Building New System_Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building New System_Advice Please

I am building a new system to replace my P4 system that is about 4 years old. These are the parts I have so far:

PC Power & Cooling 750w PS
    Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 memory- 4 x 1gb modules
    2 LiteOn 20x SATA DVD burners
    1 Seagate 250 gb SATA drive- system drive
    2 Seagate 500 gb SATA drives- storage drives
    2 Seagate 250 gb PATA drives- from old system, may not use
    1 Sony floppy drive
    ABS Monolith case

The two boards I am considering are:
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4

I plan on getting the Intel C2D E8400 processor as soon as it is available, probably next week
    I also plan on getting a Gigabyte Radeon HD 3870 video card when I order the mb and processor. Does anyone know of any problems with the two motherboards I am considering and the components I already have, especially the memory. Any other advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Any comments, likes or dislikes, on the two motherboards will be welcome.
    Thanks

Omg...even with that large amount of devices you have...a 750W Psu?
    You're going to connect your stove too?

For the P35-DS4..hmm..since Bios F11 it's running pretty well, can't say it has any real flaws.

Few small itches to note:
    they omitted the backplates for the SilentPipe system on recent boards, pretty lame to steal away this tiny bit of value for a board at that steep of a price;
    the second system fan connector isn't providing full-power and its 4-pin pwm function is non-existant (pwm fans just don't start up there) so you basically can only use it to read out fan-speeds;
    the northbridge fan connector doesn't provide rpm readings (is usable though);
    oh, and Revision 2.0 can't run this new power-saving tool so try to get 2.1 if you care;

Don't use the intel push-pin bracket system, (just ordered a cooler with backplate) - the push-pin stock cooler i have mounted atm is literally bending the board on the back.
    Last edited by Rewl; 01-17-2008, 10:58 AM.
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

Comment

Re: Building New System_Advice Please

Hmmm..I would look elsewhere than Gigabyte based on my experience with the P35C-DS3R. I would even maybe look for a newer board than the P35 if you upgrade every 4 years.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a Zalman 9700LED heatsink I forgot to put in previous list. The 750w PS is not overkill IMO. The reason I am rebuilding the P4 system is because it is unstable. It had a 450w PS in it that failed. I won't go into details here, but it was rock solid until then and now even with new PS it just isn't like it was.
        If the stock Intel heatsink is bending your Gigabyte board, the quality must really suck. Very thin PCB.
        I have never owned a Gigabyte board. I usually use Asus, and a few years ago Abit. The board I am replacing is a MSI. I just liked the price/features of the two Gigabyte boards I listed.
        Thanks for the replies, and any other info or opinions welcome.

Comment

When you install the CPU cooler you need to support the back of the board as you lock down each pin.
          That information is spelled out somewhere, can't lay my hands on it at the moment. Any how no bends in my board
          Build 10 November 07 so far not even a hiccup. No over clocking
          Gigabyte Poseidon Case, gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2 , bios F11
          PSU corsair 620HX,
          CPU Intel C2D E6750 2.66 gig,
          Memory Crucial, 8 gig ,(4 X 2) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 1.8 volt
          GPU PNY 8500GT 512MB.
          2 Seagate internal SATA HD, 1 Seagate SATA in Apricorn enclosure runing ESATA on the GigaByte(purple) conection. XP Pro 32 Vista HP 64 & windows 7 X64 triple boot using Boot Pro

Comment

The Gigabyte SATA connectors is the primary reason I like this board. Having 2 extra SATA connectors that can be used for external if needed is a real plus. If I am correct, they can be used internal or external. I would like to know how they perform. Are they as fast as the integrated Intel connectors? Do they work OK?
            Also, I really like the price of the Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4. That is as cheap for a X38 board as I have seen. I have seen references to a GA-x38-DS5 that has the same Gigabyte SATA controller as the DS4, but I can't find it anywhere. I usually buy from Newegg, but they don't carry it, if it is actually in production.
            Thanks again for the info.

Comment

The SATA (GigaByte) connectors work fine. They allow Safely remove hardware. I have had an internal SATA drive Connected, SATA optical connected and now a SeaGate Free Agent Pro hooked up to the ESATA port for backup. By using the ESATA I can keep the free agent drive turned off unless I want to do a backup.
              PSU corsair 620HX,
              GPU PNY 8500GT 512MB.
              2 Seagate internal SATA HD, 1 Seagate SATA in Apricorn enclosure runing ESATA on the GigaByte(purple) conection. XP Pro 32 Vista HP 64 & windows 7 X64 triple boot using Boot Pro

Comment

Thanks for the info Hudson80. It sounds like the Gigabyte Sata connector is what I am looking for. Have you had any problems with the fan connectors like Rewl has. I am just wondering if this is common, although a sample of two is hardly definitive. But if you both have the same problem, maybe it is not uncommon. If you had it to do over, would you buy the same board again or something else.

Comment

Probably not a good one to ask. This my first build. Just wanted to see if I could. Did some research, checked in with a couple of other forums. Sent a email to GigaByte tech support. I have had no problems that I didn't cause myself. My core temps run in the very low 40's using the default BIOS settings. I did print and study the manual before I bought. Also, did a preliminary install and smoke test out of the case with just the psu, gpu, monitor, and 1 stick of ram. Would I buy Gigabyte again . Yes.
                  You need to realize on any forum. Most of the folks with out problems don't post.
                  I'm an old man, not much to do in the winter when i can't get out to dig in the dirt so i lurk in several forums.
                  PSU corsair 620HX,
                  GPU PNY 8500GT 512MB.

Comment

Old man? Hehe, I am 53. I work construction, so I don't do much in the winter either if I don't have to. I see you are in Alabama. I have worked several projects there. Decatur, Mobile, Selma, and the GE plant in Burkville, just outside Montgomery come to mind. Nice state. Oh yeah, the paper mill in Pine Hill, too. Hard to remember them all off hand.
                    I am continuing to do research, won't make a decision for another week or two. I have a short list of about 5 to consider, while I wait on the new Intel processors. I think they will be out the 20th. Just have to wait and see.
                    So this is your first build. Did you have fun? Will you do it again?
                    Last edited by ElectroM; 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Yes and Maybe. Lots of upgrade and tinkering I can do with this one

This forum has a new build section you might like to look over.
                      PSU corsair 620HX,
                      GPU PNY 8500GT 512MB.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectroM View Post
                        If the stock Intel heatsink is bending your Gigabyte board, the quality must really suck. Very thin PCB.
                        Yea, i got that feeling too, seems a bit soft the board;
                        Not sure if there are differences between the generations of stock coolers shipped. I did assemble it carefully and i consider myself handy enough ;). The push-pins took quite some force to press down and when i had it mounted firmly i realized i had to even push more to make the clips fully snap in.
                        Anyway problem solved with Auras LPT-700.

Not sure about the lesson i learned there: no more GB boards or no more stock coolers? Despite the much higher effort i think i'm gonna stick to backplate solutions in the future anyway.

About the Sys Fan 2, there are some other threads about this problem here.

Sata performance on additional controllers is usually somewhat lower but those are synthetic considerations, in real life application they should do well enough.

p.s: most of the reviews i read state that Asus boards for the P35 chipset consume 10-20 watts more power - i wouldn't even look at those.
                        Last edited by Rewl; 01-19-2008, 05:01 AM.
                        GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                        i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                        32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
                        Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                        Seasonic G-550

Comment

Working...
                        X