Building new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building new computer

Good morning. Could sure use some help here. I'm in the process of building a new computer and am running into a snag. Here's my setup:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz
    ADATA 1 GB DDR2 800 x2
    ATI X1950XT card
    Western digital 500 GB SATA hard drive

Currently trying to install Win XP and with the bios set to enable the SATA drive I get the "windows cannot detect a hard drive" error. Tried slipstreaming a driver into my cd but couldn't get it to work. Went and bought a floppy drive and will be trying to find a working computer with a floppy to make a boot disk today.

When changing the bios to enable the sata drive to run as an IDE I get a BSOD and a stop error. (Think it was 0x000000F or 7F?). I have another hard drive that I will try out later today to make sure it isn't a faulty hdd. I've already switched out memory. I'm thinking it may be the motherboard.

The cpu is a 1333 fsb and I've read you have to change that on the motherboard manually. But I've not seen that option. How do you access that? Could that be the source of the stop error? If not, any other ideas? Hoping I can get the computer up and running before I have to go out of town this afternoon. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Building new computer

ok first thing to do is bios update on the motherboard

go to gigabyte website and get the latest bios and associated files, use your floppy drive and create a boot disk and update your bios - www.bootdisk.com if your don't have one.

gigabyte will have instructions on how to do this.

give that a go and see what happens
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Hi

What is your flowing item setup in integrated peripherals?
      1.SATA RAID/AHCI Mode
      2.Onboard SATA/IDE Device
      3.Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl mode

Comment

Update:

It was a hard drive issue. I used the SATA hard drive from the second pc I was going to build and it was detected without a problem.

Now I have another question:

I was going to build a second pc with the same specs, but when I initially tried turning it on the cpu fan would not run. I had to put slight pressure on the motherboard for it to kick in. I sent it off for a replacement.

Now I'm noticing my first board do the same thing. Where the cpu fan used to initally start up, now it will not. If I look a minute or two later, it will be on. Is this intended or is there a problem with the board?

Comment

depends

not very helpfull thou

some boards have "cool N Quiet" or some varient where they stop fans/slow them down - if its turned on in your bios, then all is fine
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I guess that is because FAN speed control function.
            When it control fan speed depending on CPU temp or loading,
            Sometimes it will not runs immediately in start up.
            Try to disable "FAN Speed Control Method" and " FAN Speed Control mode"
            It might be better.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot.

My next issue seems to be a common problem with this motherboard. I cannot get any audio from this board. I have downloaded SP2 and then manually installed the UAA driver from the cd followed by the realtek audio driver. However, no audio device is being detected when I check the Sounds and Devices under the control panel. And I get an error message whenever trying to play a audio file.

Comment

Well I uninstalled SP2, and downloaded SP1a online. Then I was able to get the audio working.

Comment

Working...
                X