This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home Vs. Professional

I was considering upgrading from Win98SE to XP. After cruising through this part of the forum, I have given up that idea! But I was wondering if there is any worthwhile difference between the Home and professional version.

Thx JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

If you're considering dual processors, gotta have XP pro for one. The networking is more advanced in Pro.

I don't remember the whole thing, but there's some items in Pro meant for business that would be a big consideration.

If this is just a gaming rig, probably can get away with Home. Pro would not be a bad choice if you have the cash or can get some sort of student discount.

Comment

Something to consider is the networking capabilities - XP Home can only peer to peer network to 5 PC's in total. XP Pro can do 10 peer to peer, unlimited if connected to a server.

Comment

I would be using the system for home use. Primarily gaming and such. No dual processors. Also, don't see myself going over 5 rigs. Only working on #3. M$ will probably have a new OS by the time I get to #5 :laugh: . It sounds like I could just go with the Home Edition, if I ever go into a fit of insanity and buy XP. If I did go with the Prof Edition, would there be a lot of extra stuff that would just be annoying or is it pretty configurable? With all the problems everyone seems to be having with it, it's amazing that so many people think it's so great. :rolleyes2 Oh well to each his own.

Thx JM :afro:

Comment

XP pro doesn't have any extra stuff that clogs up your system or makes it different, the main difference is in the network functionality and dual processor support. You'll proably be wasting money getting Pro, stick with Home.

I think the main issue ppl have with XP is software and hardware compatibility. The older the software/hardware, the less likely it is to work properly. eg most older CDR and antivirus progs won't run on XP, as well as alot of older scanners and multifunction printers.

Comment

Old as in a couple years? Or old as in DOS based? :eek:

JM :afro:

Comment

The XP CD has a compatability test on it so ya can check both software and hardware before updating your existing os and will report any probs. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ahhh, Wiggo to the rescue. :laugh: Thanks, Dude. For now I am still resisting the Dark side, but its good info. I am gonna wait and see how the new service pack is recieved when it is released to the general public.

Thx
                JM :afro:

Comment

Comment

Re: XP Home Vs. Professional

Your friend and you should learn how to read post dates. Thread locked.

Comment

Working...
                    X