PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 System Temps?

Wesker776
01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any other X38 owners who could post their "System Temps".

I'm assuming that system temp is northbridge, correct? The manual doesn't state it so, but it certainly seems like it (with my temps at least).

You see, I believe that my X38-DQ6 board has an overheating northbridge issue. No, it is not a cooling issue, as the heatsink and heatpipes are working--very well in fact. The BIOS reports that the System Temp (idle) is roughly 52*C--that's with the MCH undervolted by 10%.

Call me crazy, but no motherboard chipset (especially one with 3 heatpipes leading out) should be running at that temperature while idle and undervolted. How on earth can I overclock this motherboard, when the NB is running so hot already?

I run the northbridge with a 333MHz system bus (1333MHz quad pumped). All voltages for the CPU, memory, MCH and FSB are at stock (except the -10% undervolting of the MCH). Further, my case is the Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 with all the stock fans running and my CPU cooler is the Gigabyte 3D Rocket II.

I also believe the BIOS is correct (F6b by the way) as the heatsink array is extremely hot to touch (really feels like 50*C to me).

Could this be a factory overvoltage problem? Does my motherboard's northbridge MOSFET deliver too much voltage?

I'd like some more input from some other X38-DQ6 owners and Janus.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Northbridge reaches 62*C under load!

Bohoba
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
running two games and reading the fourms
stock cooler atm :(

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8718F (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte G31 / G33 / P31 / P35 / X38 Series
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 C (99 F)
CPU 52 C (126 F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 63 C (145 F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 60 C (140 F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 55 C (131 F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 58 C (136 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2616 RPM
Chassis 1223 RPM
Power Supply 5921 RPM
Fan #4 3479 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.25 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+12 V 12.39 V
+5 V Standby 5.11 V
VBAT Battery 3.26 V
DIMM 2.11 V

Field Value
Computer
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16575
DirectX DirectX 10.0
Computer Name BOHOBA-PC
User Name Bohoba
Date / Time 2008-01-02 / 07:17

Motherboard
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 3015 MHz (9 x 335)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Beachwood X38

Wesker776
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
What temperature is your northbridge?

I just ran an instance of Supreme Commander, and the "System Temp" reached 62*C.

I think something is wrong with my northbridge. It shouldn't be running this hot.

Bohoba
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
where are you reading the northbridge temp I don't see that listed. I could bring home a lazer thermal from work and check I guess..

Wesker776
01-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Under EasyTune5 Pro (or the BIOS) look at "System Temp".

I'm assuming that it's the northbridge temperature, as I can think of no where else on the motherboard that would reach 62*C.

Bohoba
01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Ok well I can't load that again I guess the unistall did not clean up properly and now it won't install untill I get rid of the rest of easytune hummmmm.

Wesker776
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Can you check your temps through the BIOS?

It's under the CPU Temp stat in the PC Health tab.

Rayvin52
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Wesker-
Just running my browser and Easy Tune is reporting a system temp of 28C for me. Not sure where that temp is taken from, but whatever it is, yours seems to definitely be running way hotter than mine. You might want to check to make sure your Silent Pipe heatsinks are all making good contact with your chipsets...the fact I'm only running a 1066 fsb would account for some of the difference, but not 24C worth...
Just rebooted and the system temp in the bios is the same as EasyTune's reading, 28C. I'd try running it with a 1333 fsb but my QX6700 (B3) is really fussy about any large changes from 1066.

Bohoba
01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
system temp is the mother board temp in everest tool, so if your system temp is that high on the MB I would check for better case cooling
could be the NB causing it I suppose worth looking at for sure, have you disturbed the silent cooler at all,, IE remove back cool plate to mount no intel cpu fan ?

Wesker776
01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm almost positive that the "System Temp" is the northbridge temperature. The heatsink feels hot to the touch (50-ish degrees IMO), and I expect that the heatsink is making proper contact with the IHS of the X38 chipset.

I've even returned all BIOS settings to stock with my Q6600, yet the "System Temp" still reads 52-62*C.

Also, I haven't tampered with the stock cooling at all and I'd say that my case is well ventilated. My CPU, GPU and memory have no heat problems at all.

I suppose an RMA will be in order... *sigh* -_-"

Anyway, thanks all.

Bohoba
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I think that may be your best bet unfortunately :( I still can't get easy tune to re-install it left something in the register or somewhere so it thinks it is still installed :(

f-town
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
keep in mind X38 chipset is sposed to run alot hotter...almost as hot as 680i ive heard
good luck with it :)

f-town
01-06-2008, 10:47 AM
keep in mind X38 chipset is sposed to run alot hotter...almost as hot as 680i ive heard
good luck with it :)

Bohoba
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I feel for ya m8 for sure, I just spent the last few hours removing my motherboard from the case and installing a Zalman 9700 led that was fun

Temperatures
Motherboard 39 C (102 F)
CPU 42 C (108 F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 50 C (122 F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 49 C (120 F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 45 C (113 F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 47 C (117 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1735 RPM

Wesker776
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I've lodged an RMA with the store I purchased the motherboard from.

They're now contacting the distributors to see if my motherboard's temperatures are out of range.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

LambChop
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Well too late now but:

CPU: around 30 C, 40-45 C under very heavy load

Motherboard 30 - 35 C again under heavy load...

Wesker776
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
BTW, here's an image for reference:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6745/30653421zo7.jpg

1066 MHz FSB (quad pumped)
800 MHz Memory (double pumped)
Reference voltage (Auto set in BIOS)
BIOS version F6b
IDLE system, aswell (which is most concerning)

I was wondering what Janus thinks of this...

BTW, ignore the fan RPM warnings. I've got my case fans hooked to my PSU.

Rayvin52
01-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Wesker-
Here's a sshot of ETune on my rig...BTW, the cpu temps are reading 14c cooler than actual, so ETune is not even close on that account. How far off with the system temp, I have no idea. Just updated to bios F7, and the reading for my system temp went up (at idle) by 3c.
http://www.firsttakestudios.com/etIdlereading.jpg

Bohoba
01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
hummm is the NB still hot to touch ??, I loaded F7 also but it keep the cpu fan at 100% no matter what the bios is set on. hummm

got it running 3.3ghz I just did a +10 multiplier left the fsb at 333 for now 7 hours on test bench with everest cpu hit 50c will have to sneek it up a bit :)

Wesker776
01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
The temps I get in EasyTune are the same as the BIOS, so I imagine they're correct.

I updated the BIOS to F7 this morning. Northbridge heatsink is still very hot to touch (~50*C+ IMO).

You know, I don't want to buy a crazy ASUS kitchensink motherboard, as I've been using Gigabyte motherboards for quite some time now. I know their BIOS' well and I know what to expect from them. But if I can't get this issue resolved, I may very well have to go to ASUS.

How can I even run a 1600MHz FSB processor when the northbridge is overheating with a 1066MHz FSB idle processor?

Rayvin52
01-12-2008, 08:59 AM
When it comes to the cpu temp, ETune and the bios both list temps that are about 14c cooler than Everest, Speedfan and RightMark. Don't for a minute believe that my QX6700 is actually running at 23c, even at idle. It's a B3 stepping and is oc'd by 600mhz. So you might want to use a more accurate utility-and your cpu is most likely running at about 47c @ idle, not 31c. I have to agree with Bohoba's first idea, you probably need better case cooling.

Bohoba
01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
no word from the RMA I take it then ??

va00
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I have another board, P35-DS4, but exactly the same problem:
System temp reported by both BIOS & Easy Tune are
always above 50c, while CPU temperature is 32c. System is almost idle, and case opened. Maybe the problem is related to desktop cases?

Bohoba
01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
wish I knew where E tune kept all its files and inf it just won't allow me to install it again I had removed it after I checked it out once and now when I go to install it again it tells me to remove E tune first. :(

Rayvin52
01-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Bohoba- Why not run regclean and see if you can reinstall ETune after that?

Wesker776
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
When it comes to the cpu temp, ETune and the bios both list temps that are about 14c cooler than Everest, Speedfan and RightMark. Don't for a minute believe that my QX6700 is actually running at 23c, even at idle. It's a B3 stepping and is oc'd by 600mhz. So you might want to use a more accurate utility-and your cpu is most likely running at about 47c @ idle, not 31c. I have to agree with Bohoba's first idea, you probably need better case cooling.

I've got a G0 stepping Q6600 at stock speeds. I don't doubt the BIOS reads at all (heatsink is cool to touch, in fact).

If I need better case cooling, then I'll give up on this motherboard completely. I've got an 3D Aurora 570 with three 120mm fans (two rear exhaust, one front intake). Not to be rude, but I can't see how that's insufficient cooling.

Also, I've still got no word on the RMA. I'll call up the store tomorrow morning.

Rayvin52
01-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Didn't know your case specs, Wesker, just tossing ideas around...you're the one who asked other board owners for opinions. I guess your case is not the issue, but that doesn't change the fact that EasyTune is not accurate when it comes to my cpu temps, that's all. Maybe it is with yours, but the only way you could be sure would be to compare it to a utility that's known to be more accurate. However, since your cpu temps don't seem to be your concern, but rather your northbridge temps, I'm sorry I brought it up. It's just that EasyTune isn't even close to accurate, not just from my experience but many others on these and other forums.
Hope your RMA goes quickly for you.

Bohoba
01-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Bohoba- Why not run regclean and see if you can reinstall ETune after that?

nope just tried registry Mechanic no joy :(

Wesker776,, Ya hope they replace it soon for you

Wesker776
01-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I've sent another email to the retailer I bought the board from asking about the RMA. I've also sent a question to Gigabyte via GGTS.

I'll update this as word comes along.

Also, Rayvin, no harm done. It's all good. :)

spec
02-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I've sent another email to the retailer I bought the board from asking about the RMA. I've also sent a question to Gigabyte via GGTS.

I'll update this as word comes along.

Also, Rayvin, no harm done. It's all good. :)

Hi, Any luck with this.
I may be having the same issue as you.
Running a Q6600 with CNPS9700, GA-X38Dq6, 2GB Corsair, 8800GTX
Thermaltake Kandalf with 25cm fan on side panel !
stock frequency, stock voltage - i.e no overclocking

Idle
Temp1 (system) - 48
CPU - 29

Load (after 3d Mark, 30 mins, GPU tests only)
Temp 1 (system) - 61
CPU - 38

If you've got a response from Gigabyte, please post what's the operating temp of this mobo...

Before this I didn't have the side panel with fan, idle temps were 54!
I had the case open and put a 40cm table fan blowing air to keep it at 42 :).

I may try the option of removing the thermal pad from under the system chip and trying a bit of arctic silver...

Lsdmeasap
02-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Temp system one is your NB as stated above, and I find the easytune is pretty accurate

CPU is not the core temps, just incase you didnt know. Yeah that may or may not need to be your worry, but you do need to keep a eye on your CORE temps not your cpu temp(Download coretemp to watch those or everest) Here so you can see why I think easytune is pretty accurate>>>>

http://i27.tinypic.com/zo89i1.png

Yeah, I would redo the thermal pads/paste. I found under my DS4 pipes that only half my NB was even covered. I redo them all always anyway when I first get them and install my CPU.

I do suggest you be very carefull with the arctic under there, or use some non conductive paste, I use TX-2

spec
02-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I would redo the thermal pads/paste. I found under my DS4 pipes that only half my NB was even covered. I redo them all always anyway when I first get them and install my CPU.

I do suggest you be very carefull with the arctic under there, or use some non conductive paste, I use TX-2

I had checked my temps using speed fan, easy tune and BIOS. all report same. The bios was a degree cooler, but I guess that's probably because it cooled down by the time i shutdown and restarted for going into the BIOS.

I have some Arctic Alumina Ceramic (normal, the non epoxy one).
the description of the product reads...
"Arctic Alumina Compound is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive."

I'm assuming this should be ok to use ?

Lsdmeasap
02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Yep, ceramic is good to use. Just no Arctic Silver or anything with silver in it

spec
03-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok Lads,
After recovering my system ICH9R RAID failure (now on GB RAID). Rebuilt again and did some tinkering around. My system temps were too high, but I've managed to get it down (still not happy) by doing a few simple fixes.
Changes I made -
1. The tower was under the desk and the back of my table was probably redirecting hot air locallly, moved it to side of my desk, about 30-40cm away from wall.
2. Moved the disks from the lower tray to the tray next to the PSU, allowing the lower tray with the 120mm fan to directly provide air to the MB area.

Following are some screenies of my temps...

Idle temps
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2624/idlewithsidefanyo6.jpg

Load temps with Side panel fan - OFF
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6564/prime95smallffttophddsigl7.jpg

Load temps with side panel fan - ON
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7618/prime95smallffttophddsimq5.jpg

Are these temps too high ?
Temp1 relates to System temp as displayed by easytune5(not show in picture).
Temp2 is CPU temp as shown in easytune5I have a few questions on these temps, if someone knows...
- The temp of eah core is less than temp2(CPU temp), why ? Shouldn't it be the other way round ?
- The -12v and -5v voltages seem way off !

Lsdmeasap
03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Looks like a good improvement!

I always am thinking of my front intake fan blowing right over my hard drives into the case, seems like it is actually a Heater more than anything, but I guess I have to sacrifice so my drives stay cool.

spec
03-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Looks like a good improvement!

I always am thinking of my front intake fan blowing right over my hard drives into the case, seems like it is actually a Heater more than anything, but I guess I have to sacrifice so my drives stay cool.

Front intake was blowing onto HDD first.. Then I saw Thermaltake have taken quite somepain in designing a top mount HDD rack, why not try it !
It does make a difference...
But that brings me to my next question... where are the HDD temps with speedfan... they seem to have disappeared !
SMART is enabled in the BIOS, still can't see temps.

Lsdmeasap
03-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Do your hard drives support smart? If so I dunno. I have smart disabled in my bios and I see my hard drive temps, but only the ones not in a raid array so maybe that is why you do not see them

Yeah I have thought about mounting them in my 5 1/2 bays with adapters but then I would still want a fan on them so either way the warm air would still be tossed into the system air mixture and wouldnt matter I suppose.

I dunno though, They may be alright without a fan on them anyway, I mean they arent raptors or anything. I guess I could set them outside my case and see how much of a difference it makes with the cool air intake on overall temps then decide if I want my drives not cooled

spec
03-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Do your hard drives support smart? If so I dunno. I have smart disabled in my bios and I see my hard drive temps, but only the ones not in a raid array so maybe that is why you do not see them

Yeah I have thought about mounting them in my 5 1/2 bays with adapters but then I would still want a fan on them so either way the warm air would still be tossed into the system air mixture and wouldnt matter I suppose.

I dunno though, They may be alright without a fan on them anyway, I mean they arent raptors or anything. I guess I could set them outside my case and see how much of a difference it makes with the cool air intake on overall temps then decide if I want my drives not cooled

Yes they support, I tried this when I installed my OS earlier.
Though 2 things have changed, now the disks are in the GB RAID0 and the BIOS has changed to F7. Could vista have anything to do with this ?

If you mount them on 5 1/2 still the same right, it still going into the cage.
Since I have a kandalf case, they have a cage which can locate on the back, above & behind the CPU next to the PSU. There is a fan which pulls air from the case, over the cage, so it should be good, but I wanted to check the temps on the HDD's to be sure, but speedfan is not able to get temps now.

Lsdmeasap
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I am not sure really, I know if mine RAID disk on GB ports are in IDE mode I see the temps, but not in RAID mode though, So I think it is a raid issue. I use vista as well.

I think the only way is IDE mode to see the temps, I dunno let me check see what speedfan tells me, but I think it is only my non raid disks it shows on

*EDIT*

Yeap only non raid volumes show temp info. Speedfan shows me the smart info for my non raid disk even when it is off in bios as well!

spec
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
What do you think about the temps.
Are the system temps are still a bit on the high side, 46 seems a bit on the high for idle to me....

What about the CPU vs core temps, the cores are cooler than the CPU, is this ok ?

Lsdmeasap
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Cores should not be cooler then cpu since they are inside the cpu it would have to be warmer or the same so adjust that I would assume. Get a copy of everest.

Yeah Idle at 46 seems high, but that all is up to you are your comfortableness with your voltages and cooling setup.

Here is mine for 3.4>>>>

http://i31.tinypic.com/2pqko7m.png
http://i30.tinypic.com/2zqfmuh.png

spec
03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Cores should not be cooler then cpu since they are inside the cpu it would have to be warmer or the same so adjust that I would assume. Get a copy of everest.

Yeah Idle at 46 seems high, but that all is up to you are your comfortableness with your voltages and cooling setup.

Here is mine for 3.4>>>>

well, these temps are at stock !
cpu is at 2.4 ghz and mem is at stock 1066 5-5-5-15.
CPU has aftermarket cooler Zalman 9700, which looking at the temps is good for overclocking, but no way with the system temps being that high.

Lsdmeasap
03-09-2008, 12:29 PM
You talking about your system or mine?

I use a 9700 as well, those are my temps overclocked at idle.

Ya I thought you used watercooling is why I said that about cooling. Sp yeah you need to add 15C to each core on coretemp that is why they are off.

Here check out this app called realtemp it is in development but is pretty damn close to a correct coretemp reading, you may also want to get the app called coretemp

RealTemp

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTemp.zip

Coretemp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

With Coretemp, DO NOT use the actual temp recording method. Go into options and tick the box that says "show remaing delta to tjunction max" that is the ACCURATE way to see how far your cpu has to go before it hits throttling action. If you keep the cpu at least 15c away or more from this...which isn't hard to do with a decent cooler and moderate airflow...your cpu will be very happy.

spec
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
You talking about your system or mine?

I use a 9700 as well, those are my temps overclocked at idle.

Ya I thought you used watercooling is why I said that about cooling. Sp yeah you need to add 15C to each core on coretemp that is why they are off.

Here check out this app called realtemp it is in development but is pretty damn close to a correct coretemp reading, you may also want to get the app called coretemp

RealTemp

Coretemp

Nope, just air cooling for me.
I tried core temp -
On full load it shows
Core#0: 44c to Tjunction max remaining
Core#1: 48
Core#2: 44
Core#3: 48

All in C0 state (expected) and 2400.08Mhz(266.68 x 9.0)

This is at stock. I guess this program doesn't show MB temps.
I'm worried about system temps, they are a bit high.
The CPU cooler is barely warm to touch, the system chips are much warmer. at full load I can keep my finger for about 5-6 secs.

Lsdmeasap
03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Ya, I would set a fan on your NB heatsink, and redo the Thermal paste under it and the mosfets if you feel up to that. Use NON conductive paste

Everest will show you MB temps, which is really the NB temps. And yeah to hot to touch is too hot, can you use less Voltage on your FSB or MCH (MCH Mainly I would try to bring down first) If so do it, or if not for sure if you do not feel like redoing the paste get a 40MM fan and stick on there

And hey, uncheck the "Show to Tjunction Max' Box and you will see you actual core temps, so that way you can make the proper adjustments to speedfan if you like, That setting just shows you how much you have left before the CPU shuts itself off from being too hot