Question regarding computer possibly being hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding computer possibly being hacked

I think someone is trying to connect to my computer...
    I use zonealarm, and I got this message today:

"Do you want to accept connections from the internet?

Technical Information:
    Source IP: 66.75.160.42: DNS"

It said the source was asking for server rights. Shortly after I received a similar warning from my firewall, saying this same IP was trying to connect via ICMP or something similar.

Is someone trying to hack my computer? What can I do? I'm behind a router firewall, and a software firewall in zonealarm. I thought the router's firewall made me "invisible" to port scanning. My friend told me there's a "buffer overflow exploit" that makes WinXP vulnerable to malicious code, which makes me worried about hackers. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would appreciate any help.

Also, on a side note... if you have any suggested reading (online) about ICMP, and how people do this, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to be a little more informed on the subject.

Thanks.

the only things that ask for server rights are programs running on your pc, not other people trying to connect to you, so that message is a little confusing.

but if you click no then it blocks it and you have nothin to worry about.

and ICMP is just a ping or traceroute. trying to see if anyone is there, if yer firewall blocked it then they got no reply from it so it would appear as if no computer was at your address.

depending on your ISP all that is just normal background traffic. some ISPs in Melbourne will get 30 scans per day.

Comment

Yohhan, I notice from your IP address that you are from Southern California, connected via RoadRunner cable. The IP address that was pinging you was from a RoadRunner address in California, so I would assume that this is perfectly normal for cable - in Australia as Birdkiller said, some ISP's ping their customers up to 100 times per hour *cough* BigPond *cough*
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
        X