is my mobo dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my mobo dead?

hi all, as u can gather from reading my signature, i have an asusA7V266E mobo....yesterday i think i mite have bumped it pretty hard with a screwdriver...there is no sign of physical damage around that area or as a matter of fact, anywhere on the board. But the board seems to be stuffed.

When you turn it on, it powers up, my fans and HD etc all get power, even the LED on my mobo lights up....except there;s no POST...it just sits there with the HD and dvd etc spinning and doesn't do anything...and there's no display either...

basically my question is, is the mobo dead for sure? could it possibly be the cpu?...that seems unlikely cos it should be giving error beeps if there was cpu probs...but it just silently sits there not doing anything...no beeps or anything...

on the plus side i guess it gives me an excuse to get an EPoX 8K3A....
    any comments?

btw i have tried rebuilding the system, clearing cmos etc

OK - this is my favourite area :)

Usually when there are no error beep codes, it is either a CPU or critical motherboard failure. When I dropped a screwdriver on a surface mounted resistor (killing my AOpen AX6BC in the process - I miss you old friend :cry: ) there were no error codes - just silence. Then I tested my CPU in another board and it worked fine. It was only after my mother (who's badly short-sighted - takes her glasses off and looks at things up close in amazing detail) :thumb: that the shattered resistor was found between the north bridge and the CPU slot :eek:

Firstly, some IDE devices when they malfunction short out the mobo - try unplugging all signal cables (IDE, Floppy) from the motherboard and see if it boots. If not, then my advice is to try your CPU in another board to rule that out - if it works then Mr. A7V266E needs a trip to R.A. Land. The LED on the board indicates that it is receiving power O.K., so try the CPU in another system and let us know the result :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

yea i have tried unplugging IDE and floppies...doesn't work...yea i'm gonna try the cpu in my frends system in a few days..

btw it's possible that's it actually the cpu...i accidentally got a bit of superglue on one corner pin of the cpu...and bits of still remain on that pin that i can't scrape off....perhaps that pin isn't conducting properly?if this is the case what would the cpu/mobo do?alsp the cpu definantely gets power bcos it gets warm...but my cpu had been running while with the superglue so seems doubtful :)

one more question...if i try to get warranty on the mobo...i've got mounts for my mcx superglued into it....does that void warranty?

hmmm well i guess if the mobo is dead an epox 8k3a for $210 isn't so bad:afro:

let's hope it's not the cpu and mobo cos that;s real bad news
      btw i looked really hard and i couldn't find any damaged components:afro:
      thx for the help!
      PS: is is dangerous to carry a cpu in plastic wrap or envelope?cos i can't find any anti-static bags around....

Comment

Well, there are 462 pins on an Athlon XP, and some conduct different things to others - so power will most likely still be reaching the CPU ;)

Supergluing something to the mobo is definately bad karma for warranty returns (R.A.), good luck getting it replaced :(

You have a very high risk of damaging the CPU by carrying it around without proper protection - that means an anti-static bag and something to stop the pins getting bent and/or snapped in transit.

Good luck. :)

Comment

yea ok thx...yea well to tell u the truth i'm not even gonna try for warranty....the chances of getting it for my mobo or cpu are slim

or i need to do is find out which one is the problem and replace it...or fix it if possible....if it's the superglue on my cpu leg then perhaps i can get rid of it with something that will dissolvs superglue? does paint thinner?:D

and albinus thx again for all your help....no one else seems to have any suggestions....tomorow or monday i'll be able to find out if the cpu is working or not....and yea looks like i'll have to have a big search for that anti-static bag:cheers:

Comment

Just make sure the pins don't get bent in transit, OEM CPUs from Compuworld (where I buy most of my equipment from) come in the blue trays that protect the pins from being bent in transit. See if anyone has one of these floating around, and fasten it in with 2 rubber bands.

Careful with paint thinner - it may not harm the CPU pins but may destroy the plastic packaging on the Athlon XP :eek: - try rubbing alcohol instead.

Once again - good luck :wave:

Comment

kool well i'll try giving rubbing alcahol a shot...and yea my frend has one of those blue trays sitting around:afro:

and thx again....i'll update you on what happens:cheers:

Comment

ah well turns our the cpu is dead after all...even after i got off the superglue

l'm gonna order an xp1800 rite now...

thx for all the help albinus:cheers:

Comment

Osiris from these forums had an accident with his 1GHz Thunderbird, his machine fell off a chair and the heatsink moved enough to crack the core :eek:

This may have been what happened :(

Comment

lol just an update....my mobo is actually fine, my cpu is dead bcos od my own carelessness.... got superglue on one of the pins somehow when i was unlocking it ...and after wards when i pulled it of the mobo socket it somehow damaged it...now i;ve orderd a new AGOIA stepping 1800xp....should be getting it tomorw...i should be having plenty of fun overclocking it to insane speeds with my mcx 462...even xp1600 AGOIAs usually get to about 1.9ghz without voltage modding :afro:

thx again for all the support and wish me luck:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Should be good my friend :thumb:

Funny... this thread seems to have turned into the "Albinus & chisholm show" :laugh:

Yes - good luck once again :wave:

Comment

haha yea well looks like you were the onli one willing to help me:D
                        my cpu is arriving in a bout half an hr...*twiddling thumbs*...it had better work or else

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by chisholm
                          lol just an update....my mobo is actually fine, my cpu is dead bcos od my own carelessness.... got superglue on one of the pins somehow when i was unlocking it ...and after wards when i pulled it of the mobo socket it somehow damaged it...now i;ve orderd a new AGOIA stepping 1800xp....should be getting it tomorw...i should be having plenty of fun overclocking it to insane speeds with my mcx 462...even xp1600 AGOIAs usually get to about 1.9ghz without voltage modding :afro:

thx again for all the support and wish me luck:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                          1.9ghz ey.....you'd need a REALLY high FSB for that, you might find that your mobo, or your internal modem could hold you back. Unless of course, your going to try to unlock it again...but good luck anyway :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by chisholm
                            even xp1600 AGOIAs usually get to about 1.9ghz without voltage modding :afro:
                            oooo goody, i got an xp1700+ AGOIA stepping :D and i haven't tried ocing it yet either, but like in the "post your temps" thread, i need to get a new hsf
                            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Hey I got my Volcano 7+ yesterday arvo. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X