Shrink wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrink wrap

Is anyone familiar with shrink wrap? How to apply it?

Huh?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Its a plastic wrap that comes really thick and you put all your cables into it and then you take a lighter and melt it and gets really thin and taking all your cables and making them better for air...

uh oh I just relized that I just told you how to intall shirnk wrap. I want to know more. I think they sell shrink wrap at radio shack I'm gonna stop by there one day maybe they'll come with instructions. I need somethign to get all those damn power cables out of my way and make it better for air flow. I have 12 fans in my case and my computer runs soooo damn hot!!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like you got it ReSpAwN DeMoN.
        I'm not familiar with a wrap but I've been using shrink tubing with much success __ in fact I just got around to finishing off all the leads off the PSU this afternoon.

Only drawback I have found is it does make a nice tight bundle and is therefor rather stiff. So if your using some fancy twists and turns in your wire routing it you may want to cansider another method.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Is shrink tubing expensive? I heard that it costs about 2-3 dollars at radio shack. Also how do you know when to take the flame off the wrap? I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to putting a flame to my computer, but its much better then flex tubing that that stuff is thick and more expensive right? Would you be able to take a picture of the inside of your computer so that I can use it as a visual reference?

Comment

Can't say i've heard of the shirnk wrap, but anyways, all you really need for the tubing is just run your lighter back and forth down the length of the tubing until you think it's tight enough. Don't hold it in one place for long as there is a chance of melting something else, or catching on fire.. but if you simply run back and forth it will be fine...

Comment

I'm quite at a loss for a picture - as demonstrated by the pathetic attempt of the Logitech Quick Cam Express.
              My SuperCheesy digital camera is as usual low on battery power ATM. Though the quality isn't a great deal better for showing details.

Unless your RadioShack is superior to the merchandise offered where I live, I highly reccomend you find your local electrical supply house. You know, the place where the contractors and business go. The one I go to here is far and away better than RS when it comes to parts and stuff.
              I get 3' lengths of shrink tube in sizes ranging from 1/8" to 3/4" in a variety of basic colors for a lot less than the little packages cost at Radio Shack. 3 feet of 1/4" for those Molex connector wires costs me $1.80 -- the 1/2" for larger wire groups sets me back $2.30.
              These type of places usually aren't chain stores or heavily advertised (if at all), but poke around, if you live in a reasonable sized community there is probably something there. The one here has cases, LED's, cables, connectors, drives, fanguards and fans, etc. etc. etc. for way cheaper than a computer store or major electronics chain. They don't sell whole systems, but they have everything neccesary to keep one running. Parts is their bread n' butter:thumb: It's a little hole in the wall kinda' place but you can wander those 7 aisles for a long time. *drool*
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

There is also the option of "Coldshrink", I think it's made by 3M and it's very expensive, and needs no heat to apply :)
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                  There is also the option of "Coldshrink", I think it's made by 3M and it's very expensive, and needs no heat to apply :)
                  no heat? how does it shrink....

Comment

OMG that pic is amazing that will really cool down my computer right? Can you get me another picture of what it looks like around the ATX power cable?

Comment

I use shrink tubing alot at work.. the only heat that is needed is from a device similar to a electric hair dryer.. not sure what its actually called.. Ive always called it a heat gun.. anyways the hardest part about using it is getting it onto the wires themselves.. after that it easily shrinks down to size with very little heat

Comment

Now a hair dryer I will feel much better about compared to a lighter or any other similar device. I will know when its shrunken down to a certain size and that's good enough that would be common sense?

Comment

I have a small portable tourch.....

Just kidding.

I work in the Telecom business and we use these ALOT as they are great for cable management! Yes, you really want to use the heat gun ($25us and up) or a hair dryer. I have more than once burned the coating off the wires with a lighter, but what else do you use when you are in a dark cramped telephone closet?

The one drawlback is the stuff is pretty permenet (sp) so it's really a one shot deal. Practice a little before you go nuts inisde your case.

Hit your local electronics shop for the stuff as the "shack" is overpriced, BIT TIME.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

I used all kinds of heat shrink ...I always use a hair dryer with no problems yet

Comment

you will see it begin to shrink as soon as you apply the heat.. it only takes a few seconds of heat from the heat gun or hairdryer depending on the size of the heat shrink.. the better heat guns have small adapters that concentrate the heat right on the heat shrink.. the heat shrink will very quickly conform itself to your wire and stop shrinking..
                              it can be somewhat difficult to remove later, however it can be done by very carefully cutting it off starting at one end and slicing down the length with an exacto knife or other sharp instrument..
                              however its very easy to accidently slice through any small wires contained within the shrink..

Comment

Working...
                              X