n00b Question on RAID and HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b Question on RAID and HDD

hey guys...i'm another noob...and i might sound stupid...but you guys are prolly used to n00bs asking questions.:D Anyhow. my new setup is going to a be ABit KX7-333R w/ raid my question w/ two WD 80 gig HDD's with 8 mb buffer would that buffer be a conflict with RAID and the other question is that the ATA is 100 not 133 any conflicts with that...Recommendations also valued thanx guys and sorry if i insult you guys with my "n00bness".
    - Damien

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you'll find that you don't have to worry too much about questions you have when trying something new. We'll help as much as we can. :)

The ATA rating is nothing more than the maximum theoretical throughput that you can expect to see. It is unlikely that you'll ever get in this range. That said, all of the ATA133 controllers are backwards compatible with earlier technologies. You'll be safe in this regard.

As for the large buffer, I can't say for sure because I've not used two WD drives in a RAID, but there should be no problems with it. The buffer is nothing more than a means holding extra data that you'll need soon so that it can have it ready to transfer to the system faster than searching for it on the drive platters. The benefit of a RAID 0 setup is that it can do this with two drives at the same time. I can't think of a reason that it would conflict with the array.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for your understanding and your reply...Greatly Appreciated :) Darth what would you recommend a Maxtor 133 ?
      - Damien

Comment

Just because a drive is ATA133 doesn't mean it is faster. As of the last time I checked the speeds, the WD Special Edition drives have been smoking all competitors hands down. They should do extremely well in a RAID setup.

My second choice would be the Seagate drives. They're reasonably proced and manage to keep pretty close in the speed department when compared to the WD monsters.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

I guess I should add that the Seagates have had some trouble in RAID 0 configurations, but I hear there are gonna be some new ones shipping that have the problem fixed. The WD 8meg drives are supposed to have SCSI-like performance in certain areas.

Comment

Yea i know thats what got me hooked on those 8MB WD Hard Drives...thx guys...i guess i'll give them a try i found them for US$134 (80 GB 8MB) each. Anyone found anything cheaper (online)?:bounce:
            - Damien

Comment

One more thing...do you guys think...i should have some sort of cooling on these two WD drives...if so...what do you recommend?
              - Damien

Comment

I've never had any cooling on any WD and they've never failed yet. If you feel the need to Vantec, among other companies, makes hard drive coolers that you screw onto the bottom of the drive.

Comment

Thanks and nice attchment (pic) you have there real badass.:thumb:
                  - Damien

Comment

I've never had any cooling on any WD and they've never failed yet
                    Thats a pretty impressive stat, ML...
                    Whats the warmest ambient room temps that those PC's see?

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul

Thats a pretty impressive stat, ML...
                      Whats the warmest ambient room temps that those PC's see?

I can speak from my experience with WD drives, none have failed, and the warmest ambient my 7200RPM WD has seen is 44C and still works fine :)

Yes, that was the great heatwave of February 2001 :flames:
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Yes I agree completely. I am a huge fan of WD, and I was amazed at the positive support for them on this forum. Another forum I frequent (Quake geeks forum) where in general, the participants are less than computer savvy, and most of them are hardcore maxtor. I'd link them to the poll thread where Maxtor got raped, but I'm afraid they'd start posting here. :laugh:

Comment

Haha thats funny...i'm also a big fan of WD, always used them...just wanted make sure that with the special edition (which kick ass by the way) drives would be ok with a RAID setup...alot of people have made it clear. Only other drive i've used is Maxtor but i had no choice it came in my old HP. :D
                          - Damien

Comment

I don't keep track of any temps other than my CPU ones. I also keep my machines in the basement (where my room is...concrete floor:( )

Glad ya like my sig pic, Flaco. It seems I'm not the only one who fancies goth chicks:lips:

Comment

Yea ML, i'm not gothic myself but that pic was nice the way she was holding that guitar looking down on it...real nice...real cool. Like the new one too:D .
                              - Damien

Comment

Working...
                              X