GA-EP35C-DS3R cant pass boot screen no keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35C-DS3R cant pass boot screen no keyboard

Hello everyone, i was trying to update bios on an older system, and i broke the motherboard, i ran to the store in a hurry to pick up a replacement, i got a GA-EP35C-DS3R, re installed all my components and had a strange problem. My machine boots but does not clear the welcome screen, so i unplugged everything, got my system down to just the ram processor and g card. Same problem, but the strange thing is when at the welcome screen i cant enter my bios by pressing delete on my keyboard, in fact no keys work either. The keyboard is a USB keyboard and im using a USB to PS2 converter. When the system boots, the lights on the keyboard flash like normal but then its unresponsive, is there anything that might be causing this?

I'm using a rev 2.1 and the shipped bios.

More information

2GB OCZ DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 CL 5-5-5-15 PLATINUM DUAL CHANNEL EL XTC (OCZ2P10002GK)

Intel E6850 3.0GHZ - Not using the shipped fan, a custom one, it does fire up though.

AMD X1800 XL Sapphire card

500W (i think) Antec with a 4-Pin and a 24-Pin connector

I dont think the motherboard is dead because i can use the CPU fan control to alter the fan speed, this is plugged into the motherboard. But i cant do anything else, cause i cant go into BIOS, and i dont know if the system passes post because im using an Antec 900 which doesn't have an internal speaker :S

Help would be very much appreciated, i've also tried with only one stick of RAM, and changing the RAM, different slots and clearing the CMOS a lot. The RAM isnt on the supported RAM list however i get a display and the system seems to boot ok so i think its not the RAM, but im not sure.

Re: GA-EP35C-DS3R cant pass boot screen no keyboard

Try enabling or disabling the "Legacy USB detect" in the bios and see if it finds your keyboard. If not try to find a normal non usb keyboard for now and see if that helps

Comment

unfortunatly i cant enable that setting, since i cant use my keyboard, im going to pop to a computer store today, maybe i can buy a small speaker, and also a keyboard, i'll post back when im done, thanks

Comment

Ya, sorry I guess I should have known that. Too bad you dont have a old one laying around. Ya you will have to pick one up from a friend or at the store.

Did you try it without the usb to ps2 converter?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Ya, sorry I guess I should have known that. Too bad you dont have a old one laying around. Ya you will have to pick one up from a friend or at the store.

Did you try it without the usb to ps2 converter?
          Yeah i tried it but the keyboard doesn't get any power, the three lights dont flash if i just plug in the USB connector.

I've just got home with a new keyboard and i've got the same problem, need to find a store in my town that sells case speakers.

Any other suggestion?

Comment

Ok, just got the little test speaker and i get the regular 1 beep post, anybody got any idea whats wrong :S

Comment

Well, 1 Long and 3 Short is the beep for keyboard error, you dont have a old case speaker around? Sounds like maybe the Keyboard PS2 plug is shorted out. Do you have anything routed behind the board?

Does it work outside the case?

Do you have a Different PS2 converter? Maybe it is bad itself, USB mouse is disabled by default so PS2 is gonna have to do it to begin with, Unless you can find someone with the same board to enable USB mouse in thier BIOS save it and send you that bios to flash to. That is all I can think of right now.

Ya know it could be your ram, really. Those boards default at 1.8 V if that ram wont do 1.8 starting up you may need lower rated ram. If you have any 1.8V ram I would try that. I just seen a similar users with the same issue here, it was the ram>>>
              Code:
              http://forum.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1373553

Comment

I thought it could be the ram, but everyone else seems to get no display or continuous restart with RAM problems, im gonna take it out of the case and try it again, then re seat the CPU. I've tried two keyboards, on ps/2 and one with the ps/2 adapter, and then without the adapter, i have one short beep indicating POST success >.< i dont have any other RAM unfortunetly so i might have to see if i can borrow a mates stick, he has the motherboard model down and his RAM works. I dont know the voltage rating on the RAM, and im not sure how to find out

Comment

ok, replacing the cpu didn't work im gonna take the motherboard back. see what happens :s

Comment

I bet it is the Ram, if it is this model, it is 2.1 default, and your board is 1.8

Code:
                    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85241
                    So you just need to find some or one 1.8 stick, or some other pc26400 type ram, most of those will default to 1.8 no matter their voltage settings
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

it is definetly
                      2GB OCZ DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 CL 5-5-5-15 PLATINUM DUAL CHANNEL EL XTC (OCZ2P10002GK)

My mate has a none ddr2/ddr3 version of this board that works, maybe his ram will work ok, i have no idea if im buying the right thing if i go into a computer store, but i'd probably be able to buy it and use it. I've got the new motherboard now i'll let you know what happens.

Comment

same problem with a replacement motherboard, in and out of the case :s i guess its either ram or processor now, i dont think failing a bios update could kill the processor so im gonna go buy a stick of generic ram, see what happens. ill let you know

Comment

It is most likely the ram, you just need some cheap, any speed ddr2 1.8V. Just ask fro some of that, any type will do and you can return it once you boot up your board and change the voltage that first time to match your ram. Which will be +.3 to equal 2.1V
                          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Comment

Well the DDR Voltage is increased to +0.3v and everything runs the only thing is my motherboard tells me i might reduce the life of my RAM how can this be possible if this is the default voltage?? I dont want to break it.

Thanks for all your help so far, the system is running again, just need to hook the rest of my stuff up :S

Also i've got a little cable coming out of my PSU with a end similar to the Processor fan's end, can i plug this into the pwr_fan on my motherboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X