Which GFX card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which GFX card?

Sup guys, I'm building a budget gaming rig. I wanted it to be AMD/ATI based. I have most of what I need and now need to get a gfx card. I heard that AMD processors and ATI cards work best together. I was going to get a 3870, but I got here and read about the Zotac cards. The 3870s are rather expensive. I think these card may outperform it. Should I go for the 8800 GTS 640MB? I'm making a budget machine, so it does have to be a beast card.

Re: Which GFX card?

I think it's pretty hard to go wrong now days. I personally use Nvidia and have been for a little while, but as I said you can't really go wrong with either AMD/ATI or Nvidia cards. Nvidia cards should work fine in any AMD system, it's just an AMD system will mostly these days only accept crossfire I believe, so if you want multiple cards one day chances are you'd best look into ATI cards, although I'm not certain SLI and AMD don't go together anymore.

8800GTS 640MB would be a decent buy although I think the real winne right now for value is the 9600GT. I'm not sure on the prices exactly but I think they're in the same sort of range. Not too sure about what ATI/AMD offer in the same range.

Comment

Either the 8800GT or the 9600GT should be the only 2 cards you are looking at for a budget card.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
        Either the 8800GT or the 9600GT should be the only 2 cards you are looking at for a budget card.
        /agree, bang for buck the 8800 GT can not be beaten. Debate about the 9600 GT vs 8800 GT have been prominent since the 9xxx series release. I find my 8800 gt can play most new release games on medium/high settings without issues.

Comment

How things have changed in such a short time. It makes no rational sense at all to buy anything less than the HD4850 now. It will simply mop the floor with any lesser card for nearly the same money.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
          X