P35C-DS3R Memory Voltages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35C-DS3R Memory Voltages?

There seems to be alot of confusion regarding memory voltage reporting on this board. Most people believe the default is 1.8v with adjustments in BIOS up to 2.2v. Others believe the default is higher than 1.8v.

I currently have my memory set to +.3v. which I believe to be 2.1v total. However apps are reporting different voltages.

Easytune - 2.1v
    Everest - 2.24v
    Speedfan - 2.24v

When I lower my volts to +.1v (1.9). Everest and Speedfan display 2.26V. They actually go up It's very wierd.

Does anybody know what's really correct? I really would like to get an official answer from GIGABYTE. What do you guys say?

Re: P35C-DS3R Memory Voltages?

janus---

Can you help me out here? what do you think?

Comment

Yes I already SENT Information to our BIOS team, while I get answer. I will let you know ASAP.

Comment

Just get answer

This issue is caused by Everest.
        It looks Everest violates some ITE8718 settings and causes the sensing of all voltages frozen.This violation causes you have to do power-off cycles to recover the sensor.

Comment

janus,

I do not believe the voltage sensors get frozen after using Everest. Even if you power cycle the computer they still read the same 2.24v. Even if you run the programs in different order like this:

Speedfan - 2.24v
          Easytune - 2.1v
          Everest - 2.24v

Are speedfan & everest just reading the voltage incorrectly? What program does Gigabyte recommend to read the voltages correctly?

Also, I have another question....

My DDR voltage test in PC health always says "FAIL" no matter what voltage I have set it to (1.8 -2.2). What does that mean? I am OC'd to 3.6.

thank you

my setup

E6750 @ 3.6 1.45v (L722A495) | Gigabyte P35C DS3R -F4g Bios | (G)MCH +.1v
          2 X 1GB Crucial Ballistixs DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v (1:1)
          EVGA 8800 GTS 640 (690/1090) | Corsair HX 520 | Tuniq Tower 120
          WD Caviar 320 | WD 120 | Sony Optiarc DVD | Antec 900 | XP Pro

Comment

Hi.
            I am also confused about the vdimm setting in the bios. I'm using the original F2 bios. I have set vdimm to +0.1 and performance to "turbo".
            Everest V4.10.1134 Beta reads a vdimm of 2.00 V. My system in not OC, i have an E6850 and 4 GB OCZ 6400 Platinum Rev.2 (4-4-4-15).
            Edit : Even setting all to "standard" (SPD and no vdimm changing) in bios doesn't change anything, everest still reads 2.00V.
            Last edited by Jackrip5; 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Janus,

I did some memory voltage testing with my rig. I tested stock and a couple OC situations. From my below data, the default memory voltage is 2.0v and not 1.8v as gigabyte states. Can you confirm this? Also, the data reveils what looks like poor voltage memory regulation. All the tests were done with Everest & Speefan.

Since it looks like the P35C board is overvolting ram I would be concerned people are blowing up their ram which is causing the "cycle reboot" problem. I didn't even want to test the +.4v option because I would damage my ram.

Can you comment on any of this? What is Gigabyte's position?

thanks

-----2.66--2.66--3.20--3.20 ---------> cpu speed
              -----1.35--1.45--1.35--1.45 ---------> CPU voltage
              ----------------------------------
              +.0--2.00--2.00--2.00--2.00
              +.1--2.00--2.00--2.00--2.00 ----------->Ram Voltages
              +.2--2.13--2.13--2.13--2.13
              +.3--2.24--2.26--2.24--2.24
              Last edited by mrfatboy; 09-22-2007, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Very interesting reading.

My PC9200 VDIMM is 2.27 with Everest when I put it to 1.9 in the BIOS. I am leaving it at 1.9 rather than using the BIOS to up it to 2.2v which is the stock rating.

Speedfan reports it at 2.26v. So its not related solely to Everest.

No overclocking yet as i'm waiting for a new cooler install, using x64 vista.

Ive used everest since the install/build and do not have any power cycle problems so I dont think you can blame everest for the problem janus.
                Last edited by chris57; 09-22-2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

well janus what is the Answer - I am currently running +0.3 and dont want to be frying my memory!!!!!

Comment

please wait^^

i already took to our rd people.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                      please wait^^

i already took to our rd people.
                      I'm sure you get loads of grief but i'm also sure that I speak for most in saying that we appreciate what you do

Thanks and I look forward to a solution.

Comment

Thank you chris57,if I get the answer i will let you know ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                          Thank you chris57,if I get the answer i will let you know ASAP.
                          Nothing yet 14 days later.

Running my memory at +0.1 now gives me 2.02vdimm not 1.9 as it should. Running +0.2 gives 2.27vdimm when it should be 2.0v. Bit awkward when your RAM is rated at 2.1v.

No BIOS updates or betas either are Gigabyte losing interest in this board as the gimmick of it being the 'latest' has gone to the P38 boards.

Comment

Sorry chris57

I am still in waiting too.

Comment

Janus sent me this email with Gigabyte's response to the memory voltage issue. I wanted to keep everybody in the loop. It still doesn't seem correct to me. I have responded with more questions below.

The problem is Everest will freeze ITE8718 H/W monitor.
                              That means you will never see DDR voltage turns to other value once you run Everest.
                              For example, before you raise DDR voltage, the healthy status is 1.9V or 1.8V.
                              And then you raise DDR voltage to 2.1V and also see it changes in healthy status.
                              After that, you run Everest in WinXP and go back to BIOS setup to change the setting to 1.9V or 1.8V.
                              You will see the healthy status will always show 2.24V(or 2.1V) even the actual voltage is 1.9V.

The problem you shown is just about precision in H/W monitor.

Janus,

Thank you for following up on this problem. The answer your RD gave today is the same answer they gave one month ago. However I still believe the problem has not be solved or fully answered. Please have your RD dept address the following issues directly.

1) Is your RD dept saying Everest is the problem? The problem occurs with other memory voltage reading software. Speedfan and PC Wizard have the exact same memory voltage readings. Why does every software memory reading program have the same readings?

2) People have measured the same memory voltages directly from the board. This can not be a software issue. Please have your RD dept measure directly from the board.

Please look at this link.
                              http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152696&highlight=p35c

3) As to your following statement:

“After that, you run Everest in WinXP and go back to BIOS setup to change the setting to 1.9V or 1.8V.
                              You will see the healthy status will always show 2.24V(or 2.1V) even the actual voltage is 1.9V.”

3a) There are no voltage readings in PC HEALTH. Just “pass” and ‘fail”. What bios are they using? Am I missing something?

3b) To get to the BIOS-> PC Health, you need to reboot the computer. Wouldn’t this clear the freeze up of the ITE8718 H/W monitor allowing it to display the correct settings thus negating your RD dept answer?

4) You can’t ignore the fact that using the “adjusted” settings that I have read from the board has eliminated some of the problems people are having with their memory.

Thank you
                              Last edited by mrfatboy; 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X