Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to enter BIOS using GB RAID on GA-X38-DQ6 F7 BIOS

Hi All,
    I recently upgraded the BIOS to F7 on my Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 board.
    After I upgraded, I entered the BIOS changed a few settings and rebooted, did some temperature tests... all fine.
    I thought I'll give a try to the Gigabyte RAID after having an issue with the Intel RAID last time, so I switched on the RAID mode and configured the disks to RAID 0, installed the OS, all fine, but I'm not able to enter the BIOS anymore !
    When the system boots, the first screen I see is the AHCI detection followed by the Gigabyte RAID detection, then directly to the device listing, DMI and then Windows !
    I had disabled the full screen logo earlier so I could see the CPU and mem numbers, but I'm no longer able to see that screen.

Is this a known issue with F7 ?

Another issue is the CPU fan running at full, but I did see a thread on that, I'm using a controller to slowdown the speed.
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Re: Unable to enter BIOS using GB RAID on GA-X38-DQ6 F7 BIOS

You cannot use RAID and AHCI at the same time. So clear the CMOS and start over enabling RAID but not AHCI. You will not need to reinstall the OS, just reset all your other BIOS options again is all

I use the Gigabyte Controller, and have tested both, you made a wise decision

As for fan control, I suggest one of these, I have 2 on different PC's and love them(Control 4 fans or more via dials, and 2 X 5/12V switches as well)>>>>>

Item
    Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999251
    Review
    Code:
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1373
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      You cannot use RAID and AHCI at the same time. So clear the CMOS and start over enabling RAID but not AHCI.
      Meaning ???
      I've set the ICH9R status to AHCI as I want sata to work in native and the Gugabyte to RAID mode as my disks are RAID as follows:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - [AHCI]
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode - [Enabled]
      Onboard SATA/IDE Device - [Enabled]
      Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - [RAID/IDE]

Will this not work ? They are settings or 2 different controllers, the first is for ICH9R and the last 2 are for Gigabyte, wouldn't they work independently of each ?

I'm able to use the system, it's just that I can't get into the BIOS screen...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Ahh, yes I guess I overlooked what you really asked and stated...Sorry

You could try disabling the AHCI and see if that is what is causing you not to be able to get into the BIOS. That is all I can think of that may help.

Hitting Delete constantly on reboot wont even get you in?

Comment

Ahh, yes I guess I overlooked what you really asked and stated...Sorry

You could try disabling the AHCI and see if that is what is causing you not to be able to get into the BIOS. That is all I can think of that may help.

Hitting Delete constantly on reboot wont even get you in?

Woo hoo... I finally got in... I thought before resetting the BIOS i'd try.. after around 1000 attempts, It finally went into the BIOS.
          I didn't change the AHCI yet, but managed to set my RAM timings faster.
          While going through Advanced BIOS settings I saw the "Password check" option and I got an idea (maybe the issue is related to my USB keyb initialisation), I changed this option to setup so that it asks for a password each time the system starts. Thinking that that would delay the startup a bit, maybe long enough for it to init my USB keyb and make the del key work... well it does, I'm now able to get into the BIOS everytime...

Comment

Great to hear that! Now...Dont play around to much in one night!

Comment

but.. but... I wanna play :)
              besides night hasn't even begun in this part of the world...

Now for some bench tests, have to get those temps down... My mobo idles at around 50!

Comment

OUCH! That is hot...

Do you redo the Heatpipes Paste when you get your boards? I always do, and I add extra PWM/VRM heatsinks on all the uncovered mosfets as well

Hey, you should try to get you one of those controller above, they are nice. $29 here in the US, dont know about where you are, but I could always get one shipped to you if you couldnt get one ordered. But you would have to send me the extra shipping and all of that, but surely you can find one if you wanted one.

Just letting you know how nice they are is all!

Comment

OUCH! That is hot...

Do you redo the Heatpipes Paste when you get your boards? I always do, and I add extra PWM/VRM heatsinks on all the uncovered mosfets as well

Hey, you should try to get you one of those controller above, they are nice. $29 here in the US, dont know about where you are, but I could always get one shipped to you if you couldnt get one ordered. But you would have to send me the extra shipping and all of that, but surely you can find one if you wanted one.

Just letting you know how nice they are is all!
                  Nope, I haven't done that yet... I was planning to do a few changes in the BIOS first when my RAID ICH9R failed, now I'm back up, using Gigabyte RAID. The first thing to do is probably move my system to the side of my desk rather than under it, I guess that should clear up some airflow issues I'm suspecting. Then I'll adjust the intake fan at the front and see if it makes any change.
                  Last resort, lift the chipset cooler, clean it and apply paste.

Comment

Yeah, I always do on all my boards.....Before I even put a cpu on the board. Right out of the boxes to my work bench.

Ya, I keep my pc I use most on top of my desk, but it looks very cool is probably why! HAHA

Comment

Yeah, I always do on all my boards.....Before I even put a cpu on the board. Right out of the boxes to my work bench.

Ya, I keep my pc I use most on top of my desk, but it looks very cool is probably why! HAHA
                      Well I can't keep mine on the desk for 2 reasons...
                      - Kandalf is a massive tower, I'd look like a super geek next to it and that
                      big 24" LCD on the same desk :)
                      - I'm using a G25 racing wheel which has force feedback, (real "force")
                      I'm sure it'll toast the disk with the amount of feedback it gives to my table.

To avoid these, I kept if under the desk, but there is a partition half way down on the desk, which I feel could be deflecting hot exhaust air, as I could feel it on my feet earlier. Now I've moved the case to the side of my desk.

Comment

Ahh, yeah that is a BIG case! I was looking into some full towers myself, how do you like them over mid towers?

I have a Raidmax sagitta mid tower

Comment

Ahh, yeah that is a BIG case! I was looking into some full towers myself, how do you like them over mid towers?

I have a Raidmax sagitta mid tower
                          I like them better than mid size, in looks and for noise as well.
                          I think due to larger volume, system fans may run slower to cool to the same effect. But mids are great for carrying around and even for changing components, i've to be so carefull with the full sized tower as it's very heavy and if you drop it... don't even want to think what'll happen.....

Comment

So you think overall a system with a full tower (Same fans) would be cooler, and quieter? I could see cooler as the heat would be less compact, but how is it overall quieter?

Ya I wouldn't wanna drop my case in any type of tower!! That would suck for sure

Comment

So you think overall a system with a full tower (Same fans) would be cooler, and quieter? I could see cooler as the heat would be less compact, but how is it overall quieter?

Ya I wouldn't wanna drop my case in any type of tower!! That would suck for sure
                              Well quiter also due to large volume, if same volume of air goes through larger surface area, it will crreate less noise. This will be true for both out and inlets. Large cases Armour/kandalf have 8-9 free bays for inlet air, compare that with 5/6 available for a smaller one, air will create more noise passing through smaller area.

Comment

Working...
                              X