Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS4 Problems

Hellow all,

The other day, I purchased a P35-DS4, along with some Crucial Ballistix PC8500 (2x1GB) and a Nvidia 8800GT.

After setting up my system, I was able to install and run it, however after several hours of prolonged use, the system would start becoming unstable; applications would crash and I would eventually get a bluescreen. Running memtest86+ during this time showed many random memory errors, however usually rearranging the memory or removing a stick fixed that temporarily.

I had a couple instances where the system would try to boot without making any noise, then shut off, just to repeat continuously, and I seem to remember the Power LED flashing once when the system tried to come on.

I thought it had something to do with the hard drives being so close to the RAM, being this is the largest motherboard I've used, and its a bit cramped in my mid tower case.

Last night, I decided to try a different power supply, and rolled back from BIOS F11 to the initial F8, given the amount of problems with past BIOSes I've seen in here. System booted and ran okay, so I left it overnight to see how well it would do, only to awake to it going through the power up, shut down, power up cycle again. It does this without anything else besides the CPU inserted, with the video card, memory, and drives unattached, not even a BIOS beep to indicate a problem.

I removed the battery for a few minutes and put it back in, removed the CPU/heatsink and reinserted it, and put the video card and one stick of memory in, it continues to boot/restart, but now the alarm goes off when it does this.

I figure I'm going to have to RMA the board back to Newegg at this point, any advice as to what was happening here?

Thanks.

Re: P35-DS4 Problems

F11 is fine you didn't have to rollback.
    If you say cramped, it could be overheating. Is your case somewhat ventilated?
    Other than that, failing to start may be the power supply too, maybe it can't keep up with the new board and Geforce 8800.
    It could be overheating of the Geforce too...
    hmm you did connect all the auxiliary power connectors too?
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

Comment

After the first mini bout of cycling, I went from a HiPro 400 watt PSU to an Antec True Power 650 Watt. Switching back didn't help. The only power I left was what was on the board (24 pin + CPU pin + molex on board). Still not helping. After I removed and reseated the video card, the alarm stopped, but its still cycle restarting. I'm about to just RMA this board back since I can't think of anything else to check.

Comment

Also, I've tried to reset the CMOS, left the battery out with the PSU unplugged for a good half hour, and even let it sit for a few hours with the case open with a box fan pointed at it, and even that hasn't helped get it booting again.

Comment

And one other thing, I tried booting withotu the video card to see if the BIOS would at least beep and acknowledge it sees no video, this did not change anything, still cycle resetting (even with just CPU/fan + only power connectors to motherboard and nothing else connected, not even memory). Regardless of the configuration, it still silently cycle boots.

Comment

Do you have your memory voltages and timings set properly for that ram? 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2 Volts? If not that may be your problem, as auto surely wont pick those timings or voltages

Comment

Also disable legacy USB storage detect and dont have any usb devices hooked up and see if that helps as well

Comment

Ah well, sounds like RMA time, then you can rule out the board at least. :(
                GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
                Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                Seasonic G-550

Comment

Working...
                X