Power problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power problem

For my computer at home, there is 2 rows of 4 power points on the wall. Plugged in I have power cords for:

- 1 x Y-cable (going to 17" monitor and my PC)
    - 1 x 4 point speaker system + woofer
    - 1 x modem
    - 1 x PC cable to 15" monitor
    - 1 x PC cable to second PC
    - 1 x stereo speakers

Now, I've been having power probs from my PC lately, with random shutdowns, etc... so I was going to replace my 250W PSU with something bigger... however, I noticed that these problems only occur when the other computer is switched on. Secondly, when I ran a third computer from the power points while playing mp3z on my computer, when I switched the third one on the mp3 would stutter for about 5 seconds... So now i'm thinking there is simply a lack of power for all the devices coming from the wall...

So, after all that, will a new PSU actually help me here, or do I need an alternative power source?

ya can borrow my UPS for a while and see if that helps.

Comment

I might do that.. i'll grab it tonight.

Comment

From your description it definitely seems the outlet is maxxed out.
        Time to get some more wattage in you cottage.

Umm, do you rent? Cause if you own, you can always run some cable from a different circuit and get rid of the problem by divying up the load.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

sadly, I do rent... but we are on good terms with the owners, so I'll have a talk to him sometime about it. We are getting some electrical work done anyways, so I'm sure they could do this too... or I'll see how the UPS goes.

Comment

ahhh thats NP beef

ever heard of extension leads?
            most houses have at least 2 different circuits for power points, i know ours has 4, so just plug into another circit, NP's :)
            TT Original

Comment

get some weather proof extension leads, you got 2 neighbours who arent using all their power :p

Comment

most houses have at least 2 different circuits for power points
                Holy crap I'd hope so... our house has about 30 curciuts. Our kitchen by itself has 5 circuits... fridge, oven/micro, and three dedicated with two outlets each, and thats just the kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                X