help error message when xp starts it driving me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help error message when xp starts it driving me crazy

every time i start xp it loads ok, and when i select my login everything loads ok but, when my desktop appears so does, Error
    installiation failed, right in the middle of the screen and right below it is a box that says ok i click it and its gone.Prior to this i did have a problem with the hive file and the computer would not boot i got that fixed but now i have this error any help would be appreciated. note it does not do this in safe mode.

Does it tell you what program has failed the installation? From the sounds of it, you may not have fixed the problem completely with the other program.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

no thats the strange part of this no mention what installation failed no code numbers nothing but i click ok and its gone and everything is fine i dont get it i even tried to disable all start programs is there any way i can disable the error message through the registry.

Comment

Probably not. Error messages like that are basically the OS saying that there is a problem... but if you have fixed the problem and there is no content to the error message, then it's more than likely a residual effect left over from the fix. Unless you uninstall the program and start over, it will probably remain... and there's no guarantee that it will stop even then.

It may end up being something that you're gonna have to live with until your next reformat job.

Quick question though; does everything work all right after you acknowledge the blank error message?
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

every things works fine after the hive file fix the error message started ,and i would say half of my software i had to reinstall but after i acknowledge the error everythind is fine i just wish there is a way to disable it.

Comment

Perhaps youve installed or uninstalled something and whatever it was is still trying to load itself at startup.

Try this:

Click Start->run and type 'msconfig' (w/o quotes)
            The MS Configuration Utility will appear.
            CLick the 'Startup' Tab and there will be a list of programs that start each time you boot into Windows. Check for any programs that you think might be causing the error.

example- I installed ICQ on my sisters celeron box, but she uses MSN and not ICQ. So I uninstalled it but it left the NetDetect.exe in that startup list. Everytim she booted windows it would 'error-cannot find ndetect.exe'
            removing it from the list fixed it up.

Comment

what I`d try is create a new user with admin rights and log in as that user - it may fix your problem

espcially since in safe mode you don't get this error

I suspect that the registry for your current user has gone partially corrupt, by creating a new user XP will generate a a whole new user config which won't be corrupt
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

yeah, probably corrupt registry
                create new sn or use the admin account

Comment

May I recommed RegCleaner (freeware)?

Or Norton WinDoctor (part of Norton Utilities 2002 for XP).

Comment

Thanks for the link to reg clean I used it and got rid of my error on startup!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X