Suggestions for this computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for this computer?

I might leave this one up to the AMD freaks on this forum as I'm not up on Athlon mobos and the like ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

1) pick out an XP compatible mobo for the 1900......buy your self some head room... I like the MSI boards myself, but the Asus and Epox are good too. Check the AMD site......

2) Why a T-bird? XP 1600 is the same price w/ lots of beni's.......If it's OC'g and your wanting an easy one to unlock....good choice.

3) I'd get the V7 over the V6......reveiw'd to be a better hsf & not that much more.

Spend a little now and save alot down the road. Especially on the MOBO! just a though:thumb:

ps- checkout www.newegg.com , better $$$$$

Comment

Not bad but may I suggest a motherboard based on the VIA KT266A chipset as the AD11 is a stable board but not a real performer and by your prices I take it that ya in the US and an EPoX 8KHA+ would cost about the same. ;)
        <center></center>

Comment

I posted a couple suggestions in the same AMD thread, sorry, didn't see this one.

I agree with Wiggo and about the 8kha+ and Dlab about the XP.
          Don't cheap out on the PSU, you will be sorry later... *turns to hear voice of experience* :laugh:

Whatever you go with, don't let a couple buck be your overriding decision. I think we are on a budget, but if you are unhappy with your choice in a couple months, is the 5 or 6 bucks worth it? That's an answer you have to come up with yourself. And once you answer that, I think you will be happy with whatever you choose.

Cheers
          Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

OK i decided to switch the mobo to the epox 8kha+ with the 1.4 tbird. i dont want an xp mainly because im on a fixed budget here. if the 300W Athlon is not a good PSU than could someone reccomend a better one (if possible from directron.com or newegg.com) and one more thing... the epox board only has one 3 pin connector to put a case fan in but i would add another with a 4 pin psu connector. i was reccomended to get this one by a friend Thermaltake 80X80X25mm FAN, 2 Ball Bearing, 2900+/- 10% RPM, 37CFM Air Flow, with 3pin/4pin adapter. Retail. But i dont think that the 120 mm would fit in the (i dont know the word) fan holder in the front of the case (in-win s500)

Comment

If you can try for a 350w PSU but as for the fan (and yes without modding it would have to be an 80mm) there are more powerful ones (4000-4500rpm) on the market to be had almost anywhere. :smokin:
              <center></center>

Comment

OK, now that i think about i might get an amd XP but the thing is that is the 8KHA+ compatible with the XP's?

Comment

Originally posted by XFinity
                  OK, now that i think about i might get an amd XP but the thing is that is the 8KHA+ compatible with the XP's?

Most definitely!
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

:D

Comment

that'll be a nice system - similar to my own :thumb:

WRT power supplies - you don't need a huge one, 300w is enough for most home users, but you do need a good quality one with consistant output - that's the key

I've had good luck with enlight & youngyear - both are reasonably priced - of course you can't go wrong w/enermax - but they cost a little more

Comment

I upgraded to the Enermax 350W. I think it was a good purchase. Are you considering overclocking?

Good luck! :thumb:

Comment

most likely ill be OC'in

Comment

You will wanna consider things like number peripherals and number of fans. I got into a problem where I didn't have enough power for everything after I overclocked. In particular, my cpu and vid card were fighting for power, both figuratively and literally. My cpu won everytime and usually ended up with me booted out of the game I was trying to play.

Just something to think about.
                            :hammer:

Comment

Originally posted by XFinity

Loved this bit of AMD's site. They test all for compatability... they don't however reccomend one over the other so there is no bias on the site.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X