Startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup

I have just tried to turn my computer on and i have just got a beep for about 3secs and then it turned off again. i think it is something to do with the bios and the fan. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do?

Information about your motherboard and main components would be helpful here, but a long beep normally means that the memory isn't seated properly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

ok, i am running an AMD 1ghz, with 768mb of memory (1 512mb dimm and 2 128mb dimms). The m/b is an Asus A7V. i have just tried it without any memory and it has given me a different beep code, a constent beeping, but as soon as i put one dimm back in i get the same beep as i had before.

Comment

I don't use the Asus boards, but either in the documentation or on their site, you should be able to get a listing of the error beep codes. I don't recall offhand what the long single beep indicates, but one of these sources should be able to help out.
        My Toys

Comment

no, it does not list it in the manual/handbook and i have read all 45 pages of faq's that they have on there website and they say nothing about beep codes

Comment

did you just buy the parts and put it together or were they already together and working beforehand?
            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

All beep codes are here http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/
              But it does look like the memory is where you'll have to look at though and that just maybe unpluggin' it and pluggin' it back in again or just start with 1 stick in and add the sticks 1 at a time to see if 1 is faulty. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

1 long beep = memory. Good to know that my brain hasn't fried yet. :D
                My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                  did you just buy the parts and put it together or were they already together and working beforehand?
                  I bought all the parts sepratly because i wanted to upgrade my pc to something better rather than having to buy a new pc. But it was all working about 2hrs before i put a post up, and in the time that i switched it off, and tried to turn it back on again it had developed this problem

Comment

I have had every dimm of memory out, and have put just one dimm back at a time and as soon as i put any1 of them back i get the long beep back. If i remove all the memory i just get one continious beep, beep, beep ect.

Comment

Working...
                    X