Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA69GM-S2H power consumption

Hi,

I just came across this forum. I wasn't aware of it before. I think it's nice of Gigabyte to answer questions on a public forum. Hopefully somebody can answer mine too.

My question is not exactly about a problem but rather about an issue I read a thread at Silent PC Review's forum where a user who purchased two 690G-based boards compared their power consumption. The models were Biostar's TA690G-AM2 and Gigabyte's GA-MA69GM-S2H.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...c.php?p=361043&

His test results revealed that Gigabyte's board was drawing a full 8-16W more than Biostar's similarly configured board, which it really shouldn't.

This result coincides with numerous user reports of "scorching hot" northbridge on Gigabyte's 690 series boards. I have personally witnessed it with GA-MA69G-S3H (the ATX model) and ended up upgrading the cooler, although I couldn't measure power draw at the time.

This leads me to think something might be internally wrong with Gigabyte's implementation, considering ATI rates the RS690 northbridge at just 9W (TDP). Perhaps the chip is being mistakenly overvolted? I would appreciate if a Gigabyte rep could look into this and see if there's an issue indeed. In that case, do you think a BIOS update can be provided to correct it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by yehuda; 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM.

Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H power consumption

The latest BIOS IS F5, I think it is ok.

Comment

Working...
    X