need help oc PIII on CUSL2-C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help oc PIII on CUSL2-C

i am running an intel PIII cpu on an ASUS CUSL2-C. is there any possible way i can overclock the ram capacity on the mobo so it will allow more than 512 sdram?

512MB of RAM is a limitation of the i815 chipset I'm afraid - no matter what you do it will NOT take more than 512MB :(
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

That was Intel trying to make people buy RAMBUS for large RAM support - *******s

Comment

thanks guys... i am debating whether i should get an alternate motherboard that can hold more than 512 ram all the while still supporting my PIII cpu. any recommendations?

Comment

You could always get a board with "via" chipsets instead, they suport more than 512 mb ram. There are many boards on the market with that chip and s-370 support. Can't really recommend any board cause I haven't got any experience with them...
          I run the exakt same asus board as you, they are great! Do you really need more than 512 mb? It's enought for me until I upgrade my cpu...

Comment

I'd say the Abit VH6-T, good features and cheap too. The "t" denotes Tualatin support so you get some upgradability too.

PS why do you think you need more than 512Mb anyways?

Comment

i guess the answer to your question would be because i figure since i am working with many rendering programs, more ram would only be beneficial. maybe my thinking is overkill, or maybe i am just envious of how there are mobos out there that can hold up to 3 gigs of ram, or maybe i am just a sucker. :rolleyes:

Comment

Rendering is very processor intensive as well, is it possible that PIII is giving you all it has to give:?:
                Have you ever checked to see how much free mem you have left when doing this rendering?
                Typically you wouldn't run such an app at that time, but just as an experiment you might try it.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I personally wouldn't use more than 512MB with a Pentium III processor, I'd spend the money on an Athlon or a Pentium 4 - they have more grunt for 3D rendering :thumb:
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I agree with that. Sinking money into a P3 system at this stage is not fruitful for someone who is often uses demanding apps.

Comment

Yeah, I think he just likes the sound of having 3 gigs of RAM...lol, but don't we all :D

Comment

Working...
                      X