No announcement yet.

3D Mark Disappointment. Can I improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Mark Disappointment. Can I improve?

Last edited by TitusCicero; 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM.

Re: 3D Mark Disappointment. Can I improve?

does it really matter what score u get in 3dmark06??? its the real world games that u play which count the most!

OMGOSH, i got 10000 marks less than a computer with a 5GHZ core 2 extreme with 3 8800GT in tri-sli. my computer must be so crap...

i get lyk 900 3dmarks less...and my system has same components if not better,i think my comp is underperforming.

it could be random processes interfering in your benchmark.
    it ould be settins such as AA anf AF which are switched on without u knowing. this is relevent especially in un-registered versions of 3dmark06
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Originally posted by randomness View Post
      does it really matter what score u get in 3dmark06??? its the real world games that u play which count the most!

OMGOSH, i got 10000 marks less than a computer with a 5GHZ core 2 extreme with 3 8800GT in tri-sli. my computer must be so crap...

i get lyk 900 3dmarks less...and my system has same components if not better,i think my comp is underperforming.

it could be random processes interfering in your benchmark.
      it ould be settins such as AA anf AF which are switched on without u knowing. this is relevent especially in un-registered versions of 3dmark06
      lol...can you blame me? I just spent around $900usd upgrading my machine and would like to know why it's performing 1000 points less on a 3dbenchmark in comparison to like machines. Wow, just call me a consumer!

The board I chose scored top notch on TomHardware.com for best ddr3 board (for when I want to upgrade) and all the other hardware is good too.

You do have a point. I am not sure how relevant 3DMark is to real world applications. I know for a fact it bombed on my CPU cuz it didn't use all 4...but neither do the games for the most part. For the most part I am satisfied with the game performance, which is not to say that it couldn't be better. Which benchmarks do you suggest?

I didn't know the free 3dmark performed differently than the retail version? However if AA was turned on it would compare it to like tests with like machines when I checked the stats, right? So even if it was turned on I would still be wondering why my system scored less.

Someone on another board mentioned the ATA IDE drives I am using and suggested to get rid of the swap file since I have ample RAM. I just couldn't bring myself to upgrade to SATA yet. I got rid of the swapfile and will try out the performance soon when I get home. I am skeptical though if it will effect the 3DMark score.

Comment

I still dont think removing the swap file will be a good idea, since if you run out of RAM, which i know u definetly will, ur comp will crash due to insufficient ram. Unless u ahve around 8GB or >6GB then the swap file can be removed. but to be on the safe side leave it as it is, u CAN reduce the size of it to free up spce but thats about it.

Remember, other ppl who benchmark have different hardware to yours! in order to actually get those high level 3dmarks, you have to hav a very similar system, if not faster! OBviously, ur IDE hdd WILL hamper the speeds in wat ever benchmark which needs hdd input.

Well, wat do u mean by upgrade? was it a complete system overhaul with new case,mb,ram,cpu etc? or just upped some parts of ur system.
        Asrock P55-Extreme
        Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
        2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
        ASUS HD5850
        1TB Samsung SATA II
        Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Getting rid of the swapfile will not do anything except cause major problems with your OS. Whoever told you to remove it is a moron. I don't care if you have 16Gb of ram, there is no need or benefit for removing the swap file since Windows is designed to look for it anyways.

3D Mark 06 free version runs exactly the same as the pay version. The pay version just allows you to change settings.

Lastly, having a score only 1K lower is meaningless as well. There are so many factors as to how the scores can vary it is mind boggling. If you want a higher score, start tweaking and overclocking that thing. Running it stock will get you nowhere fast in 3D Mark scoring. There is nothing short of overclocking that is going to give you a dramatic increase in your score.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
          X