selling XP machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling XP machine

I am selling my computer and have told the buyer windows XP is included. since I bought it for this machine can I reformat it and put in his name as the owner/user for the regestration/activation? Is this legal? does the XP stay with the user(so i can put it on another machine) or the computer?I will have XP on my next computer and dont want to flag microsoft by having 2 computers at different ip's under the same name.

The licensing for WinXP is designed for a single activation code to be used on ONLY a single machine. If you're selling off your surrent machine and want to have WinXP included, then you'll need to send your copy of WinXP with the system when you sell it. This is the only way to pull it off legally.

Also, if you just want to register the WinXP in the buyers name, then you can put his name in the initial install screens and then just don't activate it. WinXP does not require activation until 30 days have expired. He can set it up and then activate it himself.

There are a lot of options of what you can do, but the only legal way to pull it off is to ship your copy of WinXP with the sold system and then buy another.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

thanx darth, that is actually what i want to do(include XP in windows sale)I wasnt sure it was legal.user end licenses are confusing for those of us short a law degree.

Comment

MS reserve the right to change with no notice any and all of their licensing arrangements
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
        X