which temps are correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which temps are correct?

Glad there's a support forum for the gigabyte boards--took me a while to find it--is there any mention of it on the Gigabyte site? If not, it would help to have a link from there to here in the customer support section.
    Anyway, I'd just switched from an Asus P5K Deluxe board to the GA X38 DQ6 about 2 weeks ago and I'm happy with the performance and stability so far. I've been playing around with EasyTune 5 and it's core temp readings seem a bit low compared with those from the Sisoft Sandra and RightMark utilities. For example, right now it's telling me the avg core temp on my QX6600 (B3) is 31c, Sisoft is at 35c and RightMark reads 48c. That's quite a variation--which utility is more accurate?
    BTW, I'm cooling the quad with a Zalman 9700 which I modded to allow me to keep the crazycool underside heatsinks on the board.
    Thanks for any input on this.
    Vin

Re: which temps are correct?

I wouldn't trust easytune with my gramma's falsies, let alone my computer.

Depending on your processor and the software you're using, your core temps may be 15c off. At some point Intel switched from a 85c to a 100c Max Tj.

I use speedfan and added the 15c, as it didn't make sense that my core temps were lower than the T2 temp. Right now (after hours of Orthos), my temps are:

T1: 38c
    T2: 52c
    Core1: 58c
    Core2: 58c
    Last edited by blargh23; 11-19-2007, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Hey Blargh, thanks for the quick reply. So I should use speedfan and add 15c to get a fairly accurate reading? Here are the speedfan readings right now:
      T1: 33c
      T2: 32c
      Core1: 31c
      Core2: 30c
      Core3: 30c
      Core4: 30c
      Rightmark is reading an avg of 45c, so I would assume it is fairly accurate. I do like how much info speedfan gives me, especially with the video card and hdd temps. Should I be adding 15c to those readings too?

Comment

Originally posted by Rayvin52 View Post
        Hey Blargh, thanks for the quick reply. So I should use speedfan and add 15c to get a fairly accurate reading? Here are the speedfan readings right now:
        T1: 33c
        T2: 32c
        Core1: 31c
        Core2: 30c
        Core3: 30c
        Core4: 30c
        Rightmark is reading an avg of 45c, so I would assume it is fairly accurate. I do like how much info speedfan gives me, especially with the video card and hdd temps. Should I be adding 15c to those readings too?
        It's likely that Rightmark is right.

In speedfan, Configure -> Advanced -> Chip (select Intel core)
        Then select each core, add 15 with the drop-down, and check the "remember it".

Comment

speedfan 4.33 has the correct temps for G0 chips. No need to add 15c

Comment

Great blargh--didn't know about those offsets. I've got a B3 stepping on that Q6600, mrfatboy, and I'll probably skip over the G0 chips and make my next one a Penryn. Although, I have to admit I'm getting great rendering speeds with the Kentfield oc'd to 3ghz, so I'll probably be waiting till late in '08 for the full lineup and lower prices. Being 45nm with 12mb L2 cache are something I'm looking forward to. Love that quad o'mine...

Comment

Working...
            X