PDA

View Full Version : why is there such a lack of releases for pc games

samtomjohn1
08-31-2007, 02:52 AM
For instance stuntman ignition is out for 360 ps3 and wii but not pc.

project gotham 3 would of been awesome for my pc

same goes 4 forza 2

i hope grand theft auto 4 will be out 4 pc otherwise rockstar games will be letting us down yet again same s they did by bringin bully out

really wanted a shot tuntman seen the advert 2 da same goes 4 forza **** u microsoft they know what their doin makin people go and waste money on a lame 360 when they got 8800 in sli sat at home
dont they realise theyre losing money cos peope r goin out and buyin ps3 and they could have really reeled a lot of by being versatile

genuine lovers of my microsoft we salute cos microsoft rocks

microsoft r z ocp of the future

for those of you who do kow what ocp is think robocop

ps
i do not upload at all but iama ery good seeder as i leave them to seed for days
if any1 can tell me sum good websites to get downloads from give me a shout also if any 1 could send me invite let me know @

im not mentioning any names for websites cos im not gonna help em get in crap
sammytomjohn@msn.com

Kheldar
08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
the consols like to have exclusive games and thus tend to write contracts to prevent other versions being released.

thats one of the reasons

Nza
08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
It is a bit of a shame some more of the "other" genre games (you know, other than FPS/RTS/RPG) can't also see release on the PC, but whenever I get a press release sent across about a new game coming out, I'm actually a little surprised about how many are aimed for a PC release.

It's not a huge amount, but when I'm posting news on TTGamer about a new game coming out, I'm often pleasently surprised about how many times I find myself typing "coming for release on PS3, 360 and PC".

In any case, you have to consider that for any game that will struggle to sell well on a console, it will only struggle a lot more on PC in most cases. When you combine this with what Kheldar said about exclusivity (which literally sells consoles), then I think that explains a lot of the reason why.

samtomjohn1
09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
In any case, you have to consider that for any game that will struggle to sell well on a console, it will only struggle a lot more on PC in most cases. When you combine this with what Kheldar said about exclusivity (which literally sells consoles), then I think that explains a lot of the reason why.[/quote]

u mean people are silly as sheep en u wreckon theyll bring an emulator for 360 games en

casecutter
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Emulator's never work well and they never allow you to properly play a game. Besides, consoles do run games better for the most part. Us PC gamers need our heads examined for trying to keep these things powerful enough to play the latest releases on.......

Aguiluz
09-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Emulator's never work well and they never allow you to properly play a game. Besides, consoles do run games better for the most part. Us PC gamers need our heads examined for trying to keep these things powerful enough to play the latest releases on.......

Agree with that! I have an NES emulator (I got an NES but I left it behind) and some games hang. I got also a PSX emulator (ePSXe) but it sucked so I purchased a Sony PSone. (I like Spyro!)

On Best Buy, I tried playing a PS3 and it rocks, totally. And $1800+ for a PS3 and a 50" plasma vs. $10000 for The Slayer? No contest there.

Amish Marauder
09-08-2007, 01:19 PM
OMG there are too many good games coming to the PC...

Oh and GTA4 won't be out till 2nd quarter 2008.

The Settlers 6 and Crysis are the two I'm looking forward to most of all. Playing Bioshock right now and it's fantastic. I'll be picking up MOH: Airborne soon as well as the demo was ****. There are a butt load of games coming out by Christmas...too many for me to deal with really....oh and the new GuildWars too...too many new games and soooo little time to play..

Nza
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah the PC released ahead are insane - Crysis, HL2 EP2, Sup Comm expansion, as well as a lot of other smaller but equally as good looking releases not to mention just out titles like BioShock. Pretty good year for the PC really, and we haven't even moved over to DX10 fully yet.

Darthtanion
09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmm... Bioshock...

I'll be staying far away from that game (PC version, of course) until they release a version that does not contain a root kit.

casecutter
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I just foolishly made the jump to DX10 and hope I don't get too disappointed. As for games that do intrusive things to my PC, I use a separate OS install for gaming anyways so that I can keep it lean and mean.

Amish Marauder
09-11-2007, 02:55 AM
I just foolishly made the jump to DX10 and hope I don't get too disappointed.

What do you mean "foolishly"? You will be disappointed partly. There are no real DX10 titles to speak of but the good news is you are ready for the upcoming titles that do use DX10.

I can not wait to play a TRUE DX10 title. Most games out now that support DX10 only support some DX10 features.

I figure by the time DX10 is main st**** there will be way better DX10 cards on the market. I'm fine with that; one more reason to upgrade.

Aguiluz
09-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Have you heard about the Killer App? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_App)

Wikipedia:

In this sense, a killer app substantially increases sales of the hardware that supports it.

So, here's whats happening all along:

1. The console makers sign contracts to game designers

2. The designers create games for that console and that console only

3. The game reviews review the exclusive game, rating it highly, and then it becomes popular, blah blah blah... The list goes on.

4. Gamers owning the console, not wanting to be left out, rush to the stores to buy the game.

5. Gamers not owning the console, again not wanting to be left out, rush to the stores to buy the game AND the console, therefore boosting the console's sales.

6. Haha! The Console makers benefit at the end because they sold their consoles. End of Story.

Wikipedia:

The term has also been applied to computer and video games that cause consumers to buy a particular video game console or gaming hardware. Nintendo 64 saw much success with the releases of Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The Game Boy saw Tetris, and following Game Boy iterations saw the highly successful Pokémon series.

Nza
09-14-2007, 10:20 PM
There's a step 7 there though - the console makers, Sony and MS and Nintendo etc, don't want to sell their consoles for the sake of selling consoles, they want to sell consoles to sell more software, where they make their real money. We all heard about the stories of MS losing money per Xbox console sale, but they made that back and then some on the games.

So the killer apps sell consoles so in turn the new console owner can continue buying new games. If by the end of the console's life the owner has on average 20 games in his or her collection, then that's probably more than enough for a big "Mission complete" banner.

samtomjohn1
09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
im happy now as the following r due out on pc

halo 3 awesum
fifa 2008
juiced 2
need 4 speed pro street

oops almost 4got sims cast aways 4 z missus she luvs that sort of crap

if any1 can update with any mo titles due to cum out on pc let me know

Customgamer1
01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
To be honest do you think along with the contracts that they don't like releasing super hit games to the PC because of all the downloading?

Aguiluz
02-02-2008, 07:03 AM
To be honest do you think along with the contracts that they don't like releasing super hit games to the PC because of all the downloading?

Probably, but maybe not. You see, Game Consoles seem to have easier programmability than a PC. And since you know what hardware you're dealing with, you can code games fit for the console and use the hardware to the max, but with PCs you have to estimate since the hardware the consumer uses varies very, very widely.

However, Game Consoles can't play all hit games, and PCs - giving the right hardware - can pump graphics at a much higher def.

If only game makers make highly optimized games for weaker systems, I would stick to a PC.

Nza
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Probably, but maybe not. You see, Game Consoles seem to have easier programmability than a PC. And since you know what hardware you're dealing with, you can code games fit for the console and use the hardware to the max, but with PCs you have to estimate since the hardware the consumer uses varies very, very widely.

However, Game Consoles can't play all hit games, and PCs - giving the right hardware - can pump graphics at a much higher def.

If only game makers make highly optimized games for weaker systems, I would stick to a PC.

It's not as big a deal as it used to be. Via chipsets causing issues, three different sound card players, drivers for specific vendor chipsets (not just 3DFX drivers, but Voodoo 3 drivers, Voodoo 4 drivers etc). PC gaming *used* to be a mess.

Now days, we have one or two major chipset players, one or two major sound card players, two video card producers with unified drivers, and Direct X standards (particularly with 10) are getting tighter, meaning game developers can now, more than ever, just adhere to DirectX standards and expect Nvidia and ATi to as well.

All the while, we have a console built on unique processor architecture and it gets mainstream attention, so the PC really isn't that hard to make games for. Plus, with the 360 being Windows based, now days it is easier than ever (in theory) to port games to the PC.

Microsoft need to really hit their next OS out of the ball park. I want to see them bridge the gap between PC and Console gaming by making it almost seamless. Maybe not 'one disc for both' quite yet, but if they can make it almost economically silly *not* to port 360 games to the PC (as in, it's so easy and cost effective even NCAA Football PC would make a profit), then PC gaming could reach a new age. Perhaps a "port" age, but a new age nonetheless. The ball is in their court - are they really serious about PC gaming, or would they prefer domination by their console?