Building a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new PC

I'm building a new pc and after going through stuff with some friends i have come up with this system.

Antec 900 Case - $112 ($120 Canadian)

Core 2 Duo e6750 - $206 ($220 Can)

MSI P6N Platinum (650i sli) - $150

xfx 8800 gts 640mb Extreme - $410

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6400 ram (2x1gb) - $140 ($150 Can)

OCZ 700W GameXStream Power Supply - $131 ($140 Can)

I haven't decided on a hd or dvd drive yet, but those aren't my main concerns (i know, hd is important ). One question, is it worth it to go with 8500 ram over 6400? I hear people have overclocked the crucial ram to 1000mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings which seems pretty good, with that in mind does it make sense to upgrade to 8500?

The reason for the sli mobo is because i plan to add another 8800gts down the road when i need it.

Last but definitely not least, im getting a new monitor as well. The one that s first on my list right now is the Samsung Syncmaster 226BW - $328 ($350 Can).

If you have any comments/suggestions on components, the system as a whole or on where I can find better prices, they would be much appreciated

Re: Building a new PC

Posting what country you live in and what you plan on doing with this PC would make a huge difference in the advice you'd get.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

My guess would be Canada given the price quotes in parentheses.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
        My guess would be Canada given the price quotes in parentheses.

Next time I should open my eye's before I post.

In that case, you really need to be looking at NCIX for parts and prices. They are the best possible source for parts inside Canada.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The NewEgg prices are interesting but I do not believe they ship to Canada. I have had good experiences dealing with NCIX online and MemoryExpress both online and in person at their Edmonton location. They both seem very professional and knowledgeable and I will probably deal with both in the future. I have yet to deal with warranty issues or shipping mistakes with either. MemoryExpress sometimes beats NCIX for priceing and is a little faster shipping since they are closer to me.
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Yes, im from Canada
            I have been to memory express before and some of my friends have bought stuff from them too, they have always been awsome. I have never dealt with NCIX before but thanks for the tip ill try them out. Prob buying everything next week so thanks for the tips.

Comment

I would suggest getting onto jlxperts.com They could set you up with the best system around for the best price

Comment

Umm ....good idea dayeaw....except that their website states they do not ship outside of the U.S.
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

My bad, I am friends with the owners. They thought they had it worked out. Might not have updated the site. You can always drop them a note though and ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X