X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35C-DS3R and Corsair TwinX DDR2

Just got the following setup

Q6600 GO
    GA-P35C-DS3R REV 2.0 - now running bios F6.
    2 sets of 2x1gig Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500 (1066) - so 4 gig in total

Problem is the board wont accept all 4 gig, keeps having OS installation issues with all 4 modules installed and blue screens. If I just run 2 gig in dual channel mode its fine, runs like a dream.

Is this a configuration issue or do I have a hardware fault? Hard to tell with this board as it seems to have so many problems

Re: GA-P35C-DS3R and Corsair TwinX DDR2

Same setup and problems.

So I installed the OS and updates and updated device drivers with just one stick of memory in at the "optimized" bios settings. I wanted to be extra cautious.

When I got the comp fairly well set up with 1gb of RAM, I tested all 4 sticks one at a time with memtest (simple to use free utility) to confirm they were ok.

Then I installed all 4 sticks and lowered the memory multiplier in bios (control + F1 makes them available) so that the memory was running at 800mhz instead of 1066mhz. Problem solved. I confirmed stability by running super pi (another free utility), which had previously given me oodles of errors before I lowered the memory speed.

I also tightened the timings to 4-4-4-12 for that lower speed. I had read somewhere that the memory controller may have a hard time keeping up with 4gb's of DDR2 running at 1066mhz.

I think I could probably increase the multiplier a bit ot squeeze a little more speed out of the memory, but stability and 800mhz is ok for me for now, and I need a breather from the whole new computer setup ordeal.

Good luck.

Comment

need newer BIOS TO TRY?

[email protected]

Comment

Well I think my problem was faulty memory.

I put 2 matched pair sticks into the first and 4th slot(dual channel mode) and it works perfectly. I then swap these to the other 2 sets and I get problems.

So I have RMA'd the RAM and will wait and see.

If the board wont work at 1066mhz with 4gig of RAM as claimed then its not fit for sale and I will be returning it.

Janus Yeh what is the latest BIOS revision?

Comment

F9d

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
            F9d
            They only have up to F7 on the website:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Mot...ProductID=2551

The only way to get current bios is through an employee helping us in his spare time on a third party forum?

Comment

Well I think you don't feel this is a good idea.
              Here is GBT area, We maintain this area with TwakTown for give users help. so I try to give you the newer bios I got from our RD. We will update the newer normal BIOS in the feature after final test. So forget F9d.sorry for made you trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                Well I think you don't feel this is a good idea.
                Here is GBT area, We maintain this area with TwakTown for give users help. so I try to give you the newer bios I got from our RD. We will update the newer normal BIOS in the feature after final test. So forget F9d.sorry for made you trouble.
                I understand you try to help with beta bios, and I do appreciate your being here.

Comment

Well the new memory made no difference. This board just doesnt work with 4 gig of this memory. Either that or I have a borked slot or something......going to go and swap them around...AGAIN!

Starting to wish I had not bought Gigabyte now :(

Comment

well, I took acgordon's advice and "downgraded" the memory speed to 800mhz and its working.

What a piece of crap this board is, false advertising if it cant handle 1066 speed!!

Im going to keep upping it, see what it will run.

Comment

Originally posted by chronicbint View Post
                      Well the new memory made no difference. This board just doesnt work with 4 gig of this memory. Either that or I have a borked slot or something......going to go and swap them around...AGAIN!

Starting to wish I had not bought Gigabyte now :(
                      To be fair to Gigabyte, it might be a P35 limitation, I've read forums for other manufacturers where people have trouble with 4 sticks.

I have 4 sticks of Crucial 1066 and the only way I could get 'em to work was to underclock to 1000. Tested both pairs in both sets of slots -- they work fine as pairs, but not with all 4 in at once.

Turns out I can off-set the underclock by turning down the timing to 4-4-4-12.

[edit]
                      Possibly got them working at 1066, but over-volted. If a couple of hours of orthos don't make it flake out, I'll post how I got 'em working.
                      [edit2]
                      No dice, although it ran for an hour before failing instead of failing immediately by setting the voltage to 2.4 instead of 2.128. It would be nice to set my 2.2v ram to 2.2v or maybe even 2.3v, but I only have these choices:

Normal: 1.872
                      +0.1: 1.872
                      +0.2: 2.128
                      +0.3: 2.128
                      +0.4: 2.4
                      +0.5: 2.4

I really hope they fix the voltage table in the next version of the bios.
                      Last edited by blargh23; 11-22-2007, 07:05 AM.

Comment

w00t.

new F8 bios for P35C-DS3R:

Normal : 2.4
                        +0.1 : 2.0
                        +0.2 : 2.128
                        +0.3 : 2.256
                        +0.4 : 2.4
                        +0.5 : 2.528

Not quite precise, but actually gives me a range to play with.

[edit]
                        Still can't run 4 sticks at 1066.
                        Last edited by blargh23; 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I cant get my 4 sticks at 1066 either,. Corsair dominator 8500, it runs beautiful at 1050+- , is there a newer bios that has memory fixes in it? ram tests out fine at lower speed, but is nothing but errors and crashes at 1066, even with voltage bumped,, kinda aggrivating

Comment

I GUESS 4 sticks at 1066 also need to setup timeing?

Comment

I set it at the manufacturers recommended timing and let the system auto detect by spd, plus loosening it up a little, nothing seems to work. but I can run it a few mhz below 1066 and everything is stable, even with cpu overclocked 1ghz higher. also tried bumping the voltage a little, but i am not going any more than the max recomended of 2.4. This board has the Corsair dominator 8500 ram listed in its compatiblity guide, so I dont know why it has such an issue, and the ram is fine, I have a Asus board that runs it quite nicely at 1066 with no errors on memtest, and stock 2.1 voltage, also goes all the way up to 1200 with stock voltage with no errors, but then again its not a p35 board. What are the changes in this new bios you have janus, I would be willing to try it if it would let me run my ram at stock speeds at least. With so many people having this issues with this board and this ram speed, I would think this is being worked on, because the board is not unstable, it runs fine at anything but the ram being clocked at 1066 or higher..

Comment

Working...
                              X