RAM problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM problems

I just bought a new stick of PC2100 DDR RAM to add to my existing 256. I put it in, and start up my computer. First the memory check sshows I only have like 168 MB of RAM. Then It starts loading Win 2k, gets past the start up screen with the white bar at the bottom, but then just sits there at the next one. WTF is going on? Here's my system

Abit KG7 MB
    Win 2k w/Service Pack 2
    VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 MB
    SB Live! Value
    Zoom External modem
    256 BM PC2100 DDR RAM

Anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes when adding memory ya have to clear the CMOS but also try reseating the memory again. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Here's what I've tried so far:

reseating memory
      switching both sticks
      resetting cmos
      booting with only the new RAM

All lead to the same problem. Memory Check is actually only showing I have 16 MB of RAM, and it gets stuck on the Win2k screen with the blue progress bar at the bottom. Does this sound like a defective stick or a compatibilty problem?

Comment

So if it's only the new stick that is giving the problems then I'd say that ya got a dud but if it's now both then ya may have problems. Did you ground yourself of static before touchin' any thing? :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The original stick still works fine, sorry if it sounded otherwise. So I guess it's a defect then, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X