Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Thermal Compound

Hey,
    I recently installed a Volcano 7+ using Arctic Silver II. And when I was applying the thermal compound I managed to get some on the sides of the core and around the core slightly... a lot of it I didn't want to attempt to get off because I would ruin the nice flat layer I had going on the core : ).

Does anyone know for sure if any thermal compound on the ceramic can damage the processor? Maybe heat travelling down the compound. Probably not plausible, but maybe possible.

Btw, anyone know if Soltek boards give inflated temps? I get about 37C-40 idle, on an XP 1800+. Mind you I don't have an intake fan in the case either...

A dab of Arctic Silver on the processor won't hurt anything, unless you get it far enough out to start covering the bridges of the chip. Other than that, you're fine.

As to the temperatures, they're probably pretty close. If you were to throw a couple of fans into the mix, you'd more than likely see some pretty dramatic improvements in your temperture. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yeah, and as to applying it, the thinner the layer, the better the thermal transfer will be...

Comment

I know a few dabs are alright... and I didn't get any on the traces/bridges. What I'm worried about is if I happened to have some on the side of the core, so the heat may be distributed down to the ceramic. What is the heat tolerance of the ceramic? Is there any concern here?

Comment

Small amounts down the side of the core won't hurt. :smokin:

Comment

I got some smeared around the sides, etc. Any way to get it off safely? The stuff has turned into a sticky mess...

Comment

Rubbing alcohol is enough to get it off with. :smokin:

Comment

Doesn't matter what the alcohol touches? No harm no foul?

Comment

It evapourates fairly quickly but do make sure it has before powering up again. :smokin:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yesterday, i removed my AMD from its socket. I removed all the excessive Artic Silver i Smeared everywhere; what a mess!. Then i applied just a small amount and inserted my CPU back. Then i went ahead and modded my case's side panel and added two 80mm fans and rearranged some wires around. Lemme tell you that tempeatures cooled down 20 degrees!. Yes 20 degrees Celsius...i didn't think that it would be that drastic of a change but you guys were right about good airflow. Thx i'm just letting you guys know it worked. I was doing 51 to 56C now i am doing 32 to 37 C...badass.:thumb:
                    - Damien

Comment

That's quite a drastic improvement:eek:
                      Well done Flaco!!!
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yes i know d00d...i was surprised my self...and thanx: peace2:
                        - Damien

Comment

Careful Flaco -- you might catch the teakin' bug. Once you get it, it can't be cured:thumb:
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I think its too late ...its toooo late...
                            - Damien

Comment

Yes unless those cases can breath adequate amounts of fresh air and not too much hs grease being used then high temps will not be help by even the best HSF's.
                              Good to see that the bug bit ya Flaco. :thumb:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X