Is this o/c going to work ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this o/c going to work ???

I've changed a few things about my pc today, in order to squeeze a few extra bits out of it.

Firs, my system: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53), 512MB DDR (1 DIMM), Chaintech GeForce 3 Ti 200, 40GB 7200RPM HDD, SB Live! etc. etc.

So, I have o/c'd both my CPU and GPU, the farthest I could push the athlon (by only using bios, not messing with the CPU by changing L1 stuff phisically) is 1.612 GhZ (1900+).
    The Gf3 was quite easy, Power Strip let me push the Clock/Memory (defualt 175/400) to 233/533.

Also, I have left my case open, so more air can come in, the entire left side is open. I have 4 fans, one is the standard thing in the top back of the case, a CoolerMaster cooler on my CPU, a cheapo Chaintech cooler on my GF3 and another large (diameter of 8cm approx.) fan in the back of the case below the big one, close to both the CPU and VGA card.

I've had a massive performace increase, even with only 100MhZ extra and the Gf3 o/c'd, my system runs smooth.

So, now I only have 3 questions for the pro's:

- I am aware of dangers of overclocking, but do you agree with me that this is quite safe (I'm not pushing it over the top).

- Is the cooling adequate?

- Is it no problem to leave the case open? My PC is in a special PC table, so it fits right in, while there is a speca of 6-7cm open between the left side and the wood (the left side is open, remember???). So can I leave it open?

Please help me out here, thanks alot!

If you're not locking up, you're probably fine. I think you'll just be more susceptible to dust bunnies at most.

Comment

That should be ok as I can get mine up to 2100+ easily. :smokin:

Comment

Got my XP1600 up to 2200+ (check the sig), a little unstable, but stable enough to work with, and am planning on upgrading the RAM VERY soon-like tomorrow. (Should fix the instability.)

Anyhow, as far as the OC, you should be good to go. You could probably even go higher, and still be safe, but it's up to you.

The only way to know if your cooling is effective is to monitor your temps. What are you getting now (idle/load/ambient)? Really, a better thing would be to throw another 80mm (actually a 92 or 120mm fan would be better) in the front-bottom of your case and close it up (Yes, you may have to cut a hole). That way you get better flow through the case. Also, your PC desk may be insulating the system, which could give higher temps. Just something to consider.

Ejoy, and happy OC'ing!

Comment

I gota figure out what's up with mine. I got my 1800+ up to a 2000+ but it would ocasionaly reboot itself. I may need more cooling. I got a thermalright ax-7 and a Delta FFB0812SHE fan. I'm thinking of upping it to a Delta FFB0812EHE. The noise on the Delta FFB0812SHE is actualy prety low, I think. Especialy considering the noise that's usualy going on around my home.

Bustout

Comment

I take it that ya runnin' 2K/XP so the reboot would be happening because of a data error not your temp. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

If you're concerned about noise water cool. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
              X