PDA

View Full Version : Speed Switch on Volcano 7+

FLaCo
05-29-2002, 07:48 PM
I just got my Volcano 7+ but i dunno where to keep the speed selection switch. Where did you guys put yours?:) Thanks

Wiggo
05-29-2002, 07:53 PM
I usually leave it on Medium unless I need the noise. ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer:

m-kong
05-29-2002, 08:42 PM
yeah same here wiggo.
Flaco, i believe that the low setting is a little too low. Remember the faster the fan rotates the less it is going to live :D
Keep it on the medium setting it should be right.

FLaCo
05-30-2002, 12:59 AM
That is what i was thinking to keep it on medium. Hey, how about the controller itself?...where do you place it or do you switch the speed then disconnect it?:) Thanks again guys

Stygian
05-30-2002, 05:00 AM
I believe my processor runs cooler even on Medium than it does on High. Blowing less hot air back down onto the heatsink perhaps.

Wiggo
05-30-2002, 08:24 AM
[b]I believe my processor runs cooler even on Medium than it does on High. Blowing less hot air back down onto the heatsink perhaps
If that's the case then your case needs some better ventilation. :smokin:

[b]Hey, how about the controller itself?...where do you place it or do you switch the speed then disconnect it?
Many cases have extra pushouts on the back for other O/I connectors and I use these to mount the switch. :devil:
<center>:cheers:</center>

fritzman
05-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Yep... I grabbed one of the push-outs for the old AT-Mouse sized socket, and got out the drill, enlarging the screw-holes already in the case a little at each end.....Bob's your Uncle (and it also keeps the cables nicely out of the way, cause you can attach them to the back end of your case):thumb:

ruff97
06-05-2002, 12:27 AM
what about the controller itself? can you switch to the speed u want then disconnect it. :rolleyes:

daedalus
06-05-2002, 07:22 AM
No i don't think so :rolleyes2

Wiggo
06-05-2002, 08:39 AM
ruff97[/size]]
what about the controller itself? can you switch to the speed u want then disconnect it. :rolleyes:
No chance in the world.

ruff97
06-05-2002, 09:13 AM
so no one try or no u can't do it. i would try but i have not get my yet...... :rolleyes:

Wiggo
06-05-2002, 09:34 AM
The switch is needed to maintain setting chosen as without it its just full speed. :devil:

Darthtanion
06-05-2002, 01:38 PM
What you are suggesting won't work. The main power supply line comes from the fan mounted atop the heatsink. This then hooks into the mini fanbus that is supplied with it. This is how it allows you to adjust the fan speed. If you cut it out of the system, then you are cutting the power to the fan. And if you just don't use it, then you get nothing but the fastest speed for the fan, and this pretty much defeats the purpose of even having it, doesn't it?

ruff97
06-05-2002, 11:10 PM
thx. :thumb:

FLaCo
06-07-2002, 11:42 AM
My speed switch is on the floor of the case...i barely change it...the HiGH selection is really not too loud...I've noticed tho that when shutdown and turn of my computer...my room gets soooo quiet.:bounce:

Jeremy1482
06-09-2002, 01:11 AM
i just use this

FLaCo
06-09-2002, 01:16 AM
GEE WILIKERS!!!! :eek: :bounce: that is smart and looks decent..the only thing is that it takes a slot a way huh? Its cool regardless it look like something Thermal Take made.:thumb: Good Job

ruff97
06-09-2002, 07:57 AM
hey Jeremy1482 where did u get it!!! and how mush is it ?:bounce2:

Wiggo
06-09-2002, 10:56 AM
That would be very easy make. :smokin:

Darthtanion
06-09-2002, 11:29 AM
It's another one of those new Thermaltake toys, so I'm not sure if it's out yet. You'll want to look for P/N A1268. :)

Jeremy1482
06-10-2002, 02:46 AM
i got it from pccasegear.com oy was about $20 aus . it come as a whole unit so if u dont have the 7+ u can use with almost any other Cpu fam:cheers: :cheers:

outvit
06-10-2002, 08:12 AM
I just got my Volcano 7+ but i dunno where to keep the speed selection switch. Where did you guys put yours?:) Thanks

I always leave it on medium Flaco... Its the best setting in my opinion... it does not make too much noise yet it does a better job cooling my cpu than low does. Its basicly the only setting it should ever run at unless you are a quiet PC freak (low setting) or you are a gaming freak (high setting).

ruff97
06-11-2002, 09:05 AM
hey guy i just get my Volcano 7+ in the mail:cheers: but the temp i an get from my cpu is 47C:( and i have it at top speed.:shoot3: what up can so one tell me is this to hot the temp in the room is at 25c(77F):devil win

outvit
06-11-2002, 09:19 AM
hey guy i just get my Volcano 7+ in the mail:cheers: but the temp i an get from my cpu is 47C:( and i have it at top speed.:shoot3: what up can so one tell me is this to hot the temp in the room is at 25c(77F):devil win

Woah, maybe your having the same problem the TweakTown staff had when they first reviewed the Volcano 7. I use this fan and I love it...

FLaCo
06-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Outvit how the heck do you get Temps like that i get 51-56 on top speed!...Maybe it was wiggo is saying, about how it reading the capacitor temp and not the actual core.... but man 27 wtf ! HOW! :cantfocus

Darthtanion
06-11-2002, 01:00 PM
outvit,
The problem that I had with the original Volcano 7 HSF was that the thermistor wouldn't allow the fan to hit top speed since it decided for itself what the RPM rates should be. The Volcano 7+ that ruff has doesn't have this problem since it allows you to set the fan speed manually.

ruff,
There are a lot of things that could cause the temperatures to still be high. But the first thing that I'd like to know is what are you using to monitor the temperatures? If it's something along the lines of Asus Probe, then I would be highly suspect of any results garnered. If it's from a more reliable software application or a thermal probe, then the first thing that I'd look at is case cooling. Pull the side off your case and run it during some gaming activites. If there is a significant difference in temperatures, then you need to either get better or more case cooling. If this doesn't apply to you, then let me know what we're dealing with and I'll see if we can get your temperatures down a bit. :)

ruff97
06-11-2002, 01:09 PM
if i put the V7+ at Medium speed i get the temp at 49C. so should i put it back at high... and if i put it at high i get a temp 45C and full load 47C.. so is it ok for me to keep it at high all the time or should i keep it at med.....:confused: :confused:

ruff97
06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
in Win XP i an use the software MBM 5 but in the bois i get the some temp....

they is 6 case fan two in the front of the case flow air out, two in the back flow air out one on the side flow air in and one on the power supply flow air in..

FLaCo
06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
I would like my temps to be a 47 or 49...i have them at 50 or so...i am good make my case a cyclone watch!

Wiggo
06-11-2002, 01:20 PM
ruff97[/size]]
in Win XP i an use the software MBM 5 but in the bois i get the some temp....

they is 6 case fan two in the front of the case flow air out, two in the back flow air out one on the side flow air in and one on the power supply flow air in..
What motherboard are ya usin'?
Also those front fans should be suckin' cool air into the case not suckin' air out. :smokin:

FLaCo
06-11-2002, 01:22 PM
YOu got make an AIRFLOW...as consistant as possible so cool air in through the front and hot air out from the back just like a cars Intake Air System and its Exhuast System. : peace2:

ruff97
06-11-2002, 01:26 PM
i an use Epox 8k3a+

the reson i have it suckin air out is becase i have 5 hard drive they and i want the air to go out of the case but later i will try it. suckin air in, and see what temp i get

Darthtanion
06-11-2002, 01:35 PM
The best way to set up the airflow is to have cool air being sucked in from the lower/front of the case. Then have your exhaust at the upper/rear portion of the case. This natural airflow will allow heated (rising) air to exhaust while the cool air (heavier) keeps the hot-spots in your case to a minimum. Even with hard drives, you want cool air flowing over them, not trying to suck away the heat.

Also, what kind of CFM ratings and sizes do you have on all those fans?

FLaCo
06-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Yea give it a try ...i mean have fun with it and experiment. It makes sense tho..you do need cool air...why don't you look into...HD coolers...I own two from Vantec an work like a charm. They get attached on the bottom of the HD like heatsink an have two small fans.

ruff97
06-11-2002, 01:42 PM
i will change it and the fan site are 70,70,70,70 90 and on the ps is a 60

outvit
06-11-2002, 10:20 PM
i will change it and the fan site are 70,70,70,70 90 and on the ps is a 60

A problem that we may have forgotten is check to see if you have enough thermal compound in there...

ruff97
06-11-2002, 11:27 PM
just enough.

outvit
06-12-2002, 05:10 AM
just enough.

A trick I use is I will use a credit-card or ATM card to spread the compound... That gives a nice solid coat that is not too thick but pretty much perfect way to apply it.

ruff97
06-12-2002, 07:40 AM
then is what i do toooooooooooooooooo :cheers:

outvit
06-12-2002, 08:09 AM
then is what i do toooooooooooooooooo :cheers:

Bah, you copy-cat ruff97. :shoot: Ruff97

...Hehe lets all drink some beer. :D :beer: :beer: :cheers: :beer: :beer:

ruff97
06-12-2002, 10:17 AM
: party ha : party ha : party ha

:knife: outvit :knife:

:cheers:

FLaCo
06-12-2002, 10:21 AM
I never thought this thread i started would get so many posts!...it started with a simple question...:laugh:

Wiggo
06-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Happens often enough around here. :devil:

FLaCo
06-12-2002, 12:37 PM
"I see" ...said, the blind man to the deaf dog...

samyamaha
06-25-2002, 01:37 AM
My speed switch is on the floor of the case...i barely change it...the HiGH selection is really not too loud...I've noticed tho that when shutdown and turn of my computer...my room gets soooo quiet.:bounce:

What is the best result you ever have for your O/C CPU XP2000++

FLaCo
06-25-2002, 01:55 AM
I'm doing stock speed right now (1.670); but, the highest i've tried... before windows stops booting is 1.750 GHz (not much)...now that i got my case and Cpu temps lower i will try for a much higher overclock. : peace2:

Darthtanion
06-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Unlock the processor, lower the multiplier and crank up the FSB. You should be flying high in no time at all. :)

FLaCo
06-25-2002, 10:35 AM
i busted out with a 1.815 ...i am going to give a 1850 tomorrow: peace2: too lazy to do it now..
:king:

altangerel20
07-01-2002, 06:02 AM
if i were to get TT volcano 7+ how would i install it. thanks

Wiggo
07-01-2002, 06:31 AM
Just the same as a normal HSF but here is AMD words on how it's done, http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23986.pdf , just remember that the 7+ is just bigger and heavier than what they use in that guide. :smokin:

Darthtanion
07-01-2002, 07:20 AM
Installing a heatsink is a matter of simplicity. Here's a quick step by step that has worked for me through countless heatsink reviews. It assumes that you have already removed and cleaned the processor from the motherboard.

- Making sure that the processor is clean, apply a thin, SMOOTH layer of a good thermal interface material (Arctic Silver is a good choice);

- Install the processor into the Socket and engage the lever;

- With the heatsink at a slight angle to the processor, set the back lug (away from the Socket lever pivot point) of the sink onto the Socket lug;

- Rock the heatsink straight down onto the processor core making sure not to move it from side to side;

- With the blade of a screwdriver, set the front clip of the heatsink onto the Socket lug.

That's all there is to it. I have done a lot of testing on different heatsinks and this method has always worked for me. It ensures a solid fitting of the sink to the core and also minimizes the pressure needed to install the front clipping mechanism. This makes it unlikely in the extreme that you will do any damage to the tender processor core. :)

outvit
07-01-2002, 09:15 AM
A lot of the problems I have heard of with using this cooling system is people dont like to assemble it... People like the pre-assembled coolers so all they have to do is stick it on and plug it in.

The installation and assembly is a simplemans task to say the least. While there is no 1-4 step process it is clearly illustrated for you. :)

SegiY
07-03-2002, 11:55 AM
when the fan dies on a volcano 7+ is it possiable to whack any 7cm fan on? (within reason)

Wiggo
07-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Yes the places I buy the HSF's from also stock the fans as well. :smokin:

FLaCo
07-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Your fan already died and you haven't even recieved the package yet?...LOL...: peace2:

Darthtanion
07-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Just make sure and compare the power draw on the new fan to the maximum that can be handled by the little mini-rheobus.

SegiY
07-03-2002, 12:31 PM
I was simply planning ahead :p
I wonder would the new Y.S.Tech fans fit? have they released the cfm rating for them yet?

Wiggo
07-03-2002, 01:22 PM
I can't see any reason why those new Y.S.Tech 70mm fans wouldn't fit if need be though their cfm rating is around the mid 30's atm. :smokin:

fritzman
07-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Anyone know if you can get a 92mm to 70mm fan converter???

Wiggo
07-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Not that I know and probably for the reason that 70mm fans have not been around long and there are not sufficent enough numbers of them. :smokin:

chisholm
07-03-2002, 08:58 PM
yea i don't know y TT didn't design the 7+ for 80mm fans...it would have even better performance....especially with a 80cmf delta lol

oh yea btw intel P4 stock coolers use them as well don;t they?

Wiggo
07-04-2002, 07:51 AM
They didn't use the 80mm fan as it makes it that much harder to clip down / release, try a Volcano 7 and you'll soon find out. :smokin:

SegiY
07-04-2002, 08:22 AM
I agree with Wiggo, i'm currentlly running a lump of a Heat-sink known as a "Tornado" and it spraws out making you go at all funny angles to get it on.

zeradul
07-04-2002, 12:05 PM
If you have access to a sheet metal shop, it wouldn't be too hard to modify a 80 - 92 adapter.

chisholm
07-04-2002, 05:25 PM
yea but from everything i've herd fan adaptors are bad cos the fan blowing into it loses lots of air pressure and teh performance drops...am i wrong?:cheers:

zeradul
07-06-2002, 06:19 AM
I doubt very much that many situations would cause airflow to be hampered too much. remember, all fans have 'motor' areas, which blow no air, all an adapter does is re-direct the stream of air, which may limit the cfm of the fan a BIT, but not substantially enough to be a problem. And I passed Engineering Fluid Mechanics! (despite how arcane)

fritzman
07-06-2002, 07:54 AM
So if I can fit a 92cm fan on my Volcano 7+, it is likely to be both quieter and more efficient???

System temps 24 degrees & cpu temp 42 degrees (with fan on high).... Installing rounded cables and more fans next week. (currently only two exhaust) so hopefully that will help as well.

pcmkr
07-06-2002, 08:56 AM
It would move more air because of the bigger fanblades and also be quieter because the fan can run at a lower rpm to move the same amount of air.:cool: :shoot:

pcmkr
07-06-2002, 08:59 AM
So if I can fit a 92cm fan on my Volcano 7+, it is likely to be both quieter and more efficient???

System temps 24 degrees & cpu temp 42 degrees (with fan on high).... Installing rounded cables and more fans next week. (currently only two exhaust) so hopefully that will help as well.

Got any intake fans?

Wiggo
07-06-2002, 09:21 AM
fritzman[/size]]

Go read some reviews on fan adaptors and you'll find that efficientcy drops with then due to airflow obstructions and air pressure buildup within the funnel.
Also don't compare P4 temps with that of Athlons as P4's run hotter and that's a fact. Where with Athlons it's good to keep below 50c, P4's are good so long as you keep them below 65c. The temps you'd get with the fan on medium would still be well in the good temp range so don't sweat it. :smokin:

zeradul
07-06-2002, 02:04 PM
you'll find that efficiency drops...

...with then due to airflow obstructions and air pressure buildup within the funnel.
Consider the writers of those articles Wiggo. The are referring to the absolute maximum overclocking situations possible with air cooling. What they are saying that if you replace a very high RPM 70 mm, with an equal CFM 80mm, that efficiency will drop, slightly. And it will, but only noticeable to those craving another OC increment.

Now for the second part of that quote, of course air pressure builds up, you are compressing the stream of air to match a smaller diameter. And what happens when air pressure increases? It accelerates, (assuming the force (fan) is not overly weak. The acceleration is taken, but the friction involved lowers the fan's total CFM slightly.

Punchline: As long as you select a fan that can hold its own, (3,000 RPM +) you certainly will not see a decrease in heat sink performance. I am not joking about Fluid Mechanics, and don't mistake, air IS a fluid.

Wiggo
07-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Actually most were talkin' normal specs but the main talkin' point was about flat surfaces within the funnel, which are used for mounting, reflecting the airflow back at itself and hindering the flow. Good if you can get one without those flat surfaces but almost all have them and the efficientcy drops dramatically because of them as the airflow has to fight itself (turbulence) to get thru. I have not seen one review that states other wise and all wind up with higher temps though they do have reduced noise. Plus ya won't convince me otherwise. :smokin:

Darthtanion
07-06-2002, 03:16 PM
The word here is turbulence. And the faster you get your larger fan moving, the greater the turbulence you'll be creating. Just something to think about in your computations.

Oh... and air is a gas. Though there are some fluid qualities in it due to it's chemical composition, it remains gaseous when in it's normal form. ;)

zeradul
07-07-2002, 01:54 AM
For all practical purposes, there are 3 states of matter. They are, Solid, Liquid, and Gas. The word fluid is not a state of matter, it is primarily used as an adjective to describe the properties of matter.

Fluid: adj 1. having particles that easily move and change their relative position and easily yield to pressure: capable of flowing.

Secondary definition of Fluid, when used as a noun:
Fluid: n : a substance (as a liquid or a gas) tending to flow or conform to the outline of its container

Those are copied directly out of Webster's 9th New Collegiate dictionary. By all means, look it up for yourself.

--------
As for the 'flat spots' wiggo refers to, I have not owned one, so I had assumed that trusted manufacturing techniques were used in their construction. My comments are based on an adapter than simply adapts a larger diameter hole to a smaller one, like a funnel. The idea would be perfectly functional without the alleged 'flat spot' flaw.

chisholm
07-07-2002, 08:32 AM
speaking of fan efficiensy....has anyone herd much about the Y.S tech TMD fans? i hope they release an 80mm version that can compete with the delta and hopefully be a bit quieter as well:cheers:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-07-2002, 04:04 PM
What about the standard volcano 7? Does it have a switch? Or does it automatically toggle with high and low speed fan.....would I be able to have the fan at 5000 RPM all the time? I currently have a WBK38 the thing spins at 7000RPM very loud but only moves 38CFM of air........5000CFM would be very quiet and move 58CFM of air I wanna get a standard volcano 7

Wiggo
07-07-2002, 04:19 PM
The Volcano 7 uses a heat sensor to adjust the speed of the fan though this can be modded to bring the sensor into contact with the heatsink itself or taken off completely though I'd prefer to go with the 7+ version myself. :smokin:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
07-07-2002, 04:24 PM
What be the speed of the fan if I unplug the sensor?

chisholm
07-07-2002, 05:42 PM
errr i don;t think u can unplug the sensor....can u ?

Wiggo
07-08-2002, 02:41 AM
ReSpAwN DeMoN[/size]]
What be the speed of the fan if I unplug the sensor?
You can cut it it off and join the wires together and that will just give you a full speed fan. :smokin:

SegiY
07-08-2002, 10:16 AM
you would want to test that theory before putting it to work

Wiggo
07-08-2002, 10:25 AM
There are quite a few modding guides around on doing this and relocating the sensor to contact the heatsink plus a few m8's of mine have done both, all successfully. :smokin:

chisholm
07-08-2002, 05:51 PM
well i wanto do the same thng in my antec PSU but i dun wanna risk it unless i;m sure it will work cos opening it voids warranty:D