No announcement yet.

Some Questions Regarding AMD AthlonXP MB (KT333)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions Regarding AMD AthlonXP MB (KT333)!

Hello all,

I have some questions that I'd appreciate if anyone can kindly answer them for me!

1. I am currently trying to decide on these two VIA KT333 motherboards.

(a) ASUS A7V333 - it's quite expensive, the only reason I am considering this
    one is because of the thermal protection which is not provided
    on the other two boards.

(b) GIGABYTE GA-7VRXP - it's much cheaper, has USB 2.0 support and performed well in
    the test and reviews I've read, but no thermal protection.

Can someone give me some advices?

2. I've heard that AMD cpus burn down very easily, so I am just thinking if thermal protection
    is nessacary for me since I do not plan on overlocking. By the way, if I were to get the retail
    package, is the AMD fan any good?

3. All motherboards mentioned support ATA133. However, UDMA-100 and UDMA-33 are the cables
    that come with the boards. Does that mean, even though ATA133 is supported, and you are
    using a ATA133 hard drive, the transfer rate will still stay at ATA33 or 100 instead of 133?
    Or it doesn't work like this? Cause I don't really know.

Thank you very much for reading and any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Ok here goes.

1/ I'd go the Gigabyte. (see No.2 PC in sig)

2/ They will only fry quickly if turned on without a HSF or if the HFS hasn't been propperly attached.

3/ The naming of the cables is really not correct as the ATA33 cable is suitable for up to ATA33 support where the ATA100 cable is actually for support of ATA66 and above which includes ATA133. They really should have been called 40wire and 80 wire IDE cables IMO.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Maybe try the AV7333. It can't possibly be worse than my 7VRXP. Of course you didn't mention being able to run AGP 4x or a 133fsb so NOT being able to do so on a 7VRXP probably isn't important.

7VRXP

Comment

Dont do either! they both suck. If you want good price and thermal protection there is only ONE choice. Soltek SL75DRV5. and its a damn good board too

Comment

Just a general note. Gigabyte sux. Ive heard nothing good about them from anyone who uses them, not to mentio the tech support. As for the naming of IDE cables, yes they should be called 40 & 80 wire. You need 80 wire to run anything above ATA33.

Comment

If you buy an A7V333, and intend to flash the bios, steer clear of the Live Update software on the supplied CD.

I tried using it and it blue screened during the flash and killed my bios.:mad:

Comment

Originally posted by Ehhe Yebeb
              Just a general note. Gigabyte sux. Ive heard nothing good about them from anyone who uses them, not to mentio the tech support. As for the naming of IDE cables, yes they should be called 40 & 80 wire. You need 80 wire to run anything above ATA33.
              Heres another general note:

Gigabyte have one of the best support teams I know

They are friendly,quick and reliable...

I have never had any serious trouble with their products...and if we do have a problem they are quick to replace it..

What do you think is wrong with their tech support?

I think nothing...but every company has their glitches..

I am a Gigabyte user myself and will not go back..:thumb:
              Quick!!….Pack your bags!!…

The Elephants are coming!!…

Comment

I can recommend MSI KT3 Ultra or KT3 Ultra-ARU (RAID and USB 2.0 and 6ch audio)

Comment

some1 nominate an epox board or three, they are a great company, and if they do woth they are meant to do well, u'll never know wot their tech support is like, if u do, i'd worry about their products ;)

Comment

Based on my only experience with Epox, I can't say I'd recommend them (ended up buying my current board from a local shop instead of waiting for a replacement for the 8K3A+ from Newegg). It's nothing personal, and I'd like to try them again, but, you know...

MSI is a safe bet, IMO. They're pretty well priced and have good performance. Generally, they're not the highest overclocking boards (but that's why we have Epox and Abit), tho they do have extra goodies (lots of USB).

Comment

I've basically used Gigabyte and MSI boards my whole life, and never had a single problem with them (apart from stupid mistakes that were my fault).

Comment

I highly suggest the AOpen AK77-333, it has been selling like hotcakes here in Brisbane and users are having very little trouble with them :)
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
                        X