Win 98 Product Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 98 Product Key

Got an Acer Aspire from a relative & thought I'd fix it up for may son. It's Model 7111, problem id that I didn't get the ID for when I'm reloading windows. Called Acer and they suggested, short of buying a new O.S. to get a number from someone else. All the numbers I've tried don't work including 1,2,3,4, etc; 0000etc; 11111etc; 0101010etc.

Acer said they put a sticker on the Win98 manual with the key and have since decided that was a bad idea and are now putting it on the machine.

Can anyone help, anyone out there with a similar Acer?

Ya better go and see that relative again and hope they still have it or you'll have to go and buy another os disk. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by davidmyers6
      Acer said they put a sticker on the Win98 manual with the key and have since decided that was a bad idea and are now putting it on the machine.
      HAHA Acer likes to believe its their idea of putting the stickers on the machines, its actually microsoft who forced all OEMs to put the stickers on the machines.

as for the key, if they didnt supply the disc and key with the computer than legally yer sposed to buy yer own copy.

Comment

Just thought I'd stick my head in here and say please don't provide illegal keys in the forum guys - it can get the site into a lot of trouble :(

And yes, it is Microsoft's idea to put the CD Key on the case, this is designed to tie the Windows licence to a particular box
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

but a heat gun and a razor blade gets the sticker off pretty easily :D

Comment

Provided you haven't formatted the HDD the product key is located in the registry.
            Of course I assume you have the CD that was used to install the OS currently on the laptop:?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
            Value Name = Product Key
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
              Of course I assume you have the CD that was used to install the OS currently on the laptop:?:

Charles, did you know that Microsoft only makes one version of a product? For example, Office XP Professional Retail, Office XP Professional Upgrade, Office XP Professional O.E.M. and Office XP Corporate are the same CD!!! It's the product key (and the silkscreened writing on the CD) that make the difference; for instance if you have an upgrade CD and use a full version serial, you don't have to validate the upgrade. :)

Comment

Is that still applicable? I know it happened with older versions of Office and Windows.. but is it the same with the new?

Comment

Well I've seen it done with Windows XP, so it must still be current :)

Comment

Right Albinus!
                    But doesn't the Product Key need to match the key contained on the individual CD you are installing from?

In other words, if the Key which resides in davidmyer6's registry doesn't match the one on the CD will it not prevent the installation?

So if he's not got the same CD, the info in the Registry will be useless.

Or I could be wrong:confused:

Evidently I am again:laugh:

So any valid product key works as long as it is the same flavor of Windows?

Then the one contained in the registry has to be good info!
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The CDs are mass produced, so an individual serial number or key on each disk wouldn't be an issue. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare trying to individually serialize each and every Windows disk made? YIKES!
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Well, thanks for your responses so far. To make certain all know this is a legal copy of Win98 which is also one of the reasons I wanted the computer. I have other legal copies of Win98 but am trying NOT to use a single machine license on more than one machine.

The mass produced theory sounds logical so I probably haven't found a product key yet for this same vintage program.

The relatives may still have the manual but are moving from Florida to Michigan and their stuff won't be unloaded for a couple of months.

Comment

There used to be an OLD Win98 FAQ on the net which had a method for bypassing the authentication scheme in pidgen.dll [which is the file that authenticated Serial numbers in Win95/98]. That might help if you can find it..

Comment

I believe you can bypass the key by rebooting in safe mode once it comes up with the prompt for it. Changing a couple of registry keys and rebooting will stop the cd key/license agreement from appearing. But of course that would be illegal wouldn't it......

Comment

hmm, interesting stuff, but i still don't understand....ID?!? product key you mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X