Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Gigabyte motherboard P35 in the case

Hi all,

Since this is tech support for Gigabyte, I think this is the best place to ask this question.

This is hardware installation question:

This is regarding the Fiber Washers (red washers) that was included in the ATX case.

I'm trying to install my new GA-P35DS3L motherboard with my new case. I noticed that this new case doesn't have those red washers (a.k.a Fiber washer) with it. I thought it was just wasn't shipped or something... but when I called them (ATX case manufacturer), they said that it really doesn't have it. However, it still has those METAL standoffs instead of plastic. I was expecting plastic because red fiber washers were not included. Now, I did some little research about these "red washers" and I got so confused and interested at the same time.

I found out that there was a long debate about using this red fiber washer or not. Some people say that these "red washers" is a MUST for BOTH sides (1 on top and 1 underneath the mobo for each screw). Some of them say that these red washers will not be in the package if it wasn't important (true).

Some people say that these Red Washers are useless (just for tightening purposes or for non-metallic holes in the mobo). They also say that you should just directly screw the bolts without the use of any washer. They say that the purpose for that is grounding stuff (which I think is very important).
    They also said that those "metallic holes" in the motherboard was put there for this grounding purposes. Motherboard manufacturers will not put metal holes if it will just be insulated by red washers. They should have put a non-insulating material instead (good point too).

I know that Gigabyte is using this metallic holes in this mobo (as I can see it) but I just want to make sure.

Should I put the red fiber washers or not? Is it better WITHOUT red washers for better grounding? This question may be silly/stupid and I apologize for that. ATM, I can't afford to RMA this because I don't have time. I'm just trying to minimize mistakes in my installation.

Thank you so much. Happy New year!
    Last edited by keplenk; 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM.

Re: Installing Gigabyte motherboard P35-DS3L in the ATX case

Originally posted by keplenk View Post
    Hi all,

Since this is tech support for Gigabyte, I think this is the best place to ask this question.

This is hardware installation question:

This is regarding the Fiber Washers (red washers) that was included in the ATX case.

I'm trying to install my new GA-P35DS3L motherboard with my new case. I noticed that this new case doesn't have those red washers (a.k.a Fiber washer) with it. I thought it was just wasn't shipped or something... but when I called them (ATX case manufacturer), they said that it really doesn't have it. However, it still has those METAL standoffs instead of plastic. I was expecting plastic because red fiber washers were not included. Now, I did some little research about these "red washers" and I got so confused and interested at the same time.

I found out that there was a long debate about using this red fiber washer or not. Some people say that these "red washers" is a MUST for BOTH sides (1 on top and 1 underneath the mobo for each screw). Some of them say that these red washers will not be in the package if it wasn't important (true).

Some people say that these Red Washers are useless (just for tightening purposes or for non-metallic holes in the mobo). They also say that you should just directly screw the bolts without the use of any washer. They say that the purpose for that is grounding stuff (which I think is very important).
    They also said that those "metallic holes" in the motherboard was put there for this grounding purposes. Motherboard manufacturers will not put metal holes if it will just be insulated by red washers. They should have put a non-insulating material instead (good point too).

I know that Gigabyte is using this metallic holes in this mobo (as I can see it) but I just want to make sure.

Should I put the red fiber washers or not? Is it better WITHOUT red washers for better grounding? This question may be silly/stupid and I apologize for that. ATM, I can't afford to RMA this because I don't have time. I'm just trying to minimize mistakes in my installation.

Thank you so much. Happy New year!
    You don't need the washers and shouldn't use them else you will interfere with grounding of the motherboard. Use metal standoffs and screws. Just make sure there is a hole in the motherboard for every installed standoff, else you may short out your motherboard. For example, when I replaced my Intel D975XBX with my current GA-P35-DS4, I had to remove a standoff, because the Intel accommodated 11, while the Gigabyte only had holes for 10.

Comment

Re: Installing Gigabyte motherboard P35 in the case

Thank you for your reply :) I'll take note of that info

Comment

Working...
      X