PDA

View Full Version : In search of an audio app

Mr. C
05-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Hey folks, anybody out there know of a good freebie that plays a variety of audio files and utilizes the DirectShow API ?

I know about Windows Media Player already, thanks.
I was hoping for something a bit easier on resources.

I'd be more than happy to hear any input you might have, Thanks!

Mr.Tweak
05-21-2002, 10:36 AM
WinAMP?

Wiggo
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Winamp 2.8 http://download.com.com/3000-2139-10107731.html?tag=list ;)

Mr. C
05-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately no it uses DirectSound, the sound quality I get from WinAmp is OK the sound I get from Magix Player Jukebox (the quality is directly related to the use of the DirectShow API) is far superior. It has a much broader range and depth to the sound.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, I guess what I'm looking for is an easy to use player like WinAmp that has the sound quality of a player that utilizes DirectShow.

There used to be a rather nice application XingMP3 Player but unfortunately it was bought-out by Real. It is now a part of the pay-for RealPlayer (or whatever they call it these days).

Nothing wrong with WinAmp, I use it a lot cause it's handy. But if you ever get your hands on a player that uses DirectShow you can definitely hear the difference.

aznx
05-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Mr.C, winamp is pretty good, it could be your Jukebox's enchancements or something. another thing that effects quality are your speakers and your sound card. might be your ears too:)

Mr. C
05-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Winamp is pretty good, no doubt about it.
But with an app that utilizes the Directshow API it sounds even better.
As in - turn off equalizers and preamps, play the same audio file in winamp then in magix player jukebox --- no contest, the Directshow API rocks.

I was just wondering if there are any other proggies out there that utilize the Directshow.
A lot of DVD sound is done through directshow isn't it:?:

aznx
05-27-2002, 12:45 PM
yeah, but my point is, is that directshow is a filter and it changes the quality of the music being played. sorta like dfx for winamp, it just uses a different algorithm to decode it, mp3s right? or cd?

dvd's use dolby digital

Mr. C
05-27-2002, 12:59 PM
I wonder which future version of DirectX will eliminate the DirectSound API altogether:?:
No need to keep around dead-weight you know, what with DirectShow being so much better and ............... oh, wait -- we're talking about MicroSoft here:laugh:

Beefy
05-27-2002, 01:00 PM
that's not exactly right aznx... DirectShow / DirectSound aren't filters as such. They are known as API (Application Programming Interface) and are used to process the sound to it's output. You might notice with some software / games, etc.. that you have multiple options for your sound output.

This is much more noticable in the playback of MIDI files, as different API have a different way of playing each individual instrument, hence you can get a completely different sound from one API to the other.

DVD playback on the PC can be done via the DirectShow API as Mr C said (it's usually a choice in the sound options of most DVD software). Dolby Digital and all the other sound formats aren't the same thing. It's kinda hard to explain...

That's the little I know.. I could be wrong...

Beefy
05-27-2002, 01:00 PM
I wonder which future version of DirectX will eliminate the DirectSound API altogether:?:
No need to keep around dead-weight you know, what with DirectShow being so much better and ............... oh, wait -- we're talking about MicroSoft here:laugh:

I'm one for backwards compatibility anyday.. :) Microsoft is backwards, so I have to be compatible.. :laugh:

Mr. C
05-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Actually, I do believe Beefy and aznx are both correct.

I've got a real good URL to back you up, but it's too long or something to put here:shoot2:

Not that I claim to understand it or anything, I just think somehow you both may have hit seperate nails in the same board there:thumb:

sorry to change the subject; did anyone find any apps that I was looking for:?:

Beefy
05-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Different kinds of filters though. Using DFX for Winamp or whatever still requires the use of an API, such as DirectSound.

EDIT: Umm, sorry.. haven't found your software either.. :)

EDIT #2: You had the url right, just the ending didn't work, cos you were trying to reference to a point in a pdf document.. :)

Mr. C
05-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the only program I found other than the one owned now by Real is a total package that does video and the whole schmear. A bit of overkill for what I want to do. :( I got WMP for all that hubbub already.

If anybody needs that URL, message me, I gave up on it:D

Curses - foiled again

dratted PDF to HTML transferrance

Beefy
05-27-2002, 02:19 PM
This URL? (http://www.vovida.org/applications/downloads/winRTP/WinRTP.pdf)