here are the 2 ram chips in question

512MB Hi Perf LEVEL 2 2100 222* on sale! $ 199
    and

512MB PC3000 DDR SDRAM $ 161
    PC3000 = 366MHz FSB
    Unbuffered, 6-Layer PCB
    Rated 2.5-3-3
    Compatibility tests pending

Would you think the pc3000 would do 2-2-2 @ 266mhz (ddr)?

How much performance gain would a person would be able to obtain taking the pc2100 over the pc3000 (the 2 chips above) running at the rated settings

wait... 1 more question.
    I hear Muskin is good and I also heard people say that just cause it is rated @ 2-3-3 doesn't mean it wont do 2-2-2. What do think chances are that I would get a chip that would do ok with the most aggresive settings?

I've found that any Name brand memory that is specified higher than PC2100 (PC2700,3000,3200) will run at 2-2-2 timings at 133MHz (266MHZ DDR). Oh and OCZ memory in my books is not Name brand. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
      I've found that any Name brand memory that is specified higher than PC2100 (PC2700,3000,3200) will run at 2-2-2 timings at 133MHz (266MHZ DDR).

I've had a few sticks of Kingmax PC2400 that failed to run at 2-2-2 timings at 133MHz :(
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

i had 2700 before i got 3200 and the 2700 would not do 2-2-2:(

but when i got 3200 it will do 2-2-2 very easy at 166:)

Comment

At $199 you're staring to get in the range of some pretty good memory above PC2100. For example Cosair CMX512-3000C2 512MB DDR ships at $195 from Newegg. You pick your brand but I think there are better buys than you noted. Did you take a look at http://www.pricewatch.com/?

I'm running 266 2-2-2 on both my Cosair (see signature below) and OCZ PC2700 on another machine. Did tweak up the Vdimm 0.1v on one machine and 0.2v on the other above their 2.5v default.

Good luck whatever you do.

Comment

is the Cosair good/really good?
            i was about to buy:
            DDR-DIMM 256meg CORSAIR XMS2700 DDR333 eXtreme Memory Speed
            Is it worth the extra for XMS?

Comment

Yes the Corsair XMS range is really worth the extra $'s for high FSB speeds and retaining aggressive timings.
              I've built three unlocked XP1800+ setup's for ppl lately on EPoX 8K3A/+ boards that are running XMS3000/3200 at which the memory is running at speeds of 200MHz+ with memory timings that are extremely aggressive while the CPU's are running 166MHz+ FSB's. :thumb:
              I can't wait for PC No.5 to come along. :devil:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I have heard Cosair XMS Series is real good (not the Cosiar Value Select); but, with those prices i think i'll stick to my Samsungs...: peace2:

EDIT: WiGGo how did you post in front of me....? lol
                - Damien

Comment

after seeing countless number of samsung products die, i think i'll get the better stuff.

Comment

yea corsiar is definantely the way to go....i'm about to get 512 of corsair xms3200...for 320 bucks AUD at www.zonecomputing.com.au :D

Comment

FINALLY got my ram got a special deal on it seings ram went up
                      It was accedently ordera month or 2 ago
                      256MB of XMS300 Corsair @ $195
                      And from within TAS!!!
                      The place i got it off is advertising it for $263 in the same week as i brought it :D

Comment

good stuff:thumb:

Comment

:) Everytime I read about Aussie prices, I'm glad to be in the US. :geek:

Comment

Dr. Peter, you should go read up on how exchange rates work. Their prices are only higher, because they earn more of their dollars... BUT their dollars are only worth half as much (as US Dollars), so it all comes out in the wash.

The only difference in situation is that they have to import everything, which adds a dollar or so per pound of item weight. That and Britian might still be taxing them heavily. (are they, guys?)

Comment

They bloody well better not be.

Comment

Working...
                              X