Can I *undo* my .rar format change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I *undo* my .rar format change?

I'm having a problem opening a folder filled with .rar files. My understanding of this programming stuff is very limited, so humor me..

The program folder I downloaded from my roommate contains 30 or so files that can be opened with RAR, while there are 30 or so other files with a '.r#' extension (# standing for a number) that do not have a default program to open with.

Me being the idiot I am and for reasons I cannot remember, renamed one of the blank files to have a '.rar' extension. Now that file opens with RAR, and I can no longer unzip the program as a whole.

Is there anyway I can change that file back to it's original state? That is, when I double-click on it, Vista will give me the option to look for a program on the web or to open using an existing program?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.. :)
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Re: Can I *undo* my .rar format change?

Control Panel (classic mode) > Folder Options > View
    Untick "Hide Extensions for known file types"

Rename the file to whatever extension it had.

To extract a split set of .rar files, you should use Winrar or 7-Zip. A quick Google search should get you what you need, as it would had you simply used the search term ".rar"

I think the bigger problem here is that Vista is being used. < (Says the man posting from a Vista Home Premium Dell E1705)

Comment

Re: Can I *undo* my .rar format change?

Oh my gosh, thank you so much, Yawgm0th - that helped me so much, and the fact that you knew such a quick and easy fix for it was simply amazing!
      Thanks again, man!
      Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
      Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
      CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
      CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
      GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

Working...
      X