Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd P35c-DS3R

Hi All suffers,

As the title says I'm on my 3rd GA-P35C-DS3R.

The first one Ver 1.1 got into the reboot cycle. RMAed

Second (Ver 2.0) NO matter what I did it would not FSB any higher than 298 ! It did not matter what multi I used either 6x - 9x. RMAed

Third (V2.0) booted up ok and after 15mins of quick overclocking upto 3.4ghz I decided to update the BIOS. I have stopped using the @BIOS program as I don't trust it. I used the QFlash util from within the bios screen and flashed from file on disk (F8). When I restarted I got the dreaded reboots, but I cleared the CMOS and it fired up ok. I set my usual mem timings and watched the voltages go up and down. It seems that the more I give the CPU the less I get for the DDR2 ???

Tired I thought OK "Money shot" and now with same CPU (Q6600 G0), same RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x1024 DDR800 4-4-4-12, same PSU , same Graphics etc etc etc. It is now running at 400x9=3600mhz !!! with mem @ 1:1 !! CPU voltage is 1.4625 in bios, 1.40 in windows and 1.34 under full load. LOL. At the same time the DDR2 voltage at Normal is 1.808 and at +0.7v is 2.21, but only 2.082 under load.

Please could someone from Gigabyte explain if this vdrop and vdroop is "Normal" ?

Also as www.station-drivers.com is having a few problems with their server, where are the Beta Bios files leeked to ? Or can you send them to me please.

Going to watercool this system over Xmas so hopefully won't be on Mobo 4 buy then.

Wreck3r.

Re: 3rd P35c-DS3R

I also would like to know of any new bios, perticularly with changelog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck3r View Post
      Hi All suffers,

As the title says I'm on my 3rd GA-P35C-DS3R.

The first one Ver 1.1 got into the reboot cycle. RMAed

Second (Ver 2.0) NO matter what I did it would not FSB any higher than 298 ! It did not matter what multi I used either 6x - 9x. RMAed

Third (V2.0) booted up ok and after 15mins of quick overclocking upto 3.4ghz I decided to update the BIOS. I have stopped using the @BIOS program as I don't trust it. I used the QFlash util from within the bios screen and flashed from file on disk (F8). When I restarted I got the dreaded reboots, but I cleared the CMOS and it fired up ok. I set my usual mem timings and watched the voltages go up and down. It seems that the more I give the CPU the less I get for the DDR2 ???

Tired I thought OK "Money shot" and now with same CPU (Q6600 G0), same RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x1024 DDR800 4-4-4-12, same PSU , same Graphics etc etc etc. It is now running at 400x9=3600mhz !!! with mem @ 1:1 !! CPU voltage is 1.4625 in bios, 1.40 in windows and 1.34 under full load. LOL. At the same time the DDR2 voltage at Normal is 1.808 and at +0.7v is 2.21, but only 2.082 under load.

Please could someone from Gigabyte explain if this vdrop and vdroop is "Normal" ?

Also as www.station-drivers.com is having a few problems with their server, where are the Beta Bios files leeked to ? Or can you send them to me please.

Going to watercool this system over Xmas so hopefully won't be on Mobo 4 buy then.

Wreck3r.

vdroop and vdrop are normal.
      read this article which explains it's use.

it starts talking about the newer cpu's but it goes deep into the myth of vdrop and vdroop as far as cpu is concerned. as far a memory i'm not 100% sure but if it works it works. and every motherboard maker has their issues. i have no complaints with my p35c rev 1.1

Comment

Dear fausto412,

Are you from Gigabyte ?

Wreck3r

Comment

Vdroop is normal, but this board has more than a vdroop, its a v fallout alltogether, Vdroop is suppost to drop the voltage on the board by a little bit under heavy load so that if the system suddenly comes out of load it wont upswing and spike your components by a factor of how much it has dropped... but the problem is that mainboard manufacturers use this as a way to cheapen thier power regulation on the board, which was not the original purpose of the design.

Now the manufacturers put less safeguards in place, and actually can use lower cost capacitors because the board will drop voltage anyways so who cares. well, the swings are much wider because of this, causing components to recieve MUCH lower voltage than they need to even operate properly and much higher voltage on the upswing when load decreases. I watched my ram go to 1.8 when being tested, which is .4v less than it needs to operate, which is why it crashes and fails memtest no matter what speed I run them at, increasing the voltage on these boards is dangerous, because although under load you may be around spec with a +.5 or 6 increase, when you sit idle, you will be overvolting the ram. and when you suddenly quite your favorite testing app or game, it can go even higher by a factor related to how much it has dropped. this CAN be fixed, but I think gigabyte should be doing this, because there is no reason to be soldering your own board due to a design defect.

Comment

Hello hollovoid7,

V fallout. LOL. Thats more like it !!

Your right hollovoid7, I agree. Gigabyte can sort this out. I can't be setting the machine to silly voltage levels just so my overclocks remain stable under load.

BTW hollovoid7 have you noticed that with different bios versions you can fail or pass Test 5 on Memtest+ 1.70 at different speeds. eg F3 terrible and DDR2 will only do 1000mhz, but F4g (Good bios !) is ok for 1134mhz !! WTF?

Will fill my sig for all details.

Wreck3r

PS

To Gigabyte wish us all a merry Xmas and sort out the Bios please.

Wish List

1: Proper Voltage setting fix
            2: Vdrop fix
            3: Vdroopfix
            4: Mem timing values same in bios as in windows (Use Memset to check) fix

If anyone has any others please feel free to add them.

Comment

I will have to try the earlier bios's and let you know, am currently running f8 right now, and have no luck even booting at 1100+, 1066 is very unstable, currently running 880 w/ timings at 4-4-4-12 and its stable, but the idea of keeping my memory bus Overvolted +.3 to even use 4 sticks of ram should not be happening. And my p965 board has no issues with this ram at all at stock 1066 speeds, even passes memtest. but the board is not a great overclocker, so I moved to this board.. it can overclock alright, if you dont want the ram coming up with it or if your ok with 2 sticks of ram or 4 sticks of very low speed ram.
              that said, will try some bios experimentation.. got some time off and need to waste it :)

Comment

This is why you wait for DDR3 to become relatively mainstream. I was about to get the P35C-DS3R, and I'm very glad I got the P35-DS3R instead - amazing board! Check the sig... Merry Christmas all.

Comment

Working...
                X