No announcement yet.

P35-DS3L Endless rebooting on powerup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3L Endless rebooting on powerup.

Copied from my post on TomsHardware.

"Hey, I've had quite a frustrating few days. Over a week ago I put together a new system. (Components listed below) Worked wonderfully for 5 days or so, until I get home from work Wednesday and when I powered it on it would start to boot up for 2-3 seconds and then shut down, another 2-3 seconds later it'd power itself back on again, shut down.. you get the idea.

Anyways, I did some research and asked questions on the net and was told it was probably a PSU or mobo problem. Luckily, I had a new PSU coming the next day, that did not fix the problem. So I talked to Newegg and had them overnight me a new motherboard for a replacement. Got that on Friday, and still the same problem.

I have a friend with very similar components, so we swapped parts back and forth trying to find out what was faulty. Nothing of his would work on my board, including the CPU and fan, PSU, Videocard, and RAM. However, my videocard and CPU worked in his system. Leading me to believe that they are OK. We found that one of my two ram sticks would cause his system to show the reboot symptoms, but the other one worked fine.

So it looks like I'm sitting on two bad motherboards and 1 bad RAM stick. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is it possible this RAM went bad a some point and then fried both boards I tried it in (yet left my buddy's board intact?)

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Core 2 Duo 6750
    CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    SAPPHIRE X1950PRO"

I've done a little more research and found that the RAM I have is listed at 1.9v while I guess the default for these boards is 1.8v. Could this be my problem? And if so, how come I was able to run great for almost a week on my first mobo before experiencing this problem and then not being able to run at all with my 2nd replacement (even with the known good stick of RAM).

Thanks!

Re: P35-DS3L Endless rebooting on powerup.

I had the same problem i took apart my comp cleaned it then nothing worked it kept rebooting like you said. I replaced all the parts i found out that the ram went bad took out my cpu then the cpu fried the mobo but it didnt take out my cards. Go buy a mobo from a local store use it if it still doesnt work then return it but its probably the ram. My ram stick would work out of no where some times but they would take stuff out with them.

Amd fx-62
    ocz 700 watt gamer extream
    Thermaltake power express 250 watt
    2 gigds of corsair had 4 but two fried
    2 8800 GTXS
    thermal,take case my cards barely even fit i had to modify the case a little

Comment

Dear barab

did you use 4 ram?

Comment

Janus,
        thanks for replying, I only was using two sticks of RAM in dual channel, (the first and third spots) I did try every combination of moving the ram into different slots either alone or in pairs.

Comment

did you overclocking?

Comment

No overclocking.

Comment

sorry

what is your bios?
              did you try clear CMOS?

Comment

Try clearing the CMOS jumper while the PC is on. For example, put the shunt over the jumper while in the BIOS screen. I know many will whine and moan about how this is dangerous, but it has solved many-a-seemingly-unfixable-problem... Let me know.

Comment

I have a very similar problem!

I have: p35-ds3L, intel dualcore 2160, antec basiq 500w PSU, radeon 2900 pro, 2 gb dual channel ram (forgot which brand, probably generic), and 2 hdds, and a few fans running.

The system is stable when it starts.

The problem is that when its been off for a few hours it won't start again easily. It seems random- it will try to boot over and over again, and eventually it will start. When it tries and fails, it doesn't make it to POST. Just spins fans and spins up the hdd for 5 secs, then shuts itself off.

I'm using the system now. It runs fine. I've overclocked and then reset the CPU numerous times trying to sort this out. Removed all the components, found the MB is the source of this problem (it will turn itself on/off with only CPU in; then w/ CPU and 1 stick of ram- judged by the CPU fan's spinning and the PSU's fan). Would a new BIOS really resolve this? I'm doubtful.

For now, until I can get this MB replaced, I'm just arranging to have the system on all the time.

Comment

PS memtest ran all night with no errors

Comment

Mine ga-p35-dsr3 2.0 does this too. It will sometimes start up for a second, shut off, then start up again and boot..

Then sometimes it won't shut off immediately after power on but it will shutoff after 1 min after windows is loaded, hardboot, and then turn back on and everything is fine.

I think its time to get rid of this board before it breaks my equipment with these hardboots

F9 bios
                      Q6600
                      4 gb crucial ram
                      8800gtx
                      everything watercooled (CPU/NB/GPU)

6hrs prime stable

Comment

It will sometimes start up for a second, shut off, then start up again and boot..

Did you do overclocking?

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. I get the normal (according to the manual) beeps, the system boots, I get the flash screen for 5 seconds or so, then boom, hard restart. It doesn't matter if I boot from CD or a hard drive, the same thing happens. I'm using a Pentium D 950. I'm not overclocking. I should be getting some new RAM today, I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

All of the hardware is recognized in the BIOS F7.
                          GA-P35-DS3L rev 2
                          2x 1 GB generic RAM - worked before
                          eVga GeForce 7600 GT
                          600 watt PSU
                          Last edited by babgolis; 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM. Reason: I forgot something

Comment

Dear babgolis

1.what is your beep sound like?( long?short?quick?slow?)and how many times the beep shows?

2. did yu run overclocking?

Comment

It makes a short beep on launch. No beep on reboot.

No overclocking. I tried turning off the hardware fan monitor to see if that helped. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X