No announcement yet.

Thermal Paste question- need answer asap! Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Paste question- need answer asap! Please!

:flames: Thanks to all who reply. I was wondering, I have a P4 CPU and just bought a new heat sink and fan (P4Dragon 478) which has the plastic clip, should I use thermal paste with it? I was thinking yes, but a friend of mine said it wasn't necessary, due to the clip. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Saltjunkie77

You should always use thermal paste to avoid damage and for better thermal transfer and never let your friend near your PC. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thank you Wiggo!!!

Comment

Wait, what if it has the thermal interface material on it?

Comment

You can remove it.
          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

To set the record straight here, you should ALWAYS use a good quality thermal compound when mounting a heatsink. If there is leftover compound from a previous fan, then clean it off and put on a fresh coating. And if there is a tape-like substance on the heatsink when you get it, then you should TAKE IT OFF IMMEDIATELY! This stuff is commonly referred to as "frag tape" and it generally sucks. Heatsink manufacturers put it on because of this lawsuit happy time that we currently live in. Scrape it off and then spread a thin coating of some good stuff.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Working...
            X