GA-X38-DQ6 - RAID 0 Status Failed on BIOS Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X38-DQ6 - RAID 0 Status Failed on BIOS Change

I've lost my RAID array after changing some memory timings in BIOS!!
    Issue is on a Gigabyte GA-X38DQ6 board...
    Hoping that one of you guys will be able to help me out with this.

Link to issue from Storage Device board... (didn't want to repeat posting)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=26070
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Re: GA-X38-DQ6 - RAID 0 Status Failed on BIOS Change

Set it all back to default, reboot and go back in the bios and make sure in advanced options your RAID(SCSI) disk is set as first boot device

Do this first, not what I emailed you about
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a573573 View Post
      Set it all back to default, reboot and go back in the bios and make sure in advanced options your RAID(SCSI) disk is set as first boot device

Do this first, not what I emailed you about
      Tried this, loaded fail safe and then changed BIOS to specify RAID.
      Now the RAID screen shows up, but the RAID name has gone.
      It shows 2 disks both with status non-member disk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Find a copy of RAID Reconstructor then, you will need a IDE drive or additional SATA drive to move the data to. Or it may also be able to fix this for you, otherwise you may just have to delete and reinstall

Comment

sry about the ultra-smart reply, but that's a prime example why you shouldn't use software-raid at all...it's pure gunk;
          experienced the same problem on a friends machine: raid gone after bios-update;
          i was able to 'fix' it by connecting it to another brand board with the same southbridge;
          GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
          i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
          32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
          Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
          Seasonic G-550

Comment

What RAID level were you using?
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Rewl View Post
              sry about the ultra-smart reply, but that's a prime example why you shouldn't use software-raid at all...it's pure gunk;
              experienced the same problem on a friends machine: raid gone after bios-update;
              i was able to 'fix' it by connecting it to another brand board with the same southbridge;
              software RAID ?? I was using RAID from the Motherboard, I guess that should be Hardware RAID provided by the Southbridge on the board.

can you describe how you were able to setup the same RAID in a different board ? I might try the same steps on my board, as I doubt my disks have gone this soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak View Post
                What RAID level were you using?
                RAID 0, ofcourse :)

Comment

Originally posted by spec View Post
                  RAID 0, ofcourse :)
                  Gosh, for some reason I didn't see the "0" at all.
                  Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Hehe no kidding, i didn't do anything at all - just connect. Think i had to swap the ports once..afterwards it instantly recognized the old config/data.

You call anything software raid which isn't working fully off a hardware controller-chip..the standard raid from on-board controllers and inexpensive sata cards is only emulating raid. The "raid-chip" is more or less only routing the tasks.
                    True raid (hardware) you usually find in a server or on more expensive controllers (200€ +) - you'll recognize them by a larger controller-chip, sometimes even with a small heatsink attached - here the chip does all the work/config independently.
                    (sorry about the limited detail, you can read it up in broader detail on wikipedia and the likes)
                    Last edited by Rewl; 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM.
                    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                    Seasonic G-550

Comment

Hehe no kidding, i didn't do anything at all - just connect. Think i had to swap the ports once..afterwards it instantly recognized the old config/data.

You call anything software raid which isn't working fully off a hardware controller-chip..the standard raid from on-board controllers and inexpensive sata cards is only emulating raid. The "raid-chip" is more or less only routing the tasks.
                      True raid (hardware) you usually find in a server or on more expensive controllers (200€ +) - you'll recognize them by a larger controller-chip, sometimes even with a small heatsink attached - here the chip does all the work/config independently.
                      (sorry about the limited detail, you can read it up in broader detail on wikipedia and the likes)
                      well, I tried that, my disks were connected to port 2 & 4 eariler.
                      I then tried to connect to 5&6, it did recognise the RAID, but only displayed 1 as member disk, and the other was still Non-RAID Disk, with the RAID status being displayed as Failed!

I also d/l the demo version of RAID Recovery, changed the BIOS settings to non-RAID and ran the s/w, it was easily able to determine the RAID type, orientation, etc etc... When I did analyse, it was able to detect the files, however, it will not allow me to save, since it's a demo.
                      Anyway, I'm not very interested in recovery, this RAID setup was purely for System, so only application install.
                      If the s/w is able to determine the disk setup, why is the on-board card failing ? I just want to avoid having to format and do an install all over again...

Comment

They MUST be plugged into the same ports, in the same disk order that they originally were for the RAID to be valid

Comment

Originally posted by a573573 View Post
                          They MUST be plugged into the same ports, in the same disk order that they originally were for the RAID to be valid
                          hmm, we'll they're plugged into the same ports are were to begin with, so I think somehow the RAID got corrupted.
                          I still can't believe the BIOS could have disturbed the RAID.
                          Maybe I'll run a surface scan to check the disks...

Comment

That's the problem, no one really knows what's going on in those kinda raid-bioses;

Seriously, do yourself a favour and ditch the raid 0, rather buy one of those 250-320 Gig/platter hard drives for ~60 Euros - those are very fast..and run them single in AHCI + native mode.
                            Especially as system drive you're asking for trouble, let alone imaging / recovering, plus let alone the higher failure risk..
                            GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                            i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                            Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                            Seasonic G-550

Comment

That's the problem, no one really knows what's going on in those kinda raid-bioses;

Seriously, do yourself a favour and ditch the raid 0, rather buy one of those 250-320 Gig/platter hard drives for ~60 Euros - those are very fast..and run them single in AHCI + native mode.
                              Especially as system drive you're asking for trouble, let alone imaging / recovering, plus let alone the higher failure risk..
                              Well I could do that, I still have 2 almost new 250GB SATAII Drives. But I thought I'll build a fast system using RAID 0 and since I wasn't planning to store any backup data on the RAID, just system and apps I wouldn't have to worry much about sudden loss...
                              I never anticipated that the RAID would just go off like this...
                              I think I'll have to rebuild anyway, i tried several settings, but it still doesn't recognise the disks as RAID members, now both are showing as Non member disks.
                              The only other thing I might try is to connect the drives to the Gigabyte SATA controller and see if it recognises them.
                              If that doesn't work, format, individually and do a surface test...
                              May upgrade the BIOS while I'm at it anyway... know what's the best/stable version of the BIOS ? is f7 stable now ?

Comment

Working...
                              X