RAM-CPU Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM-CPU Question

Im looking to buy a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo Processor with a FSB of 1333MHz. Now when I look at memory, I am somewhat confused about what I should get. Could I stick four 800MHz Dual-Channel Sticks in there or do I need to go to DDR3 and get sticks rated at 1333MHz to get the max performance out of the processor and memory? I guess my question boils down to can DDR2 Dual Channel handle a 1333MHz CPU without a loss of performance?

Re: RAM-CPU Question

Personally you'd have to be nuts to pay for ddr3 over DDR2 800 as the price difference between the two types doesn't reflect the nothing to 4% real performance gain that ddr3 offers atm.

Comment

Well. ok.... but the question remains. With a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo CPU at a FSB speed of 1333MHz, what type of RAM should I be looking for so that I don't get a bottleneck with the Memory Controller.

Maybe Im just saying the wrong thing here. I don't want my CPU to idle because the RAM can't handle all of the data the CPU is sending the RAM... so how would I go about doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by greendruid85 View Post
        Well. ok.... but the question remains. With a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo CPU at a FSB speed of 1333MHz, what type of RAM should I be looking for so that I don't get a bottleneck with the Memory Controller.

Maybe Im just saying the wrong thing here. I don't want my CPU to idle because the RAM can't handle all of the data the CPU is sending the RAM... so how would I go about doing that?
        checkout microdirect quad core for 160 quid plus cheap high spec ddr2 u can get quad core with 1066 bus and 2 gigs memory to match the speed for less than 260 quid
        they do the higher version quadcore with 1333 bus speed but you need ddr3 to match it but do know they have ddr3 boards 4 100 quid

Comment

Here's just one comparison of, DDRII vs DRRIII, plus there are several more floating around web but they all basically come to the same conclusion.

If you have $'s to burn and are eager for those last extra few points/frames then that's up to you.

Comment

Working...
          X