment

yea sounds like there's a loose connection on the card...maybe when u handled it you 'bumped' it bak into place?:afro:

hah wow a wife that not onli plays golf but plays PC games

Comment

Yes, I'm currently experiencing the same problems with my Leadteck Winfast GeForce 2 Pro 64MB DDR AGP video card.....
                          i think it just overheats, b/c the fan on the heatsink doesnt run as well as it used to...i might have to clean it out or something

If not, im just going to have a chat with Leadtek, the card is not even 1 year old...not sure how the warranty is

Comment

you shouldn't have any problem at all getting warranty on it....as long as you havn't done a voltage mod or something :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                            X