What do you think of Norton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Norton?

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Norton Systemworks 2004 and Norton internet secturity. Norton products worked on our old pentuim 2 pretty well, so just trying to figure out if they have stayed with their reliablity.

Re: What do you think of Norton?

I've used Norton for a while, but I personally use AVG. AVG works very well and constantly updates itself. Norton is VERY difficult to completely remove from a system. Why do you want to use the 2004 edition? It would make more sense to use the latest version.

Comment

Norton was created by the Devil to punish those too lazy to look for better free security programs.

@ Porscheguy, this is most likely a spammer just making a few odd random posts before dropping his spambots off to do their evil work.......
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

It is, but the sig has been removed and the IP banned.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Norton is frustrating me, AVG is cool.

Comment

LOL AVG is one of the worst things you can rely your trust on. I have 50 computers (scanned profiles) I can prove this with.

SUPERAntiSpyware
            & Webroot (w/ firewall) are the best combination. Free for the former, $40 for the latter.

As for Norton....

Yellow things = on snow
            Last edited by Poseidonas; 12-22-2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Poseidonas just how much personal experience do you have with AVG?? I've been using it sucessfully on several of my own personal computers as well as a lot (50+) of other systems for a few years now. VERY rarely does a virus sneak past it. No antivirus is perfect and as you stated antispyware should be run occasionally. An online virus scan from time to time is not a bad idea if one wants a second opinion. I also do scans with ad-aware, spybot s&d, and A2 on my personal systems to clean out extra crud from time to time but then I wander some very dark regions of the net.
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

My installation of Windows Vista doesn't like AVG, so I use Avast Antivirus, which is free but will need registration and an optional survey - which is also free. Asquared AntiSpyware works for me, as my Vista hates Spybot.

And I use ZoneAlarm Free for a firewall. Like it!

Also ditch Internet Explorer for Firefox, and install the NoScript Plugin.

I think the programs you pay for is not worth it if it has a free alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
                  Norton was created by the Devil to punish those too lazy to look for better free security programs.
                  What he said many many many months ago.

AVG is proven to be the most effective software out there, for free atleast.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I think with a little common sense, the average home PC user with some basic internet knowledge can get by without an anti virus program. I'm betting alot of people will not agree with me on this but I personally feel all the anti virus programs I have ever tried slowed my system down enough or messed something up in Windows enough that I've felt taking a chance on getting a virus and scrapping the AV programs were a better option. 2 virus since 1994 isn't bad in which one was easy enough to get rid of with a Google search on how to do it and the other was way back when I never even knew about Google.
                    I say Spyware, malware, ect are a little different story though. Those are close to impossible to avoid unless you are disconnected from the net altogether, and don't buy a PC with the stuff already preloaded on it or any other software that has it packaged with it for that matter. I wish there were better options.

Comment

ummmm ......how would you know if you only had two viruses if you have no antivirus program? If everyone went without an antivirus program then most would not be aware of their infected system untill it slowed down considerabley ..... of course that would be long after they had infected most of their friends. I'm of the opinion that antivirus programs are not optional for responcible netizens.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

industry tests prove that the top 10 antivirus software products all pick up 99.99 % of virus's.

The major difference between them is the interface - we use symantec antivirus(made by norton) at work mainly because of its management software (remote installs central logging etc)

At home I use AVG or Avast.

Norton system works is just about the worst possible to use - major resource hog

I have a friend who believed he didn't have virus's on his computer (an IT professional) so he didn't have antivirus either - claimed he hadn't had a virus for ages. I decided to actually check - we found about 130 different types of viruses - he now runs antivirus.

I'd be very surprised to find a computer connected to the net without antivirus actually being virus free. (with the right patches & a really good firewall - well maintained, and not being used to do anything - it might be possible)
                        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
                          ummmm ......how would you know if you only had two viruses if you have no antivirus program? If everyone went without an antivirus program then most would not be aware of their infected system untill it slowed down considerabley ..... of course that would be long after they had infected most of their friends. I'm of the opinion that antivirus programs are not optional for responcible netizens.

Good point, but I do tend to do a virus scan near the end of my OS's life and occasionally in between. In my opinion having an antivirus program running in the background is like having one or more of those virus's you say (slow a system down considerably). Maybe the newest CPU's can handle the job better. At this moment I'm using a P4 system and noway could I live with the likes of Norton on this baby! The cure is worse than a possible future disease for something I will most likely never get before this 3 year old machine with the original OS install retires next month virus free as well as anti virus free.
                          Last edited by Spongebob; 02-12-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I have Norton 360 07 version and Spyware Doctor. I would have to say Spyware Doctor seems to remove alot more virus and such from my computer. But then agian they mite be used for different reasons also. Why not have both? Norton $50 (I think) and Spyware $20

Comment

Don't go with Norton, go with AVG it is best and free.

Comment

Working...
                              X