Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Hard drive Crashes Windows 2K Continously

Good day,
    I recently bought a 2nd hard drive (IBM 120GXP 80Gb) to be installed as a slave to my Maxtor 80Gb Diamondmax. I connected all the cables as per specification, with the jumpers set correctly (Maxtor as primary, IBM as slave). Did the whole fdisk, partitioning and formatting, but every time Windwos 2K starts up, at the logon screen, it just reboots.... I then checked by booting up with Windows Me, but with Windows ME it works fine! The file system on both hard drives were formatted to be FAT32. I would appreciate any helpfull suggestions as I'm out of ideas!
    Kind regards
    Marius

this is only a guess, but i think the 120 GXP is like the 60GXP, win2k doesn't like 60GXPs i had to change to win98 cos win2k wouldn't take my 60GXP :(, then i got winxp and all was good again :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

This sounds hauntingly familiar...

I bought a 60GXP and my Win2k install has been unstable ever since - it just chooses to lock up at random. My 34GXP didn't give me any problems when it was on its own. I am just about to go out and get a 120GXP as I'm running out of space again and in a hope to get away from my stability problem.

Is it having 2 drives that's the issue or is it specifically the IBM hardware?

Tim.

Comment

If I was you I'd stay right away from IBM drives now as they have a lot of issues. Go have a look at the 8MB WD drives instead. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

So are the new 120GXP drives to be avoided also then?

I've read some of the posts and I'm amazed at the trouble people are having. The WD 8MB look a bit expensive.

Tim.

Comment

Yeh, everything labeled "Special Edition" is expensive.
            Wish I had one though, ya' suppose any other manufacturers will try this enhanced cache feature?
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Those IBM 120GXP drives have the same probs that the earlier versions do with regard to heat issues and early death. IBM also recommend that the 120GXP drives are opperated no more than 333hrs per mth which is pretty ridiculous. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I was appalled when I read those reccomendations:eek:

A fantastic HDD -- unless of course you actually want to use it:laugh:
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

OK, so no more IBM. I noticed Hitachi just bought their HD operation as well.

What's the best way to keep my 60GXP alive? Buy a special hard drive fan to keep it cool? If so what's the best style to get? I suspect my case runs a bit warm anyway given all the kit I have, and my Athlon is a microfurnace.

Tim.

Comment

I reckon a fan can't be at all harmful, best in that case to try to draw some fresh air across the drive from outside the case if that is feasible with your setup.

Given the track record of those drives though, a well implemented method of backing up the data is gonna' be the soundest course of action.
                    It's possible that you have one of the few that is going to last forever - but I wouldn't be comfortable wagering your data on that speculation.

Comment

well that is odd that the 60GXPs dont work with win2k, as mine works fine

usually it boils down to drive speed settings and cables. IBM have a utility to adjust settings such as noise level concious operations, speed, temperature, etc.

why not test your IBM drive on the secondary master/slave position, rather than same ide channel as the main drive

i myself use both maxtor and IBM drives, also, i have constant contact with seagate drives as well, and from my experience, i have had 2 quatum (now owned by maxtor) drives die, along with one IBM. the IBM 40Gb drive ran cooler than the 80Gb maxtors i have, and segate 20's are cooler still, the 2 quantums we had were like furnaces and only 9Gb each

the fact of the matter is, that no drive lasts forever, and i think as drive sizes increase, heat is an inevitable obsticle if no newer technology is introduced, and from what i have seen, most HDD company's are all trying new things, and we need this, as I want more bigger hard drives for my array of disks ;)

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
                        well that is odd that the 60GXPs dont work with win2k, as mine works fine
                        i forgot to mention, mine is a 60 gig one
                        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                        X