P35-DS3R Post problems (try this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3R Post problems (try this)

Newly purchased and built Q6600, OCZ Vendetta cooler, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 2 gb G-Skill (5), Corsair VX550w PS, and EVGA 7600GT, using IDE DVD while waiting for SATA DVD.

At first, it posted. Tired, I left further set-up till morning. Installed IDE DVD and the e-SATA panel. Tried to post and 3 second on/off issue appeared. Disconnected the IDE, no change. Removed battery, no change.

Recalled the Newegg review below about unplugging machine and waiting. IT WORKED!

"Cons: Here's what you do about the boot problem. When it starts turning on and off, cut the power switch and pull the plug for about 10 min. It will come back on at stock settings. Not sure why it does it but here's the cure!"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813128050

Don't ask me what's happening, but whatever it is Gigabyte owes its customers an answer. Either way, something is wrong. I'm RMAing and moving to ASUS or the new ABIT in the same price/class.

Re: P35-DS3R Post problems (try this)

Brief follow-up.

Had the machine working following the disconnect procedure referenced above. Began installing windows, up to downloading SP 2. Called it a night. Got up this morning, started up to a single beep to post followed by a series of long beeps (not quite the same sound as the post beep).

I assume this is the graphics card improperly seated warning, but reseating didn't help and it worked fine last night. I've read elsewhere that this warning is common/characteristic to others having problems with the board.

Oh well, anyone have suggestions for an Abit or Asus? I'm considering the abit IP35 Pro Rev. 1.1 but others have recommended the Asus P5K-E. Opinions? I'm no expert. Just trying to get a working machine without spending weeks in RMA, or cleaning off themal paste while having to rebuild.

Comment

I just built a new machine and used the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 and so far this has been a great machine. It's my first Gigabyte build. In the past I have used Asus, with my last board being a P5W-DH Deluxe that died after 1 year of use.

You may want to look at the following link from Newegg.com. There is a review there that talks about memory installed on your board and how to fix the problem. Hope it helps. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0&Tpk=P35-DS3R Here's the jist of it.

here is the quote: We have several GigaByte motherboards with Core 2 Duo and Quad. Some seem to work for a day or 2, but many were rebooting every couple of second. When I moved the DDR2 memory modules from slot 0 and 2 to slot 1 and 3, the systems work flawlessly. Maybe it has to do with memory compatibility, or maybe DDR2 timing, but I've done this 3 or 4 times on a couple of GigaByte MB and it seems to do the trick for me.

Tim
      Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
      GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 BIOS f12b
      2 Gigs Corsair 8500 @1066
      EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Comment

my motherboard is OC to 3.6. It runs 24/7. the only problem is if I have to reboot after installed new software or something it doesn't like coming back at 3.6 and goes into a "cycle-reboot". I then turn if off or 5 minutes. reboot at stock, immediately go into bios and change to 3.6 and I'm fine.

very weird.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfatboy View Post
          my motherboard is OC to 3.6. It runs 24/7. the only problem is if I have to reboot after installed new software or something it doesn't like coming back at 3.6 and goes into a "cycle-reboot". I then turn if off or 5 minutes. reboot at stock, immediately go into bios and change to 3.6 and I'm fine.

very weird.
          Hey fatboy,

It seems we have very similar hardware - I also have an E6750 and Crucial Ballistix. I am wondering how you got your 1:1 ratio? Mine shows up as 5:6. Did you change the RAM multiplier from 2 to 2.4 or some other value? I'd greatly appreciate any input - thanks.

P.S. - I don't mean to hijack this thread. :)

Comment

i sent you a PM. Check out this thread. It has great info

Comment

Working...
            X